Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1.All of the following statements about Ottoman expansion are

true EXCEPT: A. their geographical location...
1.All of the following statements about Ottoman expansion are true EXCEPT:

A. their geographical location gave them a definite advantage for expansion.

B. after taking advantage of Byzantine weakness, they established a base at Gallipoli, and then allied with the Serbs and Bulgars to continue fighting the Byzantine Empire.

C. after the Kurdish seizure of Constantinople in 1521, Ottoman support of the new Kurdish ruler gave them greater control over Asia Minor.

D. as they established European settlements, Turkish beys replaced local landlords, and became the only recipients of taxes collected from the Slavic peasant population.

2.Which of the following statements is NOT an accurate characterization of the nature of Ottoman governmental processes?

A. Originally, Ottoman rule was dominated by tribal law and augmented by Muslim law.

B. The Ottoman Empire was influenced by Byzantine and Persian rule.

C. The sultan ruled from the Topkapi with the assistance of the Grand Vezirs, who were primarily the products of the devshirme process.

D. The government refused to allow any religion to be practiced in the empire except for Islam.

3.Ottoman religious policy:

A. applied Islamic law to everyone in the empire.

B. required all Shi'ite Muslims to convert to Sunni Islam.

C. was more tolerant of Hindu beliefs than the Mughal Dynasty.

D. placed the members of each religious group under a patriarch or grand rabbi, who served in an intermediary capacity in governmental matters effecting his group.

4.Safavid Iran:

A. was a purely Persian society.

B. was strongly influenced by Turkish elements within the society.

C. adopted Sunni Islam as its state religion.

D. was a thoroughly egalitarian society.

5.Mughal decline was most probably NOT caused by the:

A. fall of the Safavid dynasty.

B. rise in local power and wealth.

C. return of Muslim strictness after the rule of Shah Jahan ended.

D. effect of the European presence on the subcontinent.

6.The British presence in India significantly began in 1616 when they:

A. successfully attacked Puna.

B. established their first factory at Delhi.

C. were granted the right to have their own representative at the court in Agra.

D. forced the Mughals to provide them with light weight textiles.

7.The peasant revolt that brought down the preoccupied Ming Dynasty, and precipitated the ascension to control of the Manchus, was led by the disgruntled postal worker:

A. Yuan Shi Kai.

B. Li Zicheng.

C. Zheng Chenggong.

D. Koxinga.

8.The first major ruler of the Qing Dynasty was:

A. Kangxi.

B. Hongwu.

C. Qianling.

D. Yongle.

9.Qianlong:

A. ended civil service corruption by demanding his standards of permanence and by ordering the public executions of a number of corrupt officials.

B. was the first emperor to have a French concubine given to him by the Japanese emperor.

C. was a great soldier who was killed in battle in Tibet.

D. was dissatisfied by Lord Macartney's behavior in China.

10.Which of the following is accurate regarding of the effects of Qianlong's trade policy with England?

A. It showed Lord Macartney that he could not continue to attack the Emperor.

B. It set the stage for a future of harmonious trade relations between the two powers.

C. It showed the compromising nature of the Chinese attitude.

D. It set the stage for a future of Chinese degradation and decline.

11.As manufacturing and commerce began to grow in Ming and Qing China:

A. the elite retained a preference for agriculture.

B. industrialization became the preferred area of activity for all Chinese.

C. Europeans became the predominant force in all areas of Chinese production.

D. government tax policies favored the industrial sector over the agricultural one.

12.The Japanese who seized Kyoto and spent his last years trying to consolidate his rule was:

A. Yamato Ryutu.

B. Iza Shotoku.

C. Oda Nobunaga.

D. Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

13. Hideyoshi expelled missionaries from his domain in 1587 because the missionaries were:

A. supportive of the emperor rather than the shogun.

B. selling indulgences.

C. destroying local Christian religious shrines.

D. interfering in local Japanese political matters.

14. Newton's Principia:

A. placed the earth at the center of the universe.

B. rejected the ideas of Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo.

C. mathematically disproved the universal law of gravitation.

D. supplied the new theory of the universe that combined the work of Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo.

15.Which of the following was NOT one of the positive buzzwords of the Enlightenment?

A. Reason

B. Divine revelation

C. Natural law

D. Hope
2/14/2013
Linda_us
Linda_us, Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor
HelloCustomer
I am working on your questions.
Do you have a deadline?
Thanks

my deadline is in 6 hours and there is also 5 more questions .

Please post all your questions.

16. Enlightenment advocates of economic liberalism:

A. urged rulers to guide their societies in rationally determined directions.

B. were vigorously opposed by Adams Smith.

C. opposed attempts to establish laissez-faire policies.

D. believed that individuals should be free to pursue their own economic self-interest.

17.Outside of Europe, the major scenes of battle in the Seven Years War were:

A. North America and Africa.

B. Central America and India

C. India and North America

D. Latin America and Africa

18.Which of the following statements is an accurate depiction of the nature of the British Parliament in the latter half of the eighteenth century?

A.It was primarily composed of civil libertarians who advocated individual rights.

B. Its role was primarily that of a rubber stamp for the king.

C. It shared power with the king, gradually gaining the upper hand.

D. Uniquely, women could become Members of Parliament.

19. Britain decided to end its war against the Americans after a combined American and French force defeated General Cornwallis at:

A. Cowpens.

B. Newburgh.

C. Saratoga.

D. Yorktown.

20.The military forces raised by the French revolutionary government was:

A. composed largely of non French mercenaries.

B. the largest navy ever assembled in Europe up to that point.

C. unsuccessful on the battlefield although victorious in naval combat.

D. a true army of the people, whose intensity was the beginning of the concept of total war.

when will you be able to have this done by ?

In half an hour.

okay thank you

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Linda_us
Linda_us
Linda_us