Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. The power of the states to enact and enforce laws comes

1. The power of the states to enact and enforce laws comes from the
A. rulings of the Supreme Court. B. ninth Amendment to the Constitution. C. Declaration of Independence. D. tenth Amendment to the Constitution.
2. An important aspect of the Magna Carta was that
A. no free man could be imprisoned without judgment by his peers.
B. the common people were given the ability to vote. C. the common people were given the ability to own land. D. no free man could be made to pay taxes to a king.
105
Examination
3. While vacationing in Florida, Bob, a resident of Texas, is involved in an automobile accident with a Florida resident. Bob suffers damages in the amount of $100,000. Can Bob proceed with his case in federal court?
A. Yes, because this involves a federal question B. Yes, because there’s diversity of citizenship and an amount in controversy in
excess of the $75,000 C. No, because the accident occurred in Florida so only the Florida State Courts
have jurisdiction D. No, because the amount in controversy is less than $150,000
4. You’re given an assignment to write a brief for your supervising attorney, in a lawsuit between two local businesses over payment of a construction contract totaling $100,000. In preparing this document, it’s important that you educate the judge on the
A. procedural rules of your state court system. B. law applicable to the case in question. C. difference between substantive law and procedural law. D. constitutional standards for admitting evidence.
5. The Constitution provides for
A. the organization of the federal judiciary. B. the power of the courts to enforce their orders. C. the existence of the judicial branch of government. D. each state and territory to have a supreme court.
6. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is stated in what document? A. 1689 Bill of Rights C. Constitution
B. Magna Carta D. Declaration of Independence 7. What is the difference between jurisdiction in personam and jurisdiction of the
subject matter?
A. Jurisdiction in personam refers to the rules binding on court personnel, while jurisdiction of the subject matter is the set of rules addressing how actions are moved through the court system.
B. Jurisdiction in personam refers to the appeal procedures if a person is unhappy with a decision of the court, while jurisdiction of the subject matter refers to the type of cases an appellate court can hear.
C. Jurisdiction is personam refers to the power of a court to bind the defendant to its rulings while jurisdiction of the subject matter refers to the power of the court to hear and decide certain types of cases.
D. There is no difference.
106
Examination
8. An equitable remedy can
A. award only monetary damages. B. compel action or force cessation of action. C. proclaim rights and duties and enforce them. D. compel someone to follow the common law.
9. A state court hears a criminal felony case and in the appeal from conviction, the defendant raises the question of whether or not his counsel gave effective assistance. The state court of last resort rules that counsel was effective. The defendant may
A. appeal the decision to the U.S. District Court. B. not appeal the decision further because it was decided by the court of last resort. C. not appeal the decision because it didn’t involve a right protected by
the Constitution. D. appeal the decision to the federal appellate courts.
10. The state of New Hampshire is suing the state of Maine regarding the location of their shared state line. Which court has original jurisdiction over this controversy?
A. The U.S. Supreme Court B. The Supreme Court of the state of New Hampshire C. The Supreme Court of the state of Maine D. The trial court of either the state of New Hampshire or the state of Maine
11. Common law comes from
A. law that was originally applied only to the poor in England. B. political uprisings throughout history demanding governmental concessions. C. historical acceptance of conduct approved by courts and not addressed in statutes. D. common sense law derived from debates of the American colonial government.
12. The authority for the judicial branch in a state to make up procedural rules comes from
A. its state constitution, statutes, or the judicial branch itself. B. the power of the court to control its proceedings. C. the evolving American common law. D. acts of the U.S. Congress or Senate.
13. The U.S. Constitution limits the powers of the judicial branch to which of the following?
A. Writing and enacting legislation B. Enforcing laws and court orders C. Enacting administrative laws D. Interpreting legislation
Examination
107
14. The term venue refers to the
A. power of the court to decide a matter in controversy. B. particular geographic area in which a case may be heard. C. preliminary hearing in a felony case. D. power of the court to hear a case based upon its subject matter.
15. A case, Thomson v. Powell, which upheld a search of a vehicle by state police despite the owne
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for the question.

When is your deadline for submitting the answers to these questions? Also, what is the exam number and title?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well it's any time but I need to pass with a good grade us court system 008026

Other test I have you I barley passed but I need this to be a good one so take your time and do your best
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you :)
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. Glad to assist!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
U.s. Court Systems, Part 2 008053 today thank you
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
I will answer that one in your other post of that exam. I have one other question set to finish and I'll then start on yours.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok great thank you :)
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome!