Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

I am working on a project for shuffling and dealing cards.

I have to use enumerated...
I am working on a project for shuffling and dealing cards. I have to use enumerated types for the suits and ranks. I have been given partially filled out code, card.cpp, card.h, deck.cpp, dech.h, hand.h, rands.cpp, and rands.h. The random number generator provided is fully functional for my use. I am told what the Card class, StandardDeck class, and the Hand class should contain. Can you provide a similar sample type of project that will allow me to work through my particular project?
7/7/2013
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Hi there,

I'd be glad to help with your project. Please send your requirements. You may upload the requirements document, and your code so far on wikisend.com or mediafire.com and post download link here.

Thanks

Shuffling and Dealing Cards

For this project, you will create a program that will shuffle and deal hands of cards. You can use the attached Rands class for a good random number generator (one is needed for shuffling). The program should consist of classes Card, StandardDeck, Hand, and a driver program. Define enumerated types Suit, and Rank in the card.h header file. The Card class should contain

1. private data members suit and rank of types Suit and Rank.

2. A constructor with two input parameters of type Suit and Rank which are used to initialize the private data members.

3. Two static arrays of strings representing the suits and ranks. This is needed for outputting cards. They should be initialized in the global namespace in the file card.cpp (it is a compiler error to initialize them within the class). This is already done for you in the attached card.cpp file.

4. I will provide the code for overloading the outstream << operator so that you can print out a card simply by writing cout << myCard << endl; (for details see the note about printing Cards)

The class StandardDeck should contain

1. A private vector of Cards named deck;

2. A private integer top which is an index into the deck for the next card to the deal, i.e. the current top of the deck.

3. A private variable r of type Rands (if you use the attached generator).

4. A default constructor which initializes the top of the deck to 0, seeds the random number generator, and initializes the Cards in the deck. Initialize the deck as follows. Call “deck.reserve( 52 )” to allocate space for 52 cards. Then call “deck.push_back( Card() )” for each of the 52 distinct cards in the deck.

5. A function dealCard which returns a copy of the top card in the deck. Returning a reference to the top card would allow a user of this class to modify the deck! (this is why we should return a copy of the card)

6. A function numRemaining which returns the number of cards remaining in the deck.

7. A function shuffle that shuffles the deck and restores the deck to a full state. The standard way to randomly shuffle an array or vector named a from indexes start through stop is

for (int i=start; i <= stop-1; i++)

swap( a, a[ rand( i, stop ) ] );

where rand( i, stop ) is a function which returns uniformly random integer in the range from i through stop (note: changing the function call to rand( start, stop ) will shuffle the array/vector but the distribution will no longer be uniformly random!)

The class Hand should contain

1. A private vector of cards names hand.

2. A constructor that takes an integer argument, say n, and reserves n cards. You should either declare a default value of 0 for the integer argument or instead define a default constructor that does nothing (i.e. no initialization).

3. A function addCard that takes a constant Card reference as a parameter and adds it to the hand.

4. A function print that prints out the contents of the hand.

5. A function clear that restores a hand to an empty state.

The driver program should declare a deck of cards, shuffle it, and repeat the following seven times; deal two five card hands, and print out those hands. You should reshuffle the deck when there aren’t enough cards left to deal out the two hands.

You can combine all your files into a single zip file and submit it as an attachment using your Assignments folder.

Using the Provided Random Number Generator

To use the provided random number generator in the StandardDeck class, you need a private data member of type Rands. You then use this object to call any of the functions in the Rands class. The constructor should call the function rand_seed(). If you don’t, then you will get the exact same sequence of numbers every time you run your program. In order to get a different sequence of numbers and hence a different ordering of cards for different runs, you can use the current time to seed the generator. To do this, you need to include the header <ctime> and get the time by calling time(0). So if “r” is your data member of type Rands, you seed the generator as follows.

#include <ctime> // needed for the time() function

r.rand_seed( (Uint) time(0) ); // seed the generator according to the time

Tip: In the StandardDeck constructor, comment out the call to seed the random number generator until you get your program working. If you don’t, then your program could produce an error at a different point each time you run it which makes it extremely difficult to track down the problem. With the seed call removed, your program should always break at the same point making it much easier to locate the error. Once you get your program working, you should then remove the comment so that the cards are in a different order each time.

Are you working on my question?

Relist: Answer came too late.
ATLProg
ATLProg, Software Engineer
Do you still need assistance with this?

Yes I am stuck. What I have so far will not compile.

#ifndef CARD_H
#define CARD_H

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

enum Suit {CLUBS, DIAMONDS, HEARTS, SPADES};
enum Rank {ACE = 1, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE, TEN, JACK, QUEEN, KING, };
class Card
{
friend ostream& operator<<( ostream &stream, const Card &card );
public:

private:
static char *suit_str[4]; // output strings for suit
static char *rank_str[14]; // output strings for rank
};

#endif

#ifndef DECK_H
#define DECK_H

#include <vector>
#include "card.h"
#include "rands.h"

class StandardDeck
{
public:
void shuffle(); // shuffle the deck
private:
vector<Card> deck; // the deck of cards
Rands r; // random numbers used for shuffling
void swap( Card &, Card & ); // used for shuffling
int top; // top of deck index
Card card;
};

#endif

#ifndef HAND_H
#define HAND_H

#include <vector>
#include "card.h"

class Hand
{
public:
private:
};

#endif

/******************************************************************/
/* concatenation of the two 16-bit multiply with carry generators */
/* x(n)=a*x(n-1)+carry mod 2^16 and y(n)=b*y(n-1)+carry mod 2^16, */
/* with the number and carry packed within the same 32 bit */
/* integer. Algorithm due to Marsaglia */
#ifndef RANDS_H
#define RANDS_H

typedef unsigned int Uint;

class Rands
{
public:
Rands();

void rand_seed( Uint ); // seed the generator
Uint rand(); // returns a random 32-bit integer
double rand_float(); // returns a random float in (0,1]
int rand( int lo, int hi ); // returns a random int from lo through hi

private:
Uint SEED_X;
Uint SEED_Y;
};

#endif

#include "card.h"

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

Card::Card(Suit s, Rank r)
{
suit = s;
rank = r;
for (Card::Suit s = Card::CLUBS; s<=Card::SPADES; s = Card::Suit(s+1))
{
for (Card::Rank r = Card::TWO;r <= Card::ACE; r = Card::Rank(r+1))
{
deck.push_back (Card (s, r));
}
}

ostream& operator<<( ostream &stream, const Card &card )
{
char *Card::rank_str[14] = {ace, two, three, four, five, six, seven,
eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king };
char *Card::suit_str[4] = {clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades};
stream << Card::rank_str[ card.rank ] << " of "
<< Card::suit_str[ card.suit ];
return stream;
}

#include "deck.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

void StandardDeck::shuffle()
{
for (Uint i=0; i < deck.size()-1; i++)
swap( deck, deck[ r.rand(i,deck.size()-1) ] );
top = 0;
}

void StandardDeck::swap( Card &c1, Card &c2 )
{
Card temp = c1;
c1 = c2;
c2 = temp;
}

you should not post code here as it is a public website

I did not know that. How should I post then?

For future reference you may upload it on wikisend.com

Can you please go to www.wikisend.com and upload your file ? Once you do that you will get a page that has the "File ID" and "Download Link". Copy the "Download Link" or "File ID" and please paste it in your reply here.

For now i will post the solution i worked on, will that work?

Yes go ahead and post the solution you worked on. In the meantime I will go to www.wikisend.com.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
ATLProg
ATLProg, Software Engineer
Are we good?

I have a question that was put into the waiting room that another professional said he did not know the answer to. I really need an answer ASAP. I wonder if you would take a look at it. I assume that it is available for you to see or do I have to resubmit the question?

Sorry i am out of ideas too for that question

"For ATLProg only"

The question is somewhat long with some code provided and it would be easier to just upload a zip file to you.

http://wikisend.com/download/257104/Instructions and Code.zip

and

File ID: 257104

As i had mentioned earlier I am out of ideas for this one..by when you need this anyways

I need it by tomorrow. I also have some additional information I can upload if you are willing to take another try at it.

Please do so let me see

http://wikisend.com/download/212064/Rules_And_Variants.zip

I am sending more information after this file that I think will help

Sorry but i am out of ideas

Okay. Thanks.

"For ATLProg only"

You said you were out of ideas on my last question. Since that time I have found that there were errors in the code that I provided that would have prevented the program from compiling. If you were running into problems because the provided code had bugs, then the question is would you take third and final look at the problem with the corrected code to see if you can help me with it? But if you just don't want to look again that is fine too. I understand.

Relist: Answer came too late.
Please upload what you got on wikisend.com and i will try and make a second attemtpt

http://wikisend.com/download/572326/I added some notes that might help.zip

I added a word document with some code that might help. Again it is a long project I know but I just need somewhere to start if nothing else. Thanks.

Sorry, this is beyond my expertise

Ok. Thanks

ATLProg
ATLProg
ATLProg, Software Engineer