Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

I need help with some art appreciation questions.

I need help with some...

I need help with some art appreciation questions. It is around 50 questions both Multiple Choice Questions and True/False Questions. 

4/14/2013
Mr. Gregory White
Hello Karen, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to try to help on your questions.

Can you post the questions so I can take a look at them - also, be sure to let me know the deadline to get the responses back to you.

:-)

Can we talk by chat?

Unfortunately, once it has opened up in the Q/A session (like we are now) it cannot be reverted back to chat.

hmmm. Ok, well, as soon as I send you the questions, you have only 1:45 minutes to answer, can I send it now?

Unfortunately I do not have a block of time open right now. - How about this evening about 8:30 pm CST?

perfect, I will be here at this time so. Thank you so much

I am here

Go ahead and post when ready

there is something wrong here... I can't paste the questions

1. The organization of visual elements in a work of art is referred to as _______ (Points : 2)
the composition
the proportion
the design
the balance

2. In a formal critique of artwork, the critic is evaluating: (Points : 2)
How much influence the political environment had on the message.
How well the artwork expresses the feeling of the artist.
How well the parts of the artwork "function and fit", while considering prior works in that category.
How much feeling it provides to the viewer.

3. In art, a medium is: (Points : 2)
an artisit who can tell you about your future
the material used for artwork
the size of a painting in between small and large
a particular material, along with its accompanying technique

4. The symbolic meaning of visual signs and imagery is called: (Points : 2)
content
iconography
form
aesthetics

5. Located outside Wiltshire, England, most historians now believe that Stonehenge was created to: (Points : 2)
calculate solar and lunar movements
enhance the English countryside and focus attention on environmental arts
serve as a prayer space
all of the above

6. Original prints are produced in quantities called: (Points : 2)
unlimited editions
limited editions
artist’s proofs
impression editions

7. A glaze has a silica base that causes it to vitrify during firing; this means the glaze becomes: (Points : 2)
glassy
matte
solid
liquid

8. When clay is exposed to heat, the process is called: (Points : 2)
smoking
heating
glazing
firing

9. The method of creating the illusion of depth on a 2-D surface through the appearance of converging parallel lines and one or more vanishing points is called _______ (Points : 2)
atmospheric perspective
chiaroscuro
linear perspective
picture plane

10. Repetition of similar elements in a work of art creates the illusion of: (Points : 2)
shape
impasto
line
rhythm

11. Which of the following occurs when equal forms, masses, or elements balance one another? (Points : 2)
asymmetrical balance
radial symmetry
symmetrical balance
bilateral symmetry

12. Global Warning, the graphic design poster by Chaz Maviyane-Davies, presents an issue of concern for the artist as well as the global population. This work is an example of art as a vehicle for: (Points : 2)
communicating information
personal expression
social causes
all of the above

13. In _______ balance, the two sides of a composition on either side of an imaginary vertical dividing line correspond to one another in size, shape, and placement of form. (Points : 2)
symmetrical
informal
asymmetrical
radial

14. Peter Voulkos’ contribution to modern ceramic art is that he: (Points : 2)
he mixed ceramics with glass
he mixed ceramics with etching and printing
he mixed ceramics with abstract expressionism
he mixed ceramics with modernism and ancient glaze formulas

15. According to your text, objective, or figurative, art is considered: (Points : 2)
representational art
abstract art
nonrepresentational art
folk art

16. Weaving combines and interlaces lengthwise and cross fibers, called respectively: (Points : 2)
piles and knots
warp and weft
woof and tweeter
length and width

17. When a work of art, such as Theo van Doesburg’s Composition (The Cow), shows no reference to the natural world of images, it is usually called: (Points : 2)
expressionistic
stylized
simplistic
nonrepresentational

18. Because a tree has unique growth characteristics that remain visible in the finished objects, wood is said to possess a: (Points : 2)
soul
heart and spirit
vitality, or living spirit
mind

19. To evaluate a work of art properly, we must deal with it in the context of: (Points : 2)
art museums
the society that produced it
the society that sold it
our own values

20. Expressive theories evaluate how well a work of art functions to create a visual experience that may interest us as viewers. (Points : 2)
True
False

21. According to your text, the title sequence in the movie "Psycho", was among the first motion graphics used in a motion picture feature film. (Points : 2)
True
False

22. When London's Blackfriar Bridge was painted green, suicides off the bridge dropped by approximately 34%. (Points : 2)
True
False

23. Bierut's Saks Fifth Avenue logo (2007) is the perfect example of creating a vibrant consistency. (Points : 2)
True
False

