Chelsea
Chelsea, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  5 years of experience in tutoring
44576366

Assume that a genetic disorder is expressed on the recessive

Assume that a genetic disorder is expressed on the recessive gene. If the genotype (genetic make-up) of both father and mother is Aa, and the couple had children, what are the possible ways in which the kids will turn out? What percentage would be carriers of the disorder and what percentage would have the disorder?

Chelsea :

Hi, I would be happy to help you with that question!

Chelsea :

I'm working on it now, but I need to include a diagram so it will be just a few minutes.

Customer:

okay thank you!

Chelsea :

It's my pleasure!

Customer:

(:

Customer:

is it a complicated question?

Customer:

are you there?

Customer:

im not trying to rush you or anything, im just making sure you are there!

Customer:

hey! are you there now?

Chelsea :

I'm absolutely here! It's not so much complicated as I have trouble drawing graphs

Customer:

oh okay. I dont need the graphs if thats whats complicating it

Chelsea :

I can give you the straight answer right this moment if you don't need the Punnet Square. Deal!

Customer:

yea i drew the punnet square just did not understand the question.. thanks

Chelsea :

OK, so if you have two people with genotype of Aa then you will end up with a box with 4 separate options -- AA, Aa, Aa, and aa. This would translate to three child with a normal phenotype (the way they turn out) and one child with the genetic disorder. That means that 25% of the children would have the disorder, and 50% would be carriers.

Chelsea :

Does that answer your question, or do you need me to explain any of that?

Customer:

okay can you explain it to me.. i understand the punnet square but not why there would be any carriers or children with the disorder

Chelsea :

That's okay, it's a bit confusing. Each of the parents are carriers of the disease, which means that you get that one box with a genotype of "aa", right? That a represents the genetic disorder, so when the genotype only has the recessive trait it is actually expressed. If there is an "A" in the box then it means that there is a copy of the normal gene. Since this normal gene is dominant, it is the one that is expressed in the phenotype and produces a normal, healthy child.

Customer:

ohhh!! okay thank you!!! that helped a lot