Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. All of the following theoretical ideas are associated with

Customer Question
Karl Marx, except A. economic...
1. All of the following theoretical ideas are associated with Karl Marx, except A. economic determinism.
B. positivism.
C. dialectic.
D. capitalism as a source of conflict and inequality.
2. Social values are defined by your textbook as
A. the normal, habitual ways of doing things.
B. shared rules of conduct that specify how people ought to think and act.
C. shared ideas about what's a valuable goal.
D. strong ideas about what's morally right or wrong as enforced by the police powers of the state.
3. Your text argues that _______ help to explain what's common to humankind across societies, while _______ explains why people and societies differ from one another.
A. biological factors; culture
B. technological advances; cultural universals C. social structure; biology
D. cultural universals; genetics
4. Modern theories of cognitive development were developed primarily by A. George Herbert Mead.
B. Herbert Spencer.
C. Jean Piaget.
D. Sigmund Freud.
5. Professor Manning points out that girls and boys are raised in what amounts to literally different cultures. As a result, girls and boys learn distinct approaches to social interaction and subtly inconsistent ways of characterizing the social status of the opposite sex. The professor is most probably introducing her students to the __________ perspective.
A. conflict
B. structural-functionalist C. cultural-relativist
D. symbolic-interactionist

6. Which of the following principles is illustrated by laws requiring the use of seat belts? A. Elimination of values
B. Creation of values
C. Emphasis on voluntary compliance
D. Using laws to create norms
7. Given the context of your textbook's discussion, which of these activities would you be most likely to
pursue to acquire cultural capital?
A. Reading everything you can find about your Native American ancestors B. Improving your golf score
C. Learning English as a second language
D. Collecting baseball cards
8. Norms that characterize the customary, normal, and habitual ways people are expected to do things are known as
A. customs. B. mores. C. laws.
D. folkways.
9. "Society is like an organism, the parts work in harmony to contribute to the maintenance of the whole. A healthy society is one that's public." These statements are consistent with which sociological perspective?
A. Symbolic interaction
B. Cultural determinism
C. Structural-functional theory D. Conflict theory
10. In Mead's theory, the "I" is the A. self of which we're aware.
B. spontaneous, creative part of the self. C. selfless, other-centered part of the self. D. self as social object.
11. Which of these statements best reflects Mead's concept of the generalized other? A. Most of us learn our social roles from watching what other people do.
B. Anyone Jane doesn't recognize as a significant other, she considers a generalized other.
C. Ike has an overall understanding of the norms and values of his culture.
D. Jake imagines what it's like to be firefighter and decides he would like to be a firefighter.
12. The variable in a hypothesis that precedes or causes a change in the other variable in the hypothesis is
called the _______ variable. A. dependent
B. sample
C. control
D. independent
13. Lucinda has recently moved to the United States from Colombia. Her children no longer speak Spanish and are learning to live like American children. Lucinda's children are experiencing
A. ethnocentrism.
B. cultural relativism. C. assimilation.
D. multiculturalism.
14. Regarding consumerism, which statement is most accurate?
A. Advertising is so pervasive these days that it has only a marginal impact on consumer purchasing decisions. B. As consumer debt has increased, family purchases have declined proportionally.
C. As women increasingly joined the workforce, families tended to buy more consumer goods.
D. Consumerism is a form of economic cultural diffusion.
15. The transmission of culture from one person (or generation) to the next is dependent on A. natural human instincts.
B. the human capacity for language.
C. the human capacity for creating and using technology.
D. a large brain.
16. The self-concept is best defined as
A. the spontaneous reaction we have to others in our daily lives.
B. a person's thoughts regarding his or her personality and social roles. C. the selfish egocentric part of the self.
D. the way other people perceive us.
17. Which of the following is the correct definition of sanctions? A. The forms of interaction through which people relate to one another
B. The expectation that people will return favors when they're obligated to do so C. Rewards for conformity and punishments for nonconformity
D. Lifestyles that are opposed to the wider culture
18. In Freudian theory, the _______ is the natural, unsocialized biological component of the psyche that includes hunger and sexual urges.
A. ego
B. superego C. me
D. id
19. The difficulties that John and Mary experience in their marriage represent a personal trouble. According
to C. Wright Mills, the f
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
6/1/2012
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 5 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for the question.

Please repost questions #19 and #20.

ok and Im trying to leave you a tip but it isn't working on the phone to cs now
to C. Wright Mills, the fact that 250 out of every 1,000 marriages end in divorce within the first four years, however, is
A. a latent dysfunction of marriage. B. a public issue.
C. meaningless.
D. a sign of moral collapse.
20. According to Kingsley Davis, a manifest function of prostitution is that it A. increases sexual crimes of violence.
B. provides a sexual outlet for men who can't compete in the marriage market.
C. keeps many women properly employed and off the streets.
D. protects the bargaining position of married women.
hows it going
how are you doing on the answers
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

The answer for #12 should be D. independent. Sorry for that typo. Thanks for the "accept' and feedback!

Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work