Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

I need the same answer to the Network Design question for UMUC

265. UMUC has recently acquired a...
I need the same answer to the Network Design question for UMUC 265.

UMUC has recently acquired a building in Frederick, Maryland. This new building will house some administrative offices, lecture rooms, library, and computer labs.

Building dimensions:
Length: 240 Feet
Width: 95 Feet
Height: 30 Feet

The 40-year-old two-story building has the following existing layout:

There will be six computer labs that will be used for instruction. Each of these labs will have 21 computers (20 student computers and 1 instructor computer). Each of these labs will also have a server in the closet located inside the lab.

In addition to the six computer labs, there will also be a Student Computer Lab that will provide computer access to students to do their homework. There will be 30 computers in this lab and a server in the closet.

The library will also have some computers to allow students access to the library resources. There will be 10 computers for student’s use in the library, and 5 computers for Library staff.

There are five lecture classrooms in the building. Each of this room will have a computer for instructor’s use.

Finally, there are various offices in the building. Each of these offices will have one computer for the staff use, with the exception of the Admission office that will have 5 computers for staff use.

Equipment Inventory

Workstation
Placement Number of
Workstations Users Total WS
6 Instructional
Computer labs 21 WS Student and
Instructor 132 WS
(based on 20 WS for students and 1 WS for instructor on each lab)
Student Computer Lab 30 WS Student 30 WS
5 various offices 5 WS Staff 5 WS
Admission office 5 WS Staff 5 WS
Library 10 WS Student 10 WS
Library 5 WS Staff 5 WS
Server Staff To be determined by students
Network Connecting
Devices IT Staff To be determined by students
Printers To be determined by student

Two server rooms have been allocated, one on the first floor and one on the second floor.

Your task is to design the network for this new building with the following criteria:
• Student-accessed computers should be on separate network from the staff-accessed computers.
• The whole building will share one Internet access connection (T-1 link from Verizon). This connection will come into the Server Room on the first floor.
• Security is very important for UMUC as we have to protect students and employees data as well as any intellectual property that UMUC has on the servers and computers.
• The network has been assigned the 10.15.0.0 network address for all computers and devices. For Internet routing use 191.1.1 network address.
• The network should use physical cable (not wireless), but do provide wireless access in the Student Lobby area.

Submission should include (in no more than three pages, excluding diagrams and references):

Network Addressing:
1. Define the subnet (based on: rooms, floor, department, or other criteria).
2. For each subnet, define the network address, subnet mask, and available IP addresses to be used by computers or devices.

Physical Network Design:
1. Define the topology that will be used.
2. Select the appropriate network media to use.
3. Select the appropriate network connecting devices to use.
4. Physical layout of the computers on the floor plan.
5. List of additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.
6. Justifications for your network design (number 1 – 5 above)

You will be evaluated on your ability to

o Implement appropriate IP addressing scheme
o select and justify appropriate cable media that includes the length of each cable segment and number of nodes on each segment
o select and justify appropriate topology such as star, bus, or ring for your network
o select and justify of your selected network equipments
o select and justify appropriate network services to meet network requirements
o select and justify security implementation for the network
o use proper grammar, formatting, network terminology, and reference citations

Feel free to use any drawings or attachments, and assume any number of computers or users (not when provided here). You will be graded on the basis of right media, topology and knowledge of network concepts.
10/3/2013
David L.
David L., Engineer

David L. :

Hello, Thank you for requesting me. Please click the link to download the report: click here

David L. :

Let me know if you have questions after reviewing the report. Thanks.

David L.
David L., Engineer
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
David L.
David L.
David L., Engineer