Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1-121. Which of the following does

Customer Question
1-12 1. Which of the following...

1-12

1. Which of the following does your textbook recommend as a way to deal with nervousness in your speeches? (Points : 2)

A. Visualize yourself giving a successful speech.
B. Concentrate on communicating with the audience, rather than on your nerves.
C. Choose a topic you care about and prepare thoroughly for the speech.
D. All of the above

2. According to your textbook, rather than trying to eliminate every trace of stage fright, you should aim at transforming it into (Points : 2)

A. General enxiety.
B. Visualized adrenaline.
C. Professional stage fright.
D. Positive nervousness.
E. Confident apprehension.

3. When your textbook describes public speaking as a form of empowerment, it means that public speaking is (Points : 2)

A. A way to manipulate people.
B. A way to make a difference in something we care about.
C. A way to make everyone see things through our frame of reference.
D. A way to demonstrate how clever we are.
E. A way to make bad ideas seem good.

4. As explained in your textbook, the three main parts of a speech are called (Points : 2)

A. The opening, the center, and the end.
B. The introduction, the body, and the conclusion.
C. The attention-getter, the main section, and the ending.
D. The preview, the main points, and the close.
E. The beginning, the core, and the conclusion

5. A carefully prepared and rehearsed speech that is presented from a brief set of notes is called a(n) ________speech. (Points : 2)
A. Extemporaneous
B. Spontaneous
C. Transitional
D. Contemporaneous
E. Informative

6. According to your textbook, a common mistake students make A. When developing their first speech is (Points : 2)

B. Using PowerPoint improperly.
C. Trying to cover too much material.
D. Not doing enough library research.
E. A and C only.

7. To avoid plagiarism when using information from an Internet document in your speech, your textbook recommends that you A. A. Keep a record of (Points : 2)

B. The title of the document.
C. The author or organization responsible for the document.
D. The date on which you accessed the document.
E. A and B only.

8. The _____ is a one-sentence statement that sums up or encapsulates the major ideas of a speech. (Points : 2)

A. Specific purpose
B. Central idea
C. Introduction
D. General purpose
E. Outline

9. Audience-centeredness means that public speaker should (Points : 2)

A. Keep the audience foremost in mind throughout the speech-making process.
B. Use any means necessary to gain the assent of the audience.
C. Avoid choosing topics that are controversial.
D. All of the above

10. One of the ways speakers analyze audiences is by looking at traits such as age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, group membership, and racial, ethnic and cultural background. According to your textbook, what is this called? (Points : 2)

A. Demographic audience analysis
B. Psychological audience analysis
C. Background audience analysis
D. Situational audience analysis.
E. Descriptive audience analysis.

11. Identify the flaw in the following specific purpose statement for a classroom speech: "To inform my audience about the stock market." (Points : 2)

A. It's too figurative.
B. It's too detailed.
C. It's too general.
D. It's too technical.
E. It's too trivial.

12. Your textbook recommends that when you deliver your first speech, you should make an effort to (Points : 2)

A. Maintain eye contact with the audience.
B. Use your voice expressively.
C. Avoid distracting mannerisms.
D. All of the above

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
5/26/2012
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 5 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Answers are as follows:

1. D. All of the above
2. D. Positive nervousness
3. B. A way to make a difference in something we care about
4. B. The introduction, the body, and the conclusion
5. A. Extemporaneous
6. B. Trying to cover too much material
7. E. A and B only
8. B. Central idea
9. A. Keep the audience foremost in mind throughout the speech-making process
10. A. Demographic audience analysis
11. C. It's too general
12. D. All of the above

Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Final Questions -

26. When used in a speech introduction, telling a story, asking a question, making a startling statement, and arousing curiosity are all methods of (Points: 2 )

A. Previewing the body of the speech
B. Enhancing the speaker's creditability
C. Establishing goodwill with the audience
D. Gaining the attention of the audience

27. According to your textbook, what kind of reasoning is used in the following statement?
Last summer, a five-year-old boy in Seattle was killed by his brother when the two were playing with their father's gun. Last month, four-year-old Dylan Jackson accidentally killed himself after finding a loaded gun at a friend's home during a birthday party. In Tampa, Florida, a two-year-old shot himself in the chest with a pistol left in the family couch. Clearly, children in America are at risk from gun accidents. (Points: 2)

A. Chain reasoning
B. Reasoning from principle
C. Deductive reasoning
D. Reasoning from specific instances

29. According to your textbook, when using PowerPoint in a speech, you should (Points: 2)

A. Try to come up with a slide for every point in the speech
B. Use PowerPoint only where it is needed to communicate your ideas
C. Write your points on the slides so the audience can read along with you
D. All of the above

30. Visual aids can be very useful to a speaker because they (Points: 2)

A. Often take the place of statistics
B. Enhance the clarity of a speaker's idea
C. Can be passed among members of the audience
D. Do not require a great deal of explanation
E. All of the above

34. A contemporary research term creditability was termed by Aristotle as (Points: 2)

A. Ethics
B. Logos
C. Ethos
D. Pathos
E. Credos

35. "To persuade my audience to take a class that will teach them CPR" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of (Points: 2)

A. Fact
B. Attitude
C. Value
D. Policy
E. Opinion

36. Which organizational pattern is especially effective for persuasive speeches that seek immediate action by listeners? (Points: 2)

A. Comparative advantages order
B. Monroe's motivated sequence
C. Problem-solution order
D. Reflective-thinking sequence
E. Psychological process order

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work