Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Module 4: evolution and Biodiversity 1. How is a population

Module 4: evolution and Biodiversity...
Module 4: evolution and Biodiversity
1. How is a population defined?
a. all of the individuals of the same species
b. all of the individuals of the same species that occupy the same area
c. all of the individuals of the same species that have the possibility of breeding with one another
d. both b and c
2. What is a gene pool?
a. all of the genes and genotypes present in a genus
b. all of the genes and genotypes present in a population
c. all of the possible alleles for one characteristic
d. the amino acids available for protein synthesis
3. What do the terms evolution and evolve mean in the field of biology?
a. The word evolution means change, and things that change are said to evolve. Biologically, this occurs at the level of the population, not the organism.
b. The word evolution means change, and things that change are said to evolve. Biologically, this occurs when a single organism's features are modified by the environment in which it lives.
c. The word evolution means change, and things that change are said to evolve. Biologically, this occurs when a small group of organisms acquire a trait through repeated reactions to a new stimulus.
d. none of the above
4. What four factors can cause the frequency of alleles and genotypes in a population's gene pool to change; i.e., what four factors can cause evolution to occur?
a. natural selection, mutation , gene flow, and genetic drift
b. weather, season, amount of daylight, and humidity
c. temperature, pH, salinity, and density
d. dominant/recessive, incomplete dominant, co-dominant, and polygenic traits
5. What is meant by the phrase "evolution through natural selection"?
a. Living organisms that are badly suited to survive in their environment are able to modify their genes to make themselves better suited to their environment.
b. Living organisms that are better suited to their environment are more likely to survive, reproduce, and pass their genes on to the next generation.
c. Living organisms that encounter changes in their environment are able to modify their genes to survive the change.
d. Living organisms that are badly suited to their environment are less likely to survive and reproduce, which makes it less likely that they will pass their genes on to the next generation.
e. both b and d
6. Which of the following individuals is/are credited with stating the theory of evolution through natural selection?
a. Francis Crick
b. Charles Darwin
c. Rosalind Franklin
d. Carolus Linneaus
e. Barbara McClintock
f. Gregor Mendel
g. Alfred Wallace
h. XXXXX XXXXX
i. Charles Darwin and Alfred Wallace
7. What is an adaptive trait?
a. a characteristic whose genes are located on the X or Y chromosome
b. a feature that is no longer used by the organism
c. the particular features that allow an organism to survive in a particular environment
d. the characteristic expressed when the genotype is heterozygous
8. Consider a man with the genotype Bb who leaves his country of birth and moves to another country where all of the people have the genotype BB. He marries a BB woman and they have a Bb child. Is this an example of gene flow or genetic drift?
a. gene flow
b. genetic drift
c. neither of the above
9. In the evolutionary tree discussed earlier in this section, which two species of bears share the closest evolutionary relationship? Which two species of bears are most distantly related to one another?
a. a. closely: spectacled and giant panda; distantly: spectacled and sloth
b. b. closely: sloth and giant panda; distantly: spectacled and giant panda
c. c. closely: spectacled and sloth; distantly: spectacled and giant panda
d. d. closely: spectacled and sloth; distantly: giant panda and sloth
10. To what does the term macroevolution refer?
a. a change over time in a large population of organisms
b. an adaptation in which a small trait becomes larger over time
c. a field of study that attempts to identify similarities within all of this diversity and determine which species share an evolutionary relationship
d. an adaptation that is a clearly visible physical characteristic
11. What types of similarities do scientists consider when attempting to determine whether two organisms share an evolutionary relationship and a common ancestor?
a. historical comparisons
b. anatomical comparisons
c. developmental pattern comparisons
d. biochemical comparisons
e. all of the above
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2012
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work