24. While in his architecture school, Frank Lloyd Wright required his students to build and live in dwellings they created by themselves. (Points : 2)
True
False

25. Destroying the artwork of a group of people is a major way that dictators try to eliminate or control the group they have oppressed. (Points : 2)
True
False

26. The gargoyles on top of gothic buildings are also known as "flying buttresses". (Points : 2)
True
False

27. Colors deliver the most powerful symbolism when used in repeated areas. (Points : 2)
True
False

28. Faith Ringgold's quilts vary in themes ranging from the mistreatment of slaves to her own personal weight loss. (Points : 2)
True
False

29. Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" was the first building to use carbon fiber technology for cantilever designs. (Points : 2)
True
False

30. Auguste Rodin's life-size sculpture of "The Kiss" uses geometric abstraction to represent the universal harmony of love. (Points : 2)
True
False

31. Horizontal lines tend to create a sense of being at rest while diagonal indicate movement. (Points : 2)
True
False

32. The Jeppesen Terminal Building in the Denver International Airport is the largest suspension building on earth. (Points : 2)
True
False

33. There are research studies that theorize: graffiti (if left visible to the public) leads to an environment in which people are more likely to commit street crimes, such as stealing. (Points : 2)
True
False

34. In sculpture, casting is a substitution, or replacement process. (Points : 2)
True
False

35. Handmade paper is considered a type of "fiber art". (Points : 2)
True
False

36. Zaha Hadid and Frank Lloyd Wright are both considered the worlds most famous "deconstructivist style" architects. (Points : 2)
True
False

37. Regarding typefaces, "sans serif" means "not italic". (Points : 2)
True
False

38. Claus Oldenburg intentionally altered realistic scale in his painting Large Reclining Nude to convey personal meaning. (Points : 2)
True
False

39. Artist installations are meant to visually tell a story to the viewer. (Points : 2)
True
False

40. In India, a married woman wearing all white is trying to invite childbearing to occur. (Points : 2)
True
False

41. In China, it is inappropriate for a bride to wear white on her wedding day. (Points : 2)
True
False

42. When corporations donate huge sums to help finance museum exhibitions, they are also expected to determine the content of the show. (Points : 2)
True
False

43. Porcelain became highly developed in England, that's why English china is so valuable. (Points : 2)
True
False

44. The Aztec Calendar Stone represents the linear passage of time. (Points : 2)
True
False

45. Both light and dark shades of a color convey the same meanings but with with different intensities on the continuum. For example: Dark Blue is authoritative while Sky Blue is slightly less authoritative. (Points : 2)
True
False

46. There are three types of clay used for ceramics, they are: China, Porcelain and Earthenware. (Points : 2)
True
False

47. Your text advises that all people who love and appreciate art should try their best to see everything they can when visiting an art museum. (Points : 2)
True
False

48. The fourth dimension of art is called Humanism. (Points : 2)
True
False

49. Most graffiti artists can be defined as "naive" artists. (Points : 2)
True
False

50. "Nonrepresentational art" is the same thing as "nonobjective art". (Points : 2)
True
False

51. For 5 points - tell me 5 things about this piece: Artist, Medium, Purpose, Significance, History, or even your educated guess (based on reading everything here) as to why I would put such an image here for you...

[Still trying to find the image]

52. For 5 points - tell me 5 things about this piece: Artist, Artist history, Medium, Purpose, Significance in the art world...

artist: dale chihuly

I cant paste the image here, the website has a mistake, but it is talking about this image: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tqXvqbDssJ8/TgCsGPvc25I/AAAAAAAAMo4/KaebMduKnHU/s1600/img-1485-062606-nybg-parks-xb4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://joannemattera.blogspot.com/2011/06/marketing-mo ndays-chihuly-inc.html&h=359&w=540&sz=210&tbnid=RidMeXcQ48OfjM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&zoom=1&usg=__Qsmx-LKJ7EOaCu7c70yNULeYyYk=&docid=wzrdWuNVlpFqpM&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ei=GV1rUeaNBcOc2AXouYCIBw&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBQ&dur=724

I gonna pay you more for these 2 extra answers

Give me some time - these are going to take a bit to complete since I do not have the text referred to for many of the "according to your text" type questions. Will do my best.

I don't control the time, unfortunately, but you have 1:20h
it is talking about the book Preble's artworks (http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_preble_artforms_9/88/22626/5792435.cw/index.html)

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Mr. Gregory White

Thank you so much, You did 43 questions correct :)

Great to hear. Feel free to request me anytime.

:-)
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor