Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

222mk, Explain the consequences of plagiarism. Read the "Plagiari

Customer Question
Explain the consequences of plagiarism...

Explain the consequences of plagiarism. Read the "Plagiarism Story." What are the potential consequences of Steven's academic dishonesty? What would you do if you were in a similar situation as Steven? What resources are there at GCU to help you so you do not resort to academic dishonesty? write two full pages

Plagiarism Story Steven was almost done with his final semester of college. Three more weeks and he would finally have that diploma in his hand. It had been a difficult journey. He went back to school almost 4 years ago. He started college right out of high school, but quit after his first year so he could work full time. Five years later, he decided he needed to finish his degree. Steven wasn’t getting anywhere in his career and knew he needed to make some sacrifices…he needed to buckle down and finish school. The past year had been particularly busy for Steven. He was finishing his final year of school, and he had been looking for a job…without much success. Most of the jobs he was applying for didn’t want to interview him until he had his degree completed. This is the main reason he was so eager to graduate. His wife had been supporting the family while Steven finished his final year. She was very eager to quit her job and start a small home-based business. She was just waiting for Steven to graduate and get a good job so she could finally quit her job. Steven was also eager to get a job so his wife could stay home because he knew how much she was looking forward to it. The pressure of finishing school, finding a job, and making his wife happy was really starting to get to Steven. He was taking more courses than usual this semester so he could get done earlier. The work load was getting to him and he found himself with more than a few sleepless nights. He had three big projects due before the end of the semester and he was worrying that he wouldn’t finish all of them in time. One of the assignments was particularly agitating to him. It was for an elective course he wasn’t really interested in. He didn’t enjoy the course and thought the content was trivial since it didn’t relate to his field. He had put it off until the last minute and now he found himself with 12 hours before it was due…he hadn’t even started it yet. It was a 4-page report on the environmental impacts of the Valdez oil spill in 1989. Steven hadn’t been doing very good in the course and knew he needed at least a passing grade on this report to ensure he passed the class and was able to graduate. He didn’t need an “A” …he just needed to turn something in…he couldn’t afford to skip the assignment. As he weighed his options, the thought crossed his mind to just copy some stuff from the Internet and patch together something so he would at least get better than a 0%. He knew students weren’t supposed to do that kind of thing, but the more he thought about it, the easier it was to justify it. He thought, “I don’t even like the class…it’s not part of my major…it’s just an elective…the plagiarism warning in the syllabus was tiny and kind of hidden…it can’t be that big of a deal or they would have emphasized it more.” Steven convinced himself…it would be easier to copy existing stuff. He found a bunch of sources online, copied and pasted, and cobbled something together. He changed words around and added some of his own writing so that it would flow and make sense. He figured that the things he added made it sound like his previous reports…no one would know…and no one would care that the work was not really his own. He turned in the report. The next week when the professor returned all the reports Steven saw that there was a note on his telling him to see the professor after class. A very bad feeling hit Steven deep in his stomach…he just hoped he hadn’t been caught. After class, Steven approached the professor. The professor told him he suspected he had cheated on his report. He told Steven that the report did not flow very well and wasn’t written in the same tone as his previous reports. He did some searching on the Internet and found large chunks of writing that were very similar to Steven’s report. He told Steven how serious this is…if he was cheating. He said losing credit for the course is the smallest thing to worry about. He told him that it is possible to be kicked out of school and not be able to ever graduate from that university. He said it is even possible that other universities will not admit you so you won’t be able to transfer credits and graduate somewhere else. It was a very serious matter and that college had just recently expelled a student for academic dishonesty. He told Steven he was going to have to look into it further and discuss the matter with the chair of his department. Steven’s world seemed to collapse on him…he didn’t know what to do. He had never felt worse in his entire life. As Steven walked out of the classroom, he thought about what he was going to tell his wife…

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/25/2013
Tutor: Cher, Teacher replied 4 years ago
Cher
Cher, Teacher
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I might be able to help you with this assignment if you tell me by when you need it completed.

You need 2 full pages, but is there a word count? Also, is this to be single spaced or double spaced?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Relist: Other.
Did not answer the question

Hello again, Mariam.

Before answering the question, I need some additional information from you, and that's why I asked you some questions in an "Information Request". That is how the site works. If the expert needs some additional information before answering, an Information Request is sent, to obtain that information.

Can you please tell me by when you need this assignment completed?

Do you need 2 full pages and the number of words doesn't matter?

Is the assignment to be single or double spaced?

Thanks for answering my questions about your assignment and then I will let you know if I can help.

Best regards,
Cher

Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate