Joanne
Joanne, Tutor
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Political Science
14883717

Can someone help me with an topic for ethics?

Joanne :

Hi

Joanne :

I am Joanne. Do you mind providing more information on your assignment?

Customer:

Identify, specifically, the ethical issue and the ethical problems it presents.
Drawing on various sources, explain how one of the classical theories
(utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics) would resolve the problem. Then,
contrast this response with the perspective brought to the issue by relativism,
emotivism, or ethical egoism. Finally, state which of
these views is closer to your own, supporting your response with a
clearly-presented and well-supported argument. The more specific you can be the
better, and feel free to include examples that will strengthen your account.

This is the question but, Im not sure what topic I want to write on Assisited Suicide or Gay Marriage.

Joanne :

I think gay marriage works fine. For the first part of the paper, you can discuss about ongoing debates on gay marriage and problems over legalizing it because some people feel that such marriages are unnatural or immoral.

Joanne :

Then, you can move on to utilitarianism which is simply concerned about maximizing the utility of all. In this case, it can be argued that marriage is simply between the two individuals, and what matters is that the couple is happy and satisfied with their partners in the marriage. Their private lives would not interfere with their working life or public life. Therefore, gay marriage should be legalized.

Joanne :

Then you can move on to discuss about relativism- that is how there is no absolute right or wrong. In United States, some feel strongly that gay marriage should be allowed because we are used to prioritizing individualism and individual rights. However, in Asian countries such as Singapore, gay marriages are not allowed because they are of a different culture altogether. Asians tend to be more collectivistic rather than individualistic. Hence, the views of different cultures on gay marriage should be respected.

Joanne :

The last part will require you to state which of these views are closer to your own. If you choose to support utilitarianism, you can provide evidence to show that gay marriages can actually be beneficial. It demonstrates the respect for human rights and the freedom of choice. You can also discuss about how some research has demonstrate that children from gay families can benefit from the stable union as opposed to unstable traditional marriages where divorce rates are high.

Joanne :

If you choose to support relativism, you can simply give examples of people in your life who support and oppose gay marriages, and how you think that they are right in their own ways.

Joanne :

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Customer:

Perfect and thank you

Customer: