Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--40+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
1470369

The opening of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 could be the most

Customer Question

The opening of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 could be the most recognizable moment in all of classical music. Surely you know it. The familiar short-short-short-long motive hammers a singlepitch three times, and then plummets: dah-dah-dah-DAAAAH. But here pitch isn't as important as rhythm and its repetition. To see what that means, just watch the animation. It shows how the short-short-short-long riff pops up over and over again in the score. Sometimes the shorts continue to repeat, sometimes the long is held even longer. But from this one musical motive the entire piece grows organically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgXUFnfKIY
When the opening motive is not a clear part of the main musical idea, as is the case, for example, at 0:53 and 2:20, where and how might a related musical figure still be present?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Shannon and welcome. Thanks for your question. I'm very familiar with this famous piece and would like to help you. I have found these two webpages that may explain and answer your question about the two parts of the piece that are not a clear part of the main musical idea: http://myweb.liu.edu/jmeschi/Flash/b5/b5.htm----------You can move back and forth between the excerpts by using the back and forward arrows and also hear the music by clicking on the the notes, themselves. The one I've included, above is the part you mentioned at 0.53 in the youtube link you included.-----------This site also deals with analysis of the piece and explains the reasons for using certain instruments and keys in parts that don't include the main musical idea: http://www.edepot.com/beetsyminfo.html#symphony5------------Even though, in these two segments you mentioned in the video you included, the repetition of the main idea from the opening motive is not heard, it is my opinion that this was intentional, to 'cleanse the palate,' as they say, as a respite from the main idea and all its repetition throughout the symphony. If there is any additional information you can add to the last line of your question, that would be helpful. Also, for which class and from which school are you taking this course? Please let me know if you need more information by clicking 'reply' before rating, and I will be glad to continue. Do not rate negatively if you feel this answer is lacking information. Just click 'Reply to Expert' and I will continue to help until you find the answer satisfactory and can rate with 5 stars, so I am credited for my assistance. Thank you very much,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.