Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Astronomy100 Homework Question for Ray Atkinson :) Evolutionary

Astronomy100 Homework Question for Ray...
Astronomy100 Homework Question for Ray Atkinson :)

Evolutionary States

The same object can look very different at different times, and astronomers have worked very hard to tie different-looking objects together in the story of the evolution of the object. For example, a person is a baby, a toddler, a youth, a young adult, a middle-aged adult, and then a senior citizen. But a person never looks like a dog or a chair.

For each of the objects below, pick possible past or future states. Remember that you are thinking about possible past or future states of the WHOLE object. Pick the best single answer for each item.

1. The sun
a. Brown dwarf star
b. Supernova
c. Supergiant star
d. White dwarf star

2. The Crab Pulsar (see page 231)
a. A red dwarf star
b. A neutron star
c. White dwarf star
d. A HII region

3. A white dwarf with main sequence star as a close companion
a. A nova
b. A supernova
c. Nothing at all
d. All of the above

4. A trapezium star in the Orion Nebula (see page 186)
a. A globular cluster
b. A supernova
c. Brown dwarf star
d. None of the above

5. The Orion Nebula
a. A globular cluster
b. A supernova
c. A blue supergiant star
d. None of the above

6. Omega Centauri (a large and well-known globular cluster)
a. A protostar
b. The galactic halo
c. A supernova
d. None of the above

Ages

Arrange the following items from oldest to youngest, by putting a number next to each object. Start with a 1 for the oldest object and end with 4 for the youngest object.

___ A planetary nebula

___ The sun

___ A typical Population II star

___ A 3 solar mass giant star
4/16/2013
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student