Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

For judybailey61 due 12/14/12

For judybailey61 Due: Dec. 14...

For judybailey61 Due: Dec. 14, 2012

Objectives:

1. Describe appropriate fitness for young children. (APTS 1, 3, 4, 5, 8; INTASC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10; NAEYC 3, 4, 5) 2. Apply fitness standards to early childhood curriculum. (APTS 1, 3, 4, 5, 8; INTASC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10; NAEYC 3, 4, 5) 3. Design a fitness event for young children and families. (APTS 1, 3, 4, 5, 8; INTASC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10; NAEYC 3, 4, 5)

ASSIGNMENT DETAILS:

Design a "Fitness Field Day" event and request permission from your mentor teachers to implement it during your practicum/field experience. For the Birth to Age 5/Pre-K level, it should be 30 minutes in length; for the K to Age 8/Grade 3 level, it should be 1 hour. Include five fitness activities that are appropriate for each age level (LIST EACH AGE LEVEL OF ACTIVITIES SEPRATE), aligned to fitness standards for early childhood that can be completed in the allotted time.

Create a flyer (IN MICROSOFT WORD) that will inform parents of the event that has been planned. Be sure to address time, place, and all other pertinent facts parents will need to know if they are able to attend the event.

Upon completion of the event, have a discussion with your mentor teachers and write a synopsis of 500 words in which you describe the activities with standards alignment, parental involvement and feedback, your observations regarding the children's participation, and a reflection on improvements you might make in the activities based on feedback. Attach your flyer.

SPECIAL NOTICE: List any references on a seprate page to meet APA FORMAT STYLE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/9/2012
Judy Bailey
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Is it due on Saturday again?
Sorry, I just noticed it is due Friday. That is fine.

This will need $15 bonus. Is that good for you?

Fine. I need to post the Reading Topic Materials

Topic READING Material:

Lecture 6

Fitness Development

Introduction

The world of young children is a world of movement. It should not be difficult to get young children moving. Appeal to their imagination and they are on the move. Movement and a balanced diet are vital to the fitness of young children. The combination of the two should provide the average preschool child with a recipe for fitness.

The Problem

The problem for young children is a lack of fitness. This is, perhaps, more of a lifestyle issue than a nutritional issue. Young children are subject to the lifestyle habits of their parents. Children have little or no control over what they are given to eat or the time they spend in play. These factors are controlled by parents who often lead extremely busy lives. Single parent families, two working parents, and children in care outside of the home for the majority of the day are common lifestyle environments for young children. Because parents are so busy, they often make lifestyle choices on the basis of convenience rather than nutrition. Since parents and children often do not get home until dinner time or later, parents opt for movies, video games, or other sources of entertainment for their children rather than active movement. According to kidshealth.org (2010), the percentage of overweight children and teens has doubled in the last 30 years. This is due to the fact that children are more sedentary than in previous decades. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that children are sitting more and moving less. Kidshealth.org quotes the Kaiser Foundation in saying that children spend an average of three hours watching TV every day and spend about five and one-half hours each day in "screen" activities such as computers, video games, DVDs, and computer time outside of school work.

The only solution to the sedentary problem is to limit screen time for children of all ages and especially for young children. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that children two years old and younger should not watch television. AAP also recommends that children age two and older should be limited to no more than one to two hours of quality television programming per day (aap.org, 2010). Parents may fail to recognize a television on in the background of the home for many hours per day, while their children absorb whatever is shown on the screen.

The Solution

Obviously, the solution is to get children moving. Beginning in infancy, children need to be moving and their movement should continue throughout their lives and through adulthood. It is important that children begin movement early in life so that it becomes a part of their lifestyle choices. Children who learn movement early in life tend to continue movement activities into adulthood.

Adults think about fitness as exercise and working out at the gym. This is not the case for young children. Fitness and movement for young children simply translates into everyday play and activity. By nature, young children want to move. Young children should not be engaged in sedentary activity for over an hour. This speaks to how we structure our school days. With children in school for six hours per day, they are often expected to sit still for a great deal of that time. Frequent bathroom breaks, moving from one area of the classroom to another, and getting up to pass out papers or get a drink all help break the lack of movement in the school classroom.

Appropriate Movement for Young Children

Kidshealth.org lists three elements of fitness for children:

· Endurance is developed through aerobic activity, which is any activity that causes the heart to beat faster and the person to breathe harder for a period of time.

· Strength is developed in weight-bearing activities, such as when children climb or master crossing the monkey bars.

· Flexibility is developed when children are engaged in stretching activities, such as when children use a full range of motion by reaching for objects or doing a cartwheel (kidshealth.org, 2010).

How much is enough exercise? Kidshealth.org (2010) recommends 60 minutes per day for all children age two and over. Keep in mind that this is not a workout as adults think of exercise. This is normal children's play. For children younger than age two, movement should simply encourage motor development.

Age-Appropriate Activity

For young children, appropriate activity means play. The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Web site offers specific activities by grade level, including the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) national guidelines for developmentally appropriate movement standards and activities (Appropriate Instructional Practice Guidelines, 2010).

The Benefits of Physical Activity

The benefits of physical activity and movement for young children are numerous:

· Development of eye-hand coordination and depth perception;

· Improvement of physical and mental health;

· Fun for the child and the joy of movement;

· Learning about where and how the body moves;

· Learning about the relationship of the body to what is around it;

· Providing the child with a sense of control; and

· The ability to navigate the body through space (aap.org, 2010).

Conclusion

Combining a nutritional diet with movement and activity are the keys to a healthy lifestyle. Raising healthy and fit children is possible when parents and teachers encourage children to participate in age-appropriate activities; establish regular times for movement and activity; choose movement over sedentary activities; and provide a model of healthy choices and a healthy lifestyle for children. Most of all, parents and teachers need to keep movement and activity natural and fun for children so that they will find enjoyment in the activities.

References

Appropriate instructional practice guidelines. (2010). Retrieved August 14, 2010, from http://www.aahperd.org/naspe/standards/nationalGuidelines/Apppracticedoc.cfm

American Academy of Pediatrics. (n.d.). aap.org

The Nemours Foundation. (2010). KidsHealth: Kids and exercise. Retrieved August 14, 2010, from http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/fitness/exercise.html

e-Library Resource

1. Optional: Body Fatness and Physical Activity Levels of Young Children

For additional information, the following is recommended: "Body Fatness and Physical Activity Levels of Young Children," by Al-Nakeeb, Duncan, Lyons, and Woodfield, from Annals of Human Biology (2007).

http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=24155101&site=ehost-live&scope=site

2. Optional: Directly Observed Physical Activity Levels in Young Children

For additional information, the following is recommended: "Directly Observed Physical Activity Levels in Preschool Children," by Pate, McIver, Dowda, Brown, and Addy, from Journal of School Health (2008).

http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=34545445&site=ehost-live&scope=site

3. Optional: Physical Activity Measurement Methods for Young Children: A Comparative Study

For additional information, the following is recommended: "Physical Activity Measurement Methods for Young Children: A Comparative Study," by Hands and Larkin, from Measurement in Physical Education & Exercise Science (2006).

http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=22257766&site=ehost-live&scope=site

4. Optional: Prescribing Practices: Shaping Healthy Children in Schools

For additional information, the following is recommended: "Prescribing Practices: Shaping Healthy Children in Schools," by Burrows and Wright, from International Journal of Children's Rights (2007).

http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=25586673&site=ehost-live&scope=site

If you need anything else please let me know. I'm be in touch

Thanks

Ok

Smile
Hi, I had some questions about this one.

1. It says five activities for each age level. What does that mean? Is it 5 for birth to pre-K and 5 for K to Grade 3? So a total of 10 activities?

2. Is it one event for birth to pre-k OR one event for K to Grade 3? I can't tell.

3. If it is one event, how many activities should there be?

Total 10 activities. 5 age 5/pre k level

And 5 age 8/ grade 3 level

So does that mean you are to design two field days? I thought you were to just choose one.

Give me to later today to find out more.

Thank you.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Judy Bailey

judy

I have tried to get the answer to the question for Dec. 19. it will not let me view nor can i add more funds. What can i do to retrieve the answer?

I sent an email to the front office to see if they can help.

The question was closed due to inactivity. I'm sure they can help.

Ok. Ill post funds as sok n as it lets me so I can get the answer.

We're working on it. I'll keep you posted.
Judy Bailey
Judy Bailey
Judy Bailey