Dr_Collins
Dr_Collins,
54412793

Will you describe what therapeutic actions, indications, contraindicat

Customer Question

Will you describe what therapeutic actions, indications, contraindications, the most common adverse reactions, and important drug-drug interactions are for a narcotic?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Dr_Collins replied 5 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name isXXXXX and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

The most important interaction and adverse events for narcotics have to do with sedating and depressant effects.

Dr. C. :

Absolutely most important will be the effects on the respiratory system. Narcotics will slow down the breathing response and if there is overdose or another drug taken with a similar depressant effect, the respiratory reflex will be inhibited and a persons breathing may slow to a stop.

Dr. C. :

This is by far the most serious adverse reaction and dru-drug interaction.

Dr. C. :

drug-drug

Dr. C. :

The therapeutic action of narcotics is not completely understood but is thought to be a blockage of receptor sites that control pain impulses. The most important indication is for pain control. This is almost exclusively the indication for use of narcotics.

Dr. C. :

Contraindications are primarily the use of other drugs that may cause a drug-drug interaction and a history of narcotics dependence or abuse.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if you have any more questions or would like more detail. I aim for excellent service.