Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Im an architecture student. I have to work out my

Customer Question

Im an architecture student. I have to work out my foundations of a single story house Im doing. Its a concrete column and non load bearing masonary infill walls. plus a concrete plinth on the exterior that wraps around the building. My question is, what kind of foundations am I to use? Raft? Isolated pad ?- but then the plinth needs a foundation too. Do the columns go to the same depth as the plinth?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Homework
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ive added a picture of the autocad drawing that I have so far. I appreciate your help and really hope you can clarify for me. It's important because it's a competition.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 month ago.
What are you calling a concrete plinth? I don't see it in your detail
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. It's marked on the drawing. Just on the outerface below the cladding. I based it off a drawing in a famous building.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the detail i based it off. And the image of the similar design. But this design was not housing and I can;t see how the columns interact with the foundation. Again, I really appreciate you speaking with me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have questions and would love your help. I'm not sure about the live phone call though. Would that be easier to sort out all the problems in the design?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. I'm now looking at a Raft Foundation. They are cheap, have good seismic abilities, and can combine columns and the outer plinth - outer base course. What do you think? The project is in China
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also looking now at a Passive Foundation System similar to a raft foundation but insulated causing no thermal bridging. Such as this https://www.kore-system.com/blog/8-benefits-of-installing-a-passive-foundation-system
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I can help with a very specific question. This is not intended for multiple iterations. Let me know when you have worked out the question you want to ask.