Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1)According to Socrates: A) Justice is the will of the stronger.

B) Money comes from being...
1)According to Socrates: A) Justice is the will of the stronger. B) Money comes from being virtuous. C) Virtue comes from having money. D) Might makes right. 2) Deductive reasoning is best described as: A) Reasoning from particular facts to conclusions. B) Making a deduction in the sense of a “hunch” or guess. C) Reasoning from general principles to conclusions. D) Not used in ethics since the subject matter is too vague 3) Pursuant to Legal Positivism A) There is no such thing as a bad or unjust law. B) The law is the basis for morality. C) If one is acting legally, then one is acting morally. D) All are true. 4) Which of the following is a false statement? A. All ethical standards are automatically incorporated into the law upon promulgation. B. It is possible for a course of action to simultaneously be unethical/immoral but legal. C. Pursuant to Ethical Emotism, persons can decide for themselves based on their own feelings whether a course of action is moral or immoral. D. Under a religious-based ethics one might look to either a “holy book” or religious leader for guidance as to morality. 5) Which of the following is not a correct statement? A) Pursuant to Kantian ethics, morality is judged by a person's act. B) Pursuant to most ethical theories, law and ethical standards never conflict with one another; and thus if something is a law, it is, by definition, moral. C) Pursuant to an ethics based on conscience or intuition, a person looks solely within himself or herself for ethical codes or moral determinations. D) John Locke and Jean Jacques Rousseau would support the Social Contract theory of morality.
10/10/2013
Ellen, Lawyer

Welcome back Jessica

I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

It looks like you have 5 questions in total. I am working on your answers now

Attached are my answers for comparison with your own:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m4rbeu6zv9e99kr

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can

1)Susan Sharpe, an amateur but very smart stock trader, by means of properly analyzing public sources of information and using her native intelligence and keen deductive powers correctly reasons that Big Oil Company has discovered oil in its holdings off Vietnam. In fact, the company has discovered oil, a lot of oil, but that information is kept highly confidential in the company. Susan buys shares of stock in Big Oil based on her deductions alone. She is correct in her deductions and as a result makes a great deal of money when the oil discovery is announced by Big Oil and its stock prices soar. Susan can best be described as acting:

a. Illegally since she is a misappropriator of insider information who wrongfully purchased stock based on the inside information. b. Illegally since the level-playing-field theory is the prevailing legal theory of insider trading and obviously Susan had more and better information than the people she purchased the stock from. c. Legally since she is a very smart, and perhaps a bit lucky, trader. d. Immorally pursuant to Machiavellian ethics since she took advantage of someone who was ignorant and thus she committed a traditional bad act.

2)Christina, a salesperson for Delta Computer Corporation, attempts to apply ethical principles in dealing with customers and suppliers. Ethical principles are, according to Socrates:

A) Absolute and universal B) Constantly changing C) Flexible and supple D) Not applicable to business entities since they exist to make money.3)The British economist and philosopher XXXXX XXXXX would best say that: A) Ethical egoism is bad since it encourages selfish behavior. B) Satisfying one’s desires leads to sensuality and lust and therefore is evil. C) The government will serve as the “invisible hand” to take care of people. D) Satisfying one’s desires and achieving one’s goals are very laudable principles of action and morality. 4) Pursuant to Legal Positivism,

A) There is no such thing as a bad or unjust law. B) The law is the basis for morality. C) If one is acting legally, then one is acting morally. D) All are true.

Hi Jessica,

I thought that there were 5 questions in total. How many questions do you need help with?

my computer had a glitch. i think its 10 in total for now i have others as well but ill let you know further along! Ill try and make sure i get them to you

The British economist and philosopher XXXXX XXXXX would best say that:Answer

Ethical egoism is bad since it encourages selfish behavior.
Satisfying one’s desires leads to sensuality and lust and therefore is evil.
The government will serve as the “invisible hand” to take care of people.
Satisfying one’s desires and achieving one’s goals are very laudable principles of action and morality
this one didnt attach either :/

ill be sure to give you a great bonus! u've been sooo helpful!!

c. Legally since she is a very smart, and perhaps a bit lucky, trader.

A) Absolute and universal

3)The British economist and philosopher XXXXX XXXXX would best say that: D) Satisfying one’s desires and achieving one’s goals are very laudable principles of action and morality.

4) Pursuant to Legal Positivism,

A) There is no such thing as a bad or unjust law.

Thanks in advance for the bonus. I appreciate it.

