Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Which of the following statements is correct regarding the

events of the cell cycle...
Which of the following statements is correct regarding the events of the cell cycle? (Points : 4)
DNA is duplicated during the G1 and G2 phases
DNA replicates during cytokinesis.
Interphase consists of G1, S, and G2.
The M phase is usually the longest phase.
The cell stops growing in G2 phase.

2. Which of the following represents the phases of mitosis in their proper sequence? (Points : 4)
prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase
interphase, prophase, metaphase, telophase
anaphase, interphase, prophase, metaphase, telophase
prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, cytokinesis
metaphase, interphase, cytokinesis, anaphase, telophase

3. The chromosomes are moving to opposite poles during (Points : 4)
prophase
anaphase
metaphase
interphase
telophase

4. Chromosomes are aligned at the spindle equator during (Points : 4)
interphase
anaphase
metaphase
telophase
prophase

5. Cancer is a disorder in which some cells have lost the ability to control their ________. (Points : 4)
size
spindle fibers
growth rate
surface area
volume

6. All of the following statements are true about mitosis except (Points : 4)
the cells arising from the process all have half of the genetic material.
the cells arising from the process are genetically alike.
the process of mitosis is followed by cytokinesis.
spindle fibers are involved in the movement of chromosomes.
both sexually and asexually reproducing organisms utilize the process of mitosis.

7. Proteins that are involved in the regulation of the cell cycle, and that show fluctuation in concentration during the cell cycle, are called ________. (Points : 4)
centromeres
kinetochores
centrioles
cyclins
proton pumps

8. The term metastasis refers to the fact that cancer cells tend to ________. (Points : 4)
destroy
divide
reproduce
shrink
travel

9. All normal human body cells contain ________ pairs of chromosomes. (Points : 4)
23
46
92
12
2

10. In the human life cycle, (Points : 4)
meiosis produces haploid gametes, and fertilization creates a diploid cell that divides by mitosis to produce a new individual.
mitosis produces haploid gametes, and fertilization creates a diploid cell that divides by meiosis to produce a new individual.
diploid gametes reproduce by meiosis to produce haploid daughter cells that divide by mitosis to produce a new individual.
diploid gametes reproduce by mitosis to produce diploid daughter cells that divide by meiosis to produce a new individual.
a haploid zygote reproduces by meiosis to produce diploid daughter cells that divide by mitosis to produce a new individual.

11. Chromosomes that occur in pairs and code for the same traits are called _____________ chromosomes; these do not include the __________________ chromosomes which code for gender. (Points : 4)
homologous; autosomes
autosomes; homologous
diploid; haploid
homologous: sex
sex; autosomes

12. Down syndrome is also known as trisomy (Points : 4)
13
15
18
21
22

13. One major difference between meiosis I and meiosis II is that (Points : 4)
crossing over occurs in prophase of meiosis I but not in prophase of meiosis II.
sister chromatids are separated during meiosis I while homologous chromosomes are separated during meiosis II
the resulting cells at the end of meiosis I are diploid while the cells at the end of meiosis II are haploid.
in telophase of meiosis I four daughter cells form from the parent cell and in telophase of meiosis II each parent cells gives rise to two daughter cells.
in meiosis I there is no pairing of chromosomes while homologues pair in meiosis II.

14. The normal complement of sex chromosomes for a human male is: (Points : 4)
YY
XX
XO
XXY
XY

15. Meiosis in animals produces _________. (Points : 4)
embryonic cells.
diploid cells
somatic (body) cells.
gametes (sperm cells and egg cells).
all cell types

16. Which of the following statements is correct? (Points : 4)
Meiosis involves 2 divisions and produces 4 non-identical daughter nuclei.
Meiosis involves 1 division and produces 2 non-identical daughter nuclei.
Mitosis involves 1 division and produces 2 non-identical daughter nuclei.
Mitosis involves 2 divisions and produces 4 identical daughter nuclei.
Meiosis involves 2 divisions and produces 4 identical daughter nuclei.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/21/2013
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Thanks Debbie!
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work