Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Can a person be skeptical about everything, or are there limits?

Is it possible to doubt...
Can a person be skeptical about everything, or are there limits? Is it possible to doubt everything, or almost everything? Are there beliefs you possess that cannot be challenged or shown to be false? How might the skeptic respond to your claim that such a belief cannot be doubted?
6/29/2012
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student

Ray Atkinson :

This is a great question, and I would like to answer it, but I need to know if there is a length requirement.

Customer:

150-200 words

Ray Atkinson :

I can answer that then. When is it due, please?

Customer:

ummm... pretty much now

Ray Atkinson :

It's after 1am here, but I will do what I can. This is not something that can wait until morning?

Customer:

it is due at 11:59 pm my time. right now it is 12:09am but the state this is due in is a hour behind

Ray Atkinson :

whoa. Ok, I'll get on it. It may not be my best work, though.

Ray Atkinson :

basically, I have 50 minutes, right?

Ray Atkinson :

Do you need sources? (Please say no.)

Customer:

no sources

Customer:
Ray Atkinson :

this is getting longer that I expected. Is 200 a limit?

Ray Atkinson :

longer than I expected, that is.

Customer:

no

Customer:

it can be longer

Customer:
Ray Atkinson :

Let me polish it up a little, and you look it over.

Customer:

ok

Ray Atkinson :

Can I paste it here, or do you want it as a file?

Ray Atkinson :

268 words

Customer:

oh you can paste it

Ray Atkinson :

Rene Descartes pointed out that you can doubt everything that your senses tell you. He said that it was possible to be sick, either physically or mentally, to the point that your senses fail you and you hallucinate. You could be fooled into thinking anything. You could be dreaming all of this. The only thing that he said that you can be sure of is that you, yourself, exist. The fact that you are thinking about it proves that, but proves nothing else. This is an extreme case, since for people to function in society, there are things that need to be assumed to actually be true, such as laws and customs, but a person away from everyone else could get away with believing that the entire world is a construct of their imagination.
Any beliefs that cannot be challenged as false are called faith. People who are religious believe in a higher power that, in all major religions, is a supernatural power that requires faith and is not something that can be proven in a lab or a logic class. No one has been able to prove that God exists or does not exist. People who do believe are not swayed by people who do not, and atheists believe just as strongly that God does not exist.

A faithful person challenged by an atheist that his belief is something that could be doubted would likely agree, but it would not change his mind about his faith. The Christian Bible states that it is better to not know and yet believe than it is to know for surety.

Customer:

oh you can paste it

Ray Atkinson :

How does it look? I think I answer the four parts completely.

Customer:

thank you so much!!

Customer:

thank you so much

Ray Atkinson :

Please remember to rate my answer. I'm glad I could help. If you need help again, just put my name in the answer and I will be here to help.

Customer:

ok

Customer:
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student