Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. In order new word to be maintained in your vocabulary,

Customer Question
1. In order for a...
1. In order for a new word to be maintained in your vocabulary, you must _______ it.
A. pronounce
B. read
C. define
D. use
2. Which of the following sentences uses the best close-up words?
A. Sara is pursuing a degree.
B. Sara is studying French and German.
C. Sara is pursuing a non-science degree.
D. Sara is studying languages.
3. Freewriting is an exercise in which you
A. write whatever thoughts come to mind.
B. rewrite an article in a magazine or newspaper.
C. write only grammatically correct sentences.
D. revise and polish an essay.
4. Always allow _______ to complete a writing project.
A. at least one day
B. just enough time
C. about one week
D. more time than you think you will need
5. Nelson's hobby is tinkering with small appliances.
Tinkering with implies that Nelson is unskilled at his hobby. You want to change the flavor of this sentence
to show that Nelson is, in fact, quite skilled at his hobby. Which of the following should you choose to
replace tinkering with so that the reader gets the right idea?
A. Messing with
B. Selling
C. Fiddling with
D. Repairing
6. Read the word in parentheses; then decide which of these sentences most effectively translates an
abstract concept into a mental picture.
A. (Honesty) Jamal told the truth when asked why his cellphone wouldn't work.
B. (Rumors) Whispers of doubt filled the empty halls like the reek of rotten eggs.
C. (Studious) Lucy lay on her bed reading a back issue of National Geographic.
D. (Freedom) On her twenty-first birthday, Lola declared herself a woman.
7. When we speak of the flavor of a word, we're talking about the extra understood meanings that it carries
in addition to its main meaning. These extra meanings are called
A. definitions.
B. denotations.
C. connotations.
D. synonyms.
8. Choose the word that best fills-in the blank.
He went into a long _______ about the outcome of the last election after it was mentioned on the news.
A. rant
B. fastidious
C. quibble
D. assert
9. To vary the sentence structure, which one of the answer choices should you insert into the blank space?
Anna is an exceptional young girl. _______ Anna does any job that needs to be done.
A. Anna is a hardworking and versatile person.
B. Anna works hard every day of her life.
C. Anna is always working hard at home.
D. Have you noticed how hard she works?
10. What is the most important point in the following sentence?
My sister, Emily, the tallest girl in her class, has many friends.
A. Emily has many friends.
B. Emily is the tallest girl in her class.
C. Emily is my sister.
D. My sister's name is Emily.
11. Which of the following words is most likely to carry a connotation?
A. Stride
B. Walk
C. Stand
D. Run
12. In order to become a better writer, you must read
A. only nonfiction.
B. good writing.
C. only novels.
D. anything except magazines.
13. Which of the following direct quotations is punctuated properly?
A. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run"!
B. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run"!
C. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run!"
D. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run!"
14. Of the following methods, the best way to increase your reading is by
A. setting a goal to read five new pages every night.
B. forcing yourself to read subjects you dislike.
C. reading a new book every day.
D. joining a mail-order book club.
15. Which of the following sentences is written in the passive voice?
A. They considered their options.
B. I would not provoke that man if I were you.
C. The effects of cyanide are well known.
D. Having left the building, Elvis never returned.
16. Antonyms are words that are
A. the same in meaning.
B. defined in a thesaurus.
C. opposite in meaning.
D. pronounced the same.
17. Which of the following sentences is written in the active voice?
A. I was told by the chairman that the bill was passed by the legislature.
B. The chairman told me that the legislature passed the bill.
C. The bill was passed by the legislature.
D. It was voted by the legislature to pass.
18. Listing your ideas in order to generate a topic for your writing project is
A. webbing.
B. planning.
C. brainstorming.
D. freewriting.
End of exam
19. Which one of the following statements about making your writing fun to read is correct?
A. Make your writing less personal.
B. An anecdote or humorous quotation is often less convincing than a strong argument.
C. The conversation you write must sound natural for the characters.
D. Direct quotations should be reserved for characters in stories.
20. Of these four words, which one is most likely to have a negative flavor or connotation?
A. Harangue
B. Distract
C. Confuse
D. Meander
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Homework
8/10/2015
Tutor: Cher, Teacher replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Teacher
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help with your questions today; however, your current offer for the number of questions listed, is quite low, compared to other exams I've answered in this category.
If you would be willing to add $20 to your current offer OR agree to add a $20 bonus when you accept the answer, that would be greatly appreciated.
Can you please let me know the title/number of the examination? Thanks!
Also, by when do you need this completed?
Best regards,
Cher
Hi Cher, i have already put down $17 and i have paid $27 the monthly membership fee to ask unlimited questions so this is now confusing.
Thanks.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
I'm already working on your questions and if you feel it is warranted when you rate my answer, a bonus would be greatly appreciated.
By when do you need the answers completed?
Thanks,
Cher
I am sorry, you can hold off. I need to speak with someone so i can get clarification on what i am being charged for, i have used you guys before but i think things have changed. I am trying understand the the deposit part and the membership fee, which i thought was $27 but i have actually been charged $48.
I understand your dilemma.
I'm almost finished with the exam, so when you're ready to receive the answers, please let me know, after you clarify things with the site.
Best wishes,
Cher
Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate