Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

What do you believe is the best strategy for a health care

What do you believe is the best strategy for a health care organization to enhance the security of electronic patient information? Why?

Owen :

Hello

Owen :

There are many strategies.....

Owen :

One strategy is to require not only a Username and Password, BUT to restrict access to patient records to those who have a 'Need to See'

Customer :

okay, thanks. Can I pleae have this answer in about 300 words please.

Owen :

Plus, Printing records need to be Limited only to THOSE who work in medical records or if a medical record Needs to be printed to transfer to another provider or doctor in an emergency, then there needs to have many safeguards.

Owen :

I can do 300 words for a bonus added of $30

Owen :

do you agree?

Customer :

then lets do 400 words for the bonus of $30/-

Customer :

is that acceptable offer?

Owen :

Okay - I agree -

Owen :

thank you

Customer :

thank you. Now tell me how can i add the bonus of 30/-

Owen :

you add that afterwards - and you do agree to do that ?

Customer :

promise.

Owen :

give about 15 to 30 minutes

Customer :

sure

Owen :

Hello are you still there

Owen :

Here are the first two paragraphs - I have a total of 4 more paragraphs -

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT and bonus

Owen :

thank you

Owen :

I mean I have a total of 4 more paragraphs for a total of 6 paragraphs.

Owen :

A patient medical record is something that can be easily seen if you have access to a medical record system and there are numerous ways of protecting this.

First, a medical record needs to have access ONLY to those who need access to patient personal data and hence a username needs to be used along with a password. The password XXXXX needs to be a high security password XXXXX contains upper and lower case letters, at least 2 numbers and at least 2 special characters and the password XXXXX to be at least 15 characters long, and the password XXXXX to be changed every 30 days.

In addition, only those who need to access a medical record should have access so a doctor or nurse who has no business looking into that medical record should be automatically blocked from viewing that medical record. For example psychiatric medical records should not be viewed by technicians, doctors or nurses who do not need this record.

Customer :

okay going to do it now.

Owen :

I will send you the total number of paragraphs then

Owen :

thank you

First, a medical record needs to have access ONLY to those who need access to patient personal data and hence a username needs to be used along with a password.The password XXXXX needs to be a high security password XXXXX contains upper and lower case letters, at least 2 numbers and at least 2 special characters and the password XXXXX to be at least 15 characters long, and the password XXXXX to be changed every 30 days.

In addition, only those who need to access a medical record should have access so a doctor or nurse who has no business looking into that medical record should be automatically blocked from viewing that medical record.For example psychiatric medical records should not be viewed by technicians, doctors or nurses who do not need this record.

Printing of medical records should not be readily printable, and hence printing of medical records should only be done by those who control the electronic medical record such as medical record rooms, or perhaps only by the doctor who has been treating the patient.Sometimes a medical record needs to be printed such as a medical record of an Obstetric Patient who went to another hospital, so that medical record can be printed for emergency purposes only IF a release of medical information has been signed and a secondary password XXXXX been entered to print that record so it can be FAX’d to a different hospital.

Also, there are other systems for accessing a medical record that not only require an Username and Password, but also the Hospital ID card needs to be inserted into the Keyboard and then a PIN number needs to be entered to access the medical record.

Also, patients themselves can control access to a medical record by locking out a medical record and only when the patient gives the Provider such as the doctor or nurse the PIN number can the medical record be accessed.

Finally, what also helps is to tell those who have access to the Electronic Medical Record system, that anytime they access a medical record their access will be electronically recorded because using medical records without express permission of the patient can compromise patient information and their personally Identifiable Information, so tell those with access they should only access what they need, and nothing more – and this also controls the access because people do not want to lose their jobs over their Integrity.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay i see the full answer now. Thank you.

I have posted another question out there as well. please check that out.

okay -
thank you