Ellen, Lawyer

how do I submit more questions to you? Can I do it through here and just add it to the bonus?

Yes - that is fine

great give me one second. sorry

I have to step away from computer for about 1 hour. Is that ok

1)A war against the repressive government erupts in Country X. The U.S. Congress wants to draft U.S. citizens into the military to help the people of Country X fight for independence. Members of Congress believe that although some U.S. troops may die, hundreds of thousands of people in Country X will be given freedom. The President of the U.S., however, believes that individuals should have the right to choose from themselves whether to fight or not and thus opposes the idea of a draft. Congress' feelings closely mirror: A)Kantian ethics B)Utilitarianism C)Religious ethics D)Aristotle's Virtue Ethics 2) Fine Clothes Company buys clothing assembled by Gamma, Ltd, a foreign firm that employs young children for long hours and low pay. Gamma's nation does not enforce its child labor laws. Human International Politics (HIP), a political activist organization, discovers Fine Clothes' connection to Gamma and plans to reveal this information. Before HIP does so, however, Fine Clothes publicly releases the information itself, states that it is "shocked and disappointed" by Gamma, and announces that it is severing its relationship with Gamma. Fine Clothes adroitly publicizes its action in its advertising, and the company's sales and profits increase, apparently as a direct result. From an ethical perspective, Fine's conduct can best be characterized as: A) Legal, moral, and socially responsible B) Ethically egoistic C) Immoral since most advertisers usually misrepresent things D) In conformity with Kantian ethics. 3) An ethical analysis of mergers can result in: A) A merger being deemed moral pursuant to Utilitarian ethics since a majority of stakeholders benefit from the merger. B) A merger being deemed illegal and immoral pursuant to Legal Positivism because it produces a monopoly or substantially lessens competition in a pertinent market. C) A merger being deemed immoral pursuant to Kantian ethics because one stakeholder group bears the brunt of the negative consequences of the merger. D) All of the above are possible. 4) Andersen works for the public relations department of Sigma Sales Company. His job includes putting a "good face" and a positive "spin" on the company's successes as well as its failures and shortcomings. In this context, "ethics" mainly consists of: A) Machiavellianism B) Aristotle's Virtue Ethics C) Plato's conception of a "just" organization D) "Revealed" higher truths. 5) Mega Corporation engages in ethical behavior solely for the purpose of getting good publicity and thereby increasing profits. Mega is A) Acting immorally in pursuit of profits B) Acting unethically in the pursuit of good publicity C) Acting unethically in setting its priorities D )Not acting unethically if one is an ethical egoist. 6) Ace Tool Company's decision-makers view a particular risk in the use of Ace's product as open and obvious to consumers. Continuing to market the product without explicitly telling consumers of the risk very likely would NOT be justified from a perspective of A) Machiavellian ethics B) Kantian ethics C) Ethical Egoism D) Utilitarian ethics 7) In the old, American, pre-Civil War South, slavery ethically could be considered:A. Moral if one was a Legal Positivist. B. Moral if one was an Ethical Relativist C. Immoral if one was a Kantian D. All of the above. 8) A key aspect of business leadership today is: A) Creating and communicating a vision. B) Securing acceptance of the vision and inspiring followers to realize the vision. C) Convincing followers and stakeholders that the vision is an inherently moral one. D) All of the above. 9) Engel Tool Company's decision-makers view a particular risk in the use of the company's product as "open and obvious." Continuing to market the product without telling consumers of the risk could be best justified from a perspective of: A)Aristotle's Virtue Ethics B) Kantian ethics C) Natural Law theory D)Utilitarian ethics. 10)When it comes to doing traditionally and conventionally "bad" actions in business, such as deceiving and misleading, Machiavelli would likely say: A) Do not do them since they are probably illegal. B) Do not do them since people may condemn them as immoral acts. C) Do them only if absolutely necessary and do them in a smart, clever, and crafty way. D) Do not do them since they are regarded as wrong and transgressions by religions.

Hey I was wondering if you recieved the others

I hope that you received my post stating that I would be away from the computer for an hour. I am back now and will answer the additional questions.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ellen, Lawyer

thank you so much!

I have other question where can i submit them?

You can leave a bonus and then open a new question page:-)

Here is a convenient link:
http://www.justanswer.com/homework/expert-fivestarlaw/

i tried submitting a bonusand ive contacted customer service already.

I was trying to submit the questions to you but it looks like i didnt go to you? are you able to see my questions?

Yep - I found them! Thanks
Ellen, Lawyer