Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

ObjectiveCreate an initial design database schema

Customer Question
Objective Create an initial design for...
Objective
Create an initial design for the database schema for an online DVD rental business that is similar to the DVD rental portion of the business pioneered by NetFlix®. Map your conceptual design into your approved DBMS, and implement the database schema. We will call this NetFlix® subset the classic default term project.
Default Project Description
Design a database for a DVD rental business such as Netflix.com. The store rents DVDs online. The customer business model is illustrated below.
In order to rent a movie, a person must be enrolled at the online store. There are two different membership programs. As quoted from NetFlix®:
“With NetFlix you can rent as many DVDs from the comfort of your home and have them delivered to your door in about 1 business day. There are no late fees and no due dates, and shipping is free both ways. Programs start at $11.99 plus any applicable tax. With our most popular program, 3-at-a-time, you can rent as many DVDs as you want for just $17.99 a month. You keep a revolving library of up to 3 DVDs at a time and can exchange them for new available DVDs as often as you like. ... Our 2-at-a-time program (limit 4 DVDs per month) is $11.99 plus any applicable tax per month.” (From http://www.netflix.com)
Below is an example use case to aid in understanding the Netflix operation: 1. Acustomersignsupforthe3-at-a-timeprogram.
2. Thesamecustomeradds10moviestotheirqueue.
3. Netflix mails to the customer the first three movies in their queue.

Copyright 2008‐2015 Boston University. All Rights Reserved.
Page 1 of 6
4. ThecustomerwatchesandreturnsthefirstmovietoNetflix.
5. Netflixmailsoutthenextmovieinthequeuetothecustomer,whichisthefourthmovie
added to the queue in Step #3.
6. Thecustomerclosestheiraccount,butonlyreturnstwoofthethreemoviesthecustomer
has at home.
7. Netflixchargesthecustomer$25forthemissingmovie.
This use case is not exhaustive. There will be elements in your database mentioned in the Netflix specification, but not mentioned in this use case.
The database will store membership information for each person, the movies she/he rented, movies in the queue to be rented, when were these movies returned, and so on.
The rental history is used for two purposes:
 To give employees a basis to work from when they are asked what movie the customer has rented out or if it was lost in mail
 To determine if the movie was never mailed back by the customer
The database that you design must support all the usual value chain operations occurring at a video rental e-store. You will design the Entity-Relationship model (ERD) for this database, and its corresponding relational model. It is not possible to attempt a full production-capable database for a large enterprise such as NetFlix in the time period afforded by this course; such a database would have a few hundred tables. A general guideline is that to effectively create this design for this course, the logical ERD should have between 10 and 20 entities. This number is ***** exact and will vary according to your specific implementation. Example entities include Customer, Movie, Rental, and Queue.
Note that this implementation need not provide for streaming or downloadable movie content.
Use Cases
Below are 10 use-cases. A complete schema design will allow all ten of these use cases to be addressed in full. For use cases where information is requested, provide a single query to retrieve the information. For use cases that require data modification, develop a stored procedure that performs the modifications, and invoke the store procedure. The store procedures you create should be designed to be reusable, by making use of one or more parameters. For example, the stored procedure for use case #***** should use a parameter to specify the particular customer’s queue that will be modified.
Page 2 of 6
1) A customer requests the titles of all movies that are directed by "George Lucas" or by “Rich Christiano”. Write a single query that retrieves this information.
2) Management requests the names of all currently active customers, as well as the name of the current plan in which each of these customers is enrolled. Write a single query that retrieves this information.
3) A customer wants to add a movie to their queue so that the newly added movie will be the next movie they receive. Develop a parameterized stored procedure that accomplishes this, then invoke the stored procedure for a customer of your choosing.
4) A customer requests the titles of all the DVD’s that he or she has not rented. Write a single query that retrieves this information for a customer of your choosing.
5) A customer cancels their membership and does not return a rented DVD, necessitating that a $25 DVD replacement fee be charged to their account. Develop a parameterized stored procedure that accomplishes this, then invoke the stored procedure for a customer of your choosing.
6) A customer enrolled in the two-at-a-time plan cancels their membership. When a customer cancels their membership, they become inactive, but their DVD queue and rental history remains in the database, in the event they return as a customer. Develop a parameterized stored procedure that accomplishes this, then invoke the stored procedure for a customer of your choosing.
7) Management requests the names of all movies that are currently sold out. A movie is sold out if all copies of the movie are currently rented and not yet returned. Write a single query that retrieves this information for management.
8) Management requests identification of the plan with the most customer enrollees, and for that plan, the name, number of DVDs allowed at one time, and the number of customer enrollees. Write a single query that retrieves this information for management.
9) Management requests the names of all customers, and for each customer, the titles of the movies that they rented multiple times. For each title, management would like to see the number of times it was rented by the customer, only including titles that the customer rented more than once. If a customer has no rentals, or did not rent any movies multiple times, management does not want to see them in the list. Write a single query that retrieves this information for management.
10) Management requests the titles of all movies, and for each movie, the number of different customers that rented the movie. They would like the list to be ordered from the highest number of different rentals to the lowest number. Multiple rentals of the same movie by the same customer only count as one unique rental. Management is interested in the number of different customers that rented the movie, but not whether the same customer rented the same movie more than once. Write a single query that retrieves this information for management.
Your logical ERD will be mapped to a relational database schema through the use of SQL. The schema should contain tables, primary and foreign keys, indexes, and optionally triggers and stored procedures. The primary and foreign keys will help enforce the relationships indicated in the logical ERD, and help enforce referential integrity. The tables need to be filled with some fictional data. Make sure you integrate sample data from the situations above, for example, ‘Spielberg’ should exist in your database. Some tables may just need a few rows. Barring extraordinary circumstances, each table should need no more than 15 rows to effectively demonstrate the correctness of the queries, triggers, and stored procedures. You may need to be creative when inserting the data so that the queries return reasonable results.
Page 3 of 6
Make sure you assign a genre to the DVD movies. A non-exhaustive, example list of genres is given below:
 Thriller
 Sci-Fi
 Comedy
 Drama
 Miscellaneous
Focus on the key value chain tables required for the situations above and related situations. Do not include subschemas for credit card processing, accounting, human relations, marketing, or the many other functional areas of a large enterprise. Concentrate on the value chain operations, which are those involved in the basic processing of customer activities – the activities that directly provide value to the customer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Homework
Please i need this ASAP! I can pay extra for a swift response
Answered in 3 days by:
5/28/2015
Tutor: Mr. Gregory White, Professor replied 2 years ago
Mr. Gregory White
Hello, my name is Greg.
Is there any other information you can send to see if I can assist on it this for you? If you have any documents you can upload, you can do so to mediafire.com or box.com and share the link here with us.
If I had a model and could provide that as a model (would have to check files to see if I have one), would that be sufficient or are you seeking a fully written new model document?
am actually requesting a fully written new model document including the entities and the attributes as well. and also the relationships.
Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate