Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

200 word minimum response required. Credible reference materials In-text

200 word minimum response required. Credible...
200 word minimum response required.
Credible reference materials
In-text and reference citations are required for all written responses.
NOT REQUIRED: title page, margins, header, double spacing, and hanging indentation

Need completed before Monday 3/11/2012
Question 1
Most birth control measures are designed for and marketed to women. Why do you think this is the case? Is it just the woman’s responsibility? What could be the advantages of creating more birth control methods for men?

Question 2
Many health problems (heart disease, high cholesterol, Type II diabetes, etc.) are induced, in part, by an individual’s lifestyle. Many of these are treated with medicines; however, many could be effectively treated through dietary and lifestyle changes. Which approach is best? Should we take medications when they are available, or should we try to treat health problems by changing behaviors?
3/7/2012
Chris12
Chris12, Teacher

Chris12 :

Hello, may I be of assistance? What is the latest time March 11th that the assignment can be turned it? How many refs needed? How many pages or words required? APA? Is there additional information needed to complete?

Customer:

200 word minimum response required. Credible reference materials In-text and reference citations are required for all written responses. NOT REQUIRED: title page, margins, header, double spacing, and hanging indentation

Customer:

There is not a limit to the number of references. APA format. No additional information is needed.

Chris12 :

I understand, I'm on it.

Customer:

Ok!

Chris12 :

Question 1 Most birth control measures are designed for and marketed to women. Why do you think this is the case? Is it just the woman’s responsibility? What could be the advantages of creating more birth control methods for men?

The traditional thought about birth control is that women are the vessels that carry the children while the men simple carry around the sperm. With this in mind it seems easier to stop the child from being born by stopping the women from producing eggs, rather than stop the man from producing sperm. A women can take pills, get shots, have devices inserted which are temporary measures (Furstenberg, Gordis & Markowitz 1969). Other more permanent means of birth control are cutting and/or burning the fallopian tubes, the last measure is a hysterectomy (Kerin, Carignan & Cher 2008). When it comes to the male the birth control situation takes on a whole new perspective.

Men in society are encouraged to “sow their wild oats” if a man can’t perform or has sperm issues he’s not really considered a man. Some men claim to have an issue with wearing a condom and mostly think of baby prevention as the women’s responsibility. There are two additional ways for men not to produce sperm, expose their scrotum to high temperatures which reduces the amount of sperm produced or they can get a vasectomy(Mieusset & Bujan 2008). The advantages of male birth control include: empathy towards the females, reduced pregnancies, child support prevention and in some cases it would cause the males to grow up.

Ultimately, men are the seeders of the human race not the women and because of this fact the men should also be responsible for baby prevention.

Question 2 Many health problems (heart disease, high cholesterol, Type II diabetes, etc.) are induced, in part, by an individual’s lifestyle. Many of these are treated with medicines; however, many could be effectively treated through dietary and lifestyle changes. Which approach is best? Should we take medications when they are available, or should we try to treat health problems by changing behaviors?

The American society faces three handicaps. The first handicap is a fast paced lifestyle which includes, long days at the office and limited time to fit in other tasks. With all this running around that people do eating healthy is next to impossible. McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Taco Bell and the ability to order out removes the responsibility of thinking and examining what we eat and how we prepare it (Paerafakul, Ferdinand, Champagne, Ryan & Bray 2003). The second handicap is sedentariness. There are several types of transportation that people can use other than walking, running or riding a bike. These vehicles are not limited to cars, motorcycles etc. Stairs are forsaken for elevators or escalators. If something is easier than people will most likely take it (Van Der Horst, Paw, Twisk & Van Mechelen 2007).

The third handicap is the medical model (Engel 1977). Western based psychology is very good at diagnosing people and then prescribing drugs that are supposed to solve the problem. This is the essence of the medical model, find out what’s wrong through symptoms and then throw drugs at the problem to either terminate it or lessen its affects. In non-Western countries the holistic model is applied, treating the entire person and not simply the problems. When looking at the situation from this perspective people who chose to take the medications instead of changing their behaviors to create a healthier lifestyle. Change is scary and often times unwanted in people’s lives. A level of control is always desired and if change must take place then people would rather chose the change, hence, taking the drugs.

References

Engel, G.L. (1977 April 8). The need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine. Science, 196, 129-136. DOI: 10.1126/science.847460

Furstenberg, F., Gordis, L. & Markowitz M. (1969 February). Birth Control Knowledge and

Attitudes Among Unmarried Pregnant Adolescents: A Preliminary Report. Journal Of Marriage And the Family. http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/350004?uid=3739680&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=47698739664417

Kerin, J.F., Carignan, C.S. & Cher, D. (2008 Febuary 13). The safety and effectivness of a new

hysteroscopic method for permanent birth control: results of the first Essure pbc clinical study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 41, 364-370. DOI: 10.1111/j.1479-828X.2001.tb01311.x

Mieusset, R. & Bujan, L. (2008 June 28). Testicular heating and its possible contributions to

male infertility: a review. International Journal