Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Q1 The study of ecology focuses specifically on: A. the

Customer Question
Q1 The study of ecology...

Q1 The study of ecology focuses specifically on: A. the world that is all around us. B. the world of living things in our planet. C. the mutual relationship between organisms and the natural world. D. anything having to do with life.

Q2 According to the text, by 2050, it is believed that __________ of the earth's species will become extinct if rain forest destruction continues. A. 6% B. 14% C. 25% D. 50%

Q3 Wetlands are important for all of the following reasons EXCEPT: A. they provide local habitats for many species of animals and plants. B. one-third of endangered or threatened species in the U.S. live in or are dependent on them. C. they harbor the majority of the world's flowering species. D. they provide purification of local water supplies.

Q4 The percentage of China's rivers that were severely polluted in 2000 was __________; in 2002 it was __________. A. 12%; 20% B. 22%; 51% C. 32%; 65% D. 42%; 71%

Q5 The United States is responsible for __________ of the world's total energy consumption. A. 15% B. 25% C. 35% D. 45%

Q6 According to the article "The Grim Payback of Greed" our level of consumerism: A. is essentially a creation of the 20th century. B. has declined in the West but is growing rapidly in developing countries. C. is highly correlated with reported levels of happiness. D. is tied to our vast wealth, and to forces in the modern world that encourage people to act on their consumption desires.

Q7 Indirectly, the "meat-eating quarter of humanity" consumes nearly __________ of the world's grain. A. 15% B. 20% C. 40% D. 50%

Q8 According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen about __________ in the past century. A. 1% B. 5% C. 10% D. 12%

Q9 According to the textbook, an individual's most important decision that will effect the climate is: A. the choice to unplug an extra freezer that is rarely used. B. looking for the Energy Star on new appliances. C. selecting a fuel efficient automobile. D. planting a tree.

Q10 Which of the following was NOT a founding principle of the Kyoto Protocol? A. Scientific uncertainty must not be used to avoid precautionary action. B. Nations must have common but differentiated responsibilities. C. All nations must be included in the contract for it to work. D. Industrial nations must take the lead in addressing the problem.

Q11 The article "Young at Risk" proposes that the young of humans and animals are more vulnerable to chemical pollutant exposure due to all of the following reasons EXCEPT that: A. their brains are less sensitive than those of mature humans and animals. B. the young eat and breathe more for their body weights than adults, so they get bigger proportional doses of external pollutants. C. accumulated dioxin slows action to the immune system. D. they will be getting about 50 times the exposure of an adult during critical developmental stages.

Q12 The central problem in the international fishing industry is: A. "poaching" by foreign vessels in the territorial waters of small nations. B. laws restricting fishing in waters with the most abundant fish populations. C. the decline in fish populations due to over-fishing, pollution, and habitat destruction. D. a lack of enforcement of the Magnuson Fishery Conservation and Management Act.

Q13 The reauthorization of the Magnuson Act in 1996 focused on all of the following EXCEPT: A. overfishing. B. funding. C. air quality. D. habitat degradation.

Q14 According to the text, problems associated with the Endangered Species Act include all of the following EXCEPT: A. its use as a "last-chance" approach to saving endangered species. B. the creation of conflict between individual property owners and government regulations concerning species. C. a lack of public support for the Act. D. ill-defined categories concerning the level of threat posed by human activities to individual species.

Q15 Aside from lead, the two air pollutants most hazardous to human health are: A. sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide. B. ozone and sulfur dioxide. C. ozone and fine airborne particulates. D. nitrous oxides and carbon monoxide.

Q16 Which of the following is an ingredient of acid rain? A. Lead B. Nitrogen dioxide C. VOCs D. Ozone

Q17 The process of searching for new natural medicines is called: A. drug testing. B. bioprospecting. C. FDA approval seeking. D. curative compounding.

Q18 The economic value of the rain forest is based upon all of the following EXCEPT: A. plants that potentially contain the basis for new medicines. B. its value as a source of raw materials. C. its value as a food source. D. its value as a fossil fuel source.

Q19 In considering the origins of the top 150 drugs in the United States, __________ origins account for the greatest percentage of drugs. A. synthetic B. animal C. plant D. marine

Q20 :The central problems mentioned in the case study concerning the Love Canal include all of the following EXCEPT that

A. developers and the school board knew about the chemical dump, but proceeded anyway.
B. individual citizens are powerless to make a difference in situations concerning waste dumping.

C. there are chemical dumps around the U.S. and the world which are annually increasing. Improved safe dumping and developing/ building standards need to be carefully created and monitored for safety of citizenry.

D. there are many heavily concentrated chemical dumps close to the Niagara River and such leaching and damage to the environment similar to ***** could easily again happen.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
6/3/2012
Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
I'm still waiting for an answer urgently. Thank you.
Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Tutor: Jane T (LLC), Former straight A Student - Now Mom replied 5 years ago
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Former straight A Student - Now Mom

Can you indicate whether this is for a science or environmental class?
Science... :-)
Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate