1) The comment "Eye Contact!" would most likely appear on a
complete -sentence outline.
2) To minimize anxiety before giving a presentation, one should
practice only in front of a mirror.
drink a lot of caffeine.
plan, prepare, and practice.
realize that most people do not share a common fear of public speaking.
3) __________ enable(s) organizations to see how potential employees will behave on the job and how they will adapt to the corporate culture.
Personal job applications
4) Which of the following could be an obstacle to the achievement of goals in the interview?
an uncomfortable setting and inconvenient time for the interview
sufficient preparation by the interviewer
the interviewee talking enthusiastically
a willingness to contribute on the part of the interviewer
5) Which of the following types of support material can be used to reduce large masses of information into categories, to emphasize size, or to indicate trends?
6) It is helpful for the interviewer to define the __________ qualifications necessary for the job to avoid selecting overqualified candidates.
7) What type of informative presentation format simply gives an account of the status quo?
8) What is one of the most common mistakes made by beginning speakers regarding their listeners?
assuming that each audience needs a different speech
assuming that the same speech can be given to different audiences
assuming that each speech requires different supporting material
assuming that each presentation requires different visual aids
9) The responsibility for conducting an interview legally rests with the __________, not with the __________ .
10) An effective closing has three parts. Which of the following describes part two?
allowing the candidate to ask any final questions about the position
allowing the candidate to warm up for other possible interviews
summarizing the main issues discussed in the interview
reestablishing rapport by thanking the candidate, shaking hands, and making sure he/she knows the way out of the office
11) The interviewee designs the résumé and the cover letter based on the __________ and the research done on the company.
12) __________ provide(s) a "second opinion" for an interviewer.
13) The method of delivery that encourages thorough preparation, adaptability for contingencies of any situation, and flexibility is
14) What three characteristics do most definitions of an interview have in common?
relationships, communication, and skills
planned, dyadic, and interactive discourse
planned, dyadic, and interpersonal activity
interviewer, interviewee, and adviser
15) What type of informative presentation addresses "why" questions?
16) Which of the following is NOT one of the general purposes mentioned in the text?
17) An effective delivery style is
conversational, indirect, obtrusive, and intelligible.
intelligible, conversational, direct, and unobtrusive.
entertaining, conversational, indirect, and unobtrusive.
intelligible, indirect, unobtrusive, and memorized.
18) According to the text, the three functions of an introduction are
to entertain, preview purpose, and motivate.
to orient, motivate, and build rapport.
to build credibility, review main points, and provide a closing thought.
to motivate, entertain, and celebrate.
19) Which of the following is NOT a demographic variable?
economic and social status
20) Opinion leaders are __________ those who are high in rank within a business or organization.
21) Which type of persuasive presentation serves to maintain the status quo and strengthen the audience's attitudes, values, and beliefs?
call to action
22) What are the three typical formats for persuasive presentations?
motivation sessions, briefings, and reports
briefings, proposals, and meetings
sales, proposals, and motivational sessions
sales, meetings, and reports