Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. (TCOs 2, 4, 5, 6) The idea that the assisted suicide of

1. (TCOs 2, 4, 5...

1. (TCOs 2, 4, 5, 6) The idea that the assisted suicide of terminally ill patients should be allowed or assisted for the greater happiness of all concerned reflects what type of ethics? (Points : 5)

A. Aristotle's Doctrine of the Mean
B. Kant's Categorical Imperative (in the 2nd Formulation)
C. Thomas Aquinas's concept of conscience
D. Rand's concept of self-interest
E. Mill's Principle of Utility

2. (TCOs 1, 2, 7) What is the moral ideal of prudence? (Points : 5)

A. Taking a traditional approach to problematic situations
B. Choosing behavior judiciously by consulting experience
C. Taking care to slow down decision making
D. Avoiding risks
E. Resisting impulsiveness

3. (TCOs 1, 2) One of the common errors in Ethics is unwarranted assumptions. Unwarranted assumptions consist of what? (Points : 5)

A. Preconceptions before ethical dilemmas are confronted
B. Failing to read carefully and with attention to detail
C. Taking too much for granted
D. Speculating apart from information
E. Treating case studies carelessly

4. (TCO 2) Prescriptive language used in ethical discussions is characterized by which of the following words? (Points : 5)

A. Cannot be
B. Could be
C. Used to be
D. Should be
E. Must be

5. (TCOs 7, 8) Each person ought to do whatever will best promote his or her own interests. (Points : 5)

A. Utilitarianism
B. Kant's Categorical Imperative
C. Social Contract Theory
D. Ethical Egoism
E. Gilligan

6. (TCOs 2, 4, 9) "The right thing to do is to follow the rules that rational, self-interested people can agree to establish for their mutual benefit." This is a belief of what? (Points : 5)

A. Ethical Egoism
B. Utilitarianism
C. Kant's Categorical Imperative
D. Social Contract Theory
E. Marxism

7. (TCOs 3, 6) The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was created through a congressional enabling act as a governmental agency to act on the concerns voiced by environmental ethicists. Their actions include all of the following except for which one? (Points : 5)

A. Subpoena regulation offenders
B. Monitor situations of environmental concern
C. Fine offenders
D. Sponsor new legislation on environmental issues
E. Confiscate property of offenders

8. (TCOs 3, 6, 7) Where in our course does the following phrase apply: “The only thing good without qualification is a good will”? (Points : 5)

A. Personal habits of excellence according to Plato
B. The social contract according to Locke
C. Deontological ethics according to Mill
D. Natural law ethics according to Aquinas
E. Deontological ethics according to Kant

9. (TCOs 8, 9) Which ethical concept is organized and directed toward following the greatest happiness principle? (Points : 5)

A. Natural ethics and law
B. Justice and mercy
C. Rights and responsibilities
D. Virtue-ethics of excellence
E. Principle of utility

10. (TCOs 3, 6, 7) What is the purpose of proving whether a syllogism of formal logic is “valid”? (Points : 5)

A. To identify the connecting phrase “therefore” or a synonym of it before proceeding further
B. To determine whether the situation described is accurate
C. To determine whether the premises are true before continuing
D. To determine whether the conclusion proceeds from the premises
E. To determine that there are only two premise statements in the syllogism

11. (TCOs 1, 2) Solving a dilemma involves realizing what aspect of it? (Points : 5)

A. You will never be satisfied that the right choice was made
B. Some choices of action are more realistic than others
C. In deciding to choose one action, the other possible choices will be lost
D. Not everybody involved will be happy with the choice
E. There may be significant personal costs to choosing

12. (TCOs 1, 2, 7) Where did Thomas Aquinas say that conscience originates? (Points : 5)

A. Through the hard work of reasoning
B. Direct gift from God in all cultures through natural law
C. An a priori source
D. By observing the objects and actions of the world
E. An empirical response of guilt for past actions

13. (TCOs 2, 8) The single criterion for making decisions in utilitarian ethics is what? (Points : 5)

A. The experience of pleasure
B. Accounting for unintended consequences
C. Fiduciary interests to be honored
D. The amount of happiness produced
E. The principle to be honored

14. (TCOs 1, 2, 5) The Social Contract theorist whose troubled childhood was most clearly reflected in his theories was who? (Points : 5)

A. Thomas Aquinas
B. Thomas Jefferson
C. Jean-Jacques Rousseau
D. Thomas Hobbes
E. John Locke

15. (TCOs 3, 6, 7) Kant's concern that people choose to observe universal laws as their duty is expressed through what actions? (Points : 5)

A. Their habits
B. Their maxims
C. Their desires
D. Their loves
E. Their loyalties

16. (TCOs 2, 7, 8) Personal development and discovery through the repetition of good acts and study of virtue characterizes what ethicist? (Points : 5)

A. Plato
B. Aristotle
C. Luther
D. Augustine
E. Socrates

17. (TCOs 2, 8) Professional codes of ethics and conduct provide what benefit for individuals who aspire to join the professions? (Points : 5)

A. Scholarships of financial assistance
B. Background checking
C. Examples of ethical violations
D. Guidance to professional schools of the examination requirements for licensing
E. Assurance of employment and salary standards

18. (TCOs 2, 7) Aristotle's Ethical Doctrine of the Mean measured personal virtues on a scale that included the virtue itself, the excess of it, and the deficiency of it. If the virtue is COURAGE and the deficiency is COWARDICE, what is the excess? (Points : 5)

A. Wisdom
B. Moderation
C. There is no excess
D. Recklessness
E. Love

19. (TCOs 8, 9) In personal or organizational conflict, what benefits accrue to all parties when a leader or consultant employees one of the ethical conflict resolution models of Week 6? (Points : 5)

A. Objectives of what winning the conflict means get refined and better understood
B. Conflict management gets slowed down and settled.
C. Conflict can be handled in a sequential, step-by-step manner
D. Parties can be reconciled without solving the issues
E. Personal relationships can be separated from issues

20. (TCOs 1, 2) The Latin term a priori describes the origin of knowledge developed rationally, and the term a posteriori describes knowledge developed through observation and experience. What is an example of ethics is best described as discovered in an a postiori manner? (Points : 5)

A. Social ethics
B. Care-based ethics
C. Consequentialist ethics
D. Theological ethics
E. Operational ethics

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2013
Ellen, Lawyer
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer