Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Concerning degradation of the Krebs cycle by an excess of

Customer Question

Concerning degradation of the Krebs cycle by an excess of citiric acid in mitochondria, what mechanisms will cause the citric acid excess? is it possible to cause the citric acid excess by adding dilute citric acid to the soil?I realize that this question requires a botanist but there is no professional category that is close.Thanks
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Can you provide the specifics of what you are needing for this prompt as what you have provided above does not really show what is required. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to find an expert who is best able to support your needs.

You can upload using a file sharing site such as mediafire.com or wikisend.com and then share the link here with us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,I'm investigating the potential use of citric acid to damage weeds. I've found a couple of references to this possibility (quoted below) and I'm looking for means to introduce an excess of citric acid into a plant/weed. I'm assuming that adding citric acid to the soil around the plant/weed will do the trick but I'm looking for confirmation."Citric acid is a corrosive agent and will therefore burn through seeds, which may ultimately prevent them from germinating. Adding too much acid to the soil will create acidic soil, which will acidify any water added to the soil. The acid may burn the plant's root system when it is absorbed, leading to inefficient nutrient absorption and eventual death." - http://www.ehow.com/info_10053444_effects-citric-acid-plants.html"The Krebs Cycle, or Citric Acid Cycle, is used by plants to convert various citric acids into phosphates, which serve as a source of energy for the cell. The cycle relies on a delicate supply of citric acid, which it converts to citrate. Too much citric acid in the water of a plant may interrupt this cycle or lead to excess phosphates." - http://www.ehow.com/info_10053444_effects-citric-acid-plants.html"If the citric acid balance is offset, then the krebs cycle will be disrupted. Essentially, an increase in acidity will cause a buildup of acid. Accordingly, there is then an inadequate supply of oxygen and this creates a hypoxic condition, preventing the complete aerobic metabolism of glucose. Overall, unbalanced acidity will lead to an inappropriate amount of hydrogen ions, which then alters how much ATP is used and made." - asciandwildlifebio (JustAnswer tutor) in response to previous question.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your effort.