Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. The growth of equilibrium populations is regulated by density-dependent

effects. (Points : 4)...
1. The growth of equilibrium populations is regulated by density-dependent effects. (Points : 4)
True
False

2. The human population of the MDCs as a whole (Points : 4)
has always had a low growth rate.
has had a death rate exceeding the birth rate since 1950.
has grown modestly since 1950.
has grown exponentially since 1950.
is expected to increase by 5 billion by 2050.

3. The majority of humans live in ___________. (Points : 4)
North America
South America
Africa
Asia
Europe

4. Replacement reproduction (each couple producing only two children) always leads to zero population growth. (Points : 4)
True
False

5. Which of the following is the correct order of biological organization from largest to smallest? (Points : 4)
community-->ecosystem-->biosphere-->population-->organism
organism-->population-->community-->ecosystem-->biosphere
ecosystem-->biosphere-->population-->community-->organism
biosphere-->population-->community-->ecosystem-->organism
biosphere-->ecosystem-->community-->population-->organism

6. The age structure of a population is used to determine the impact of the population on resource consumption. (Points : 4)
True
False

7. The carrying capacity is constant within any defined geographical location. (Points : 4)
True
False

8. Which of the following is not considered when determining the biotic potential of a population? (Points : 4)
the age at which reproduction begins
the chances of survival until reproductive age
the age at which reproduction ends
the frequency of reproduction per individual
the number of offspring per reproduction

9. The process of evolutionary change in one species causing evolutionary change in another species is called parallelism. (Points : 4)
True
False

10. The term ______________ is used to describe the various species and the relative abundance of each in a community. (Points : 4)
diversity
ecosystem
species richness
biosphere
coexistence

11. Which of the following biomes has the higher primary productivity? (Points : 4)
temperate grassland
desert
temperate deciduous forest
coral reef
sandy beach

12. Which of the following is a requirement for secondary succession to occur? (Points : 4)
a climax community
human activity
soil
natural disasters
rain

13. Photoautotrophs using carbon dioxide from the atmosphere for their own needs is an example of a reservoir. (Points : 4)
True
False

14. A bird's nest in a tree is an example of ___________. (Points : 4)
mutualism
commensalism
parasitism
predation
an ecological niche

15. A keystone species is a particular species in a community that competes with all other species in that community for nutrients. (Points : 4)
True
False

16. The amount of a nutrient that moves from one component of the environment to another within a specified period of time is called the (Points : 4)
eutrophication.
recovery cycle.
transfer rate.
trophism.
food web.

17. Approximately 25% of all fresh water is used to irrigate crops. (Points : 4)
True
False

18. Hydropower is considered a renewable energy source. (Points : 4)
True
False

19. Most "green revolution" plants require relatively little fertilizer and pesticides. (Points : 4)
True
False

20. Most terrestrial organisms can live in a salty environment. (Points : 4)
True
False

21. The majority of biological extinctions are due to (Points : 4)
invasion by exotic species.
habitat loss.
overexploitation.
fossil fuel emissions.
pollution.

22. Scientists predict that the atmospheric ozone shield will recover from the damage wrought by chlorofluorocarbons. (Points : 4)
True
False

23. Aquaculture is a practice designed to decrease the amount of water used in irrigating crops. (Points : 4)
True
False

24. The California Geysers project is designed to harvest ____________. (Points : 4)
wind energy
solar energy
hydropower
hydrogen power
geothermal energy

25. Today's society is a sustainable society. (Points : 4)
True
False
11/16/2012
Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
Bizhelp
Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA