Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

The most abundant constituent of air in todays atmosphere

The most abundant constituent of...
The most abundant constituent of air in today's atmosphere is:
A) nitrogen
B) oxygen
C) helium
D) ozone
2.
Although carbon dioxide makes up a major component of the 2nd atmosphere it is a minor component in modern-day atmosphere. Why?
A) It was removed from the second atmosphere to form the oceans
B) It is a major component in the modern-day atmosphere
C) It was used to form limestone reefs
D) It bonded with iron to form the banded iron formations
3.
If all life on Earth were to cease, the atmosphere would revert to its primitive, oxygen-poor composition and become poisonous to modern plants and animals.
A) True
B) False
4.
The layer of air closest to the Earth is the:
A) tropopause
B) troposphere
C) mesosphere
D) stratosphere
5.
Which of the following parts of the atmosphere contains the highest air pressure?
A) Troposphere
B) Stratosphere
C) Mesosphere
D) Thermosphere
6.
Which of the following orders of the layers of the atmosphere is correct? (Start with the layer closest to the Earth):
A) thermosphere; stratosphere; troposphere; mesosphere
B) troposphere; mesosphere; stratosphere; thermosphere
C) stratosphere; troposphere; mesosphere; thermosphere
D) troposphere; stratosphere; mesosphere; thermosphere
7.
The portion of the atmosphere that has very little interaction between the air molecules and the energy from the sun is the:
A) tropopause
B) troposphere
C) mesosphere
D) thermosphere
8.
What causes the temperature variation in the stratosphere?
A) The hydrosphere
B) Greenhouse gases
C) The ozone layer
D) The temperature does not vary
9.
The largest source of air pollutants in the United States is:
A) power plants
B) transportation
C) factories
D) wood burning-stoves
10/24/2013
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student

Ray Atkinson :

When is this due, please? I can do the work, but I have to run out for a bit. If this is due in the next couple hours, I will opt out.

Ray Atkinson :

I will be back.

Ray Atkinson :

Thank you for requesting me. I have most of them done. Just 2 I need to check my facts on. I will be back in about 2 hours.

Ray Atkinson :

1A 2C 3A
4B 5A 6D
7C 8C 9B

Customer:

The atmosphere is heated as a result of the interaction between the incoming energy and the _______________________ in the atmosphere.

A) Elements
B) Clouds
C) Conduction
D) Latitudes

2.

Which is not an electromagnetic wave?

A) Light
B) Sound
C) Radio waves
D) X-rays
E) Infrared rays

3.

Match the statement with the correct process.

A. Absorption
B. Reflected
C. Emission
D. Scattering

ABCDReleases heat by moving electrons to lower energy levels

ABCDEnergy is split into multiple waves of energy that radiates out in multiple directions

ABCDConverts radiant energy into heat by moving electrons to higher energy levels

ABCDEnergy bounces off the atoms and electrons are unaffected

4.

When an object absorbs radiation:

A) the photons disappear and are converted to another form of energy
B) the energy is lost
C) the photons reflect out to space
D) the photons slow down
E) the photons speed up

5.

Which of the following process is involved in producing the color of the sky?

A) Absorption
B) Reflection
C) Scattering
D) Emission
E) Transmission

6.

_________percent of the incoming solar radiation reaches Earth's surface.

A) 1
B) 99
C) 47
D) 8
E) 80

7.

Why doesn't Earth get hot enough to boil oceans and melt rocks from the radiant energy it absorbs from the Sun?

A) The energy disappears
B) The atmosphere cools the Earth
C) The Sun sets at night
D) Rocks, soil, and water re-radiate all the energy they absorb from the Sun
E) The oceans keep the Earth cool

8.

Identify which statements about the Earh's atmosphere is true.

A. True
B. False

ABGreenhouse gases absorb UV energy causing the troposphere to heat up

ABThe evaporation of water from the oceans causes the surrounding atmosphere to become hotter

ABThe heat in the atmosphere is transported more easily by conduction when less atoms are available

ABThe high latitudes are colder than the low latitudes

9.

If scientists were to spread a thin layer of ashes on the Antarctic ice cap, we would expect that the albedo of the region would:

A) increase leading to warming of the region
B) increase leading to regional cooling
C) decrease leading to regional warming
D) decrease leading to regional cooling

10.

What is the difference between greenhouse gases and the ozone layer?

A) Greenhouse gases keep radiation in the atmosphere and ozone blocks radiation from getting into the atmospehre
B) They are both the same
C) Greenhouse gases absorb UV radiation and the ozone layer does not
D) Greenhouse gases are located in the stratosphere and the ozone layer is in the troposphere

Customer:

Ozone is

A) a form of oxygen that consists of 3 oxygen atoms bonded together
B) is only found near the surface of the earth
C) an important greenhouse gas
D) a man made form of oxygen

2.

Ozone is formed

A) by the the chemical bonding of one diatomic oxygen molecule and one mono-atomic oxygen molecule coupled with the release of infra-red radiation
B) only by man-made processes
C) by the interaction of oxygen and CFC’s
D) as a by product of the burning of fossil fuels

3.

Ozone protects us from ultra violet radiation

A) True
B) False

4.

Ozone protects from infra red radiation

A) True
B) False

5.

Ozone depletion is a result of the interaction of Chlorine ions and CFC’s

A) True
B) False

6.

Ozone depletion is caused by the release of unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere

A) True
B) False

7.

The hole in the ozone layer is

A) found only in the Antarctic
B) found in equatorial regions
C) present in both polar regions
D) present world-wide

8.

The hole in the ozone layer is a result of

A) the interaction of sulfur dioxide and ozone molecules
B) increasing amounts of chlorine ions in the ozone layer
C) the breakdown of CFC’s and the development of the polar vortex wind patterns
D) totally natural causes and is not man induced
E) B and C of the above

9.

The hole in the ozone layer is the principal cause of global climate change

A) True
B) False

10.

Ozone depletion is not important because it does not affect man directly

A) True
B) False

Customer:

this is the last part i will give you a bonus

Ray Atkinson :

can you explain #3?

Customer:

you can skip that one sorry

Ray Atkinson :

Oh! They each need an answer. I get it. Just like #8.

Ray Atkinson :

1A 2B
3CDAB
4A 5C
6C 7D
8ABBA
9C 10A
1A 2A
3A 4B
5A 6A
7C (argue it if your prof marks it wrong)
8E 9B 10B

Ray Atkinson :

Change 8(b) to true.

Ray Atkinson :

I am 60% sure. i think the increase in humidity to only make the air feel warmer, but not actually warmer.

Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student