karthik4java
karthik4java, Engineer
Experience:  I am Bachelors degree holder and having 3 years of work experience. Where i can complete the documents in professional
44418498

I am working with AS 2 due to a limitation with the final

Customer Question

Hi - I am working with AS 2 due to a limitation with the final output and am needing to find code to add a fast forward and rewind function to a movie clip timeline.
The function would need to continue until the button is released and would be great to be able to adjust the frame skip rate in the code.
The final project will have a number of movie clips that need this functionality.
Help much appreciated
Category: Homework
Expert:  Jason Carlamere replied 1 year ago.

Hello - Thank you for your question.

Since you are required to use AS2 rather then AS3, I would suggest using a library called MCTween for what you are trying to accomplish. http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/index.html. When you goto the site there is a download tab at the top. Download the library and follow the instructions listed on how to install it. There also is an examples section that shows how to use the library. I think you will find this very easy to use.

Basically what you are going to want to do is

extract the AS file and copy it to the location of the FLA file in your project.

Include the .as file where you have your code... #include ".xxxx....as" - where xxx is the name of the extracted .as file

Then the following code can control the timeline.

myButton.onPress = function(): Void {
play();
}
myButton.onRelease = function(): Void {
frameTo(<frame you want to goto>, <duration to play that frame>, <kind of easing.. i.e. "linear">);

}

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jason - I'll give it a shot and get back to youRegards Grant

Sounds good Grant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason Im getting this in the compiler errors relating to the button ASSymbol=click01_MC, layer=actions, frame=1, Line 7 Operator '=' must be followed by an operand

I will need to see the source

Please upload at a minimum line 5 - 10 so I can take a look.

Hello - Were you able to export your source out so that I can take a look and solve your issue. I think that you are really close to solving your problem and together we should be able to get your program compiling. Look forward to assisting you

Hello - I did some research to see if anyone else had the compile issue that you have and I did find 1 post where the developer had the issue because the object was not in proper library or symbol. Don't know if this could be your case or not.

I'm assuming this error did not exist prior to incorporating the library right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
sorry ive been unavailable for a couple days.
I should have given you some context - I set up a project to just test your solution so currently it only has the coding you suggested earlier.I believe I have the mc_tween2 file setup right as per your instructions.line 7 the error message is refering to is the line starting with 'frameTo' below#include "mc_tween2.as"myButton.onPress = function(): Void {
play();
}
myButton.onRelease = function(): Void {
frameTo(, , );}Just to clarify - am i able to set up the movieclip controls I need such as play, pause, rewind and fastforward with the mc_tween2 asCheers

Hello - No problem, I am here to assist you when you need me. I apologize for my miscommunication. I was referencing an older version of the library with the play and the frameTo calls. I think your compile errors is due to the methods not existing in the library.

I looked at the latest documentation on the library and provided the links to the API.

This is a link to pause your movie clip - http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/doc_pausetween.html

This is a link to resume a paused movie clip - http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/doc_resumetween.html

This is a link to stop the movie clip - http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/doc_stoptween.html

This is a link to start a movie clip - http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/doc_tween.html

I'm gonna spin up a VM and see if I can prototype something for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason
Thanks - are you able to confirm that we can setup fastforward and rewind functionality for a movieclip with the ability to set the frame skip rate with in the source code.Cheers

Hi -

Yes - the frameTo should be able to be used for fast forward and rewind

http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/doc_frameto.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very cool - look forward to the prototypecheers

Sure, I see what I can put together.. - In the meantime - were you able to get a try at using the references and methods I posted above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sorry Jason - I'm not able to get to it at the momentCheers

Ok - no problem. I am going to opt out of the question as to not hold any other expert responses.

Hello Again - I have the library loaded up in FlashBuilder and will work on some examples.. Just wanted to give you some status

Hello Again - Hope all is well. I verified with a few of my peers that the library can be used to perform your intended functionality. I am going to release this thread as I have no further suggestions. However, if you get the chance to try the suggestions that I have given along with the links that I have provided you will be good to go.

Expert:  karthik4java replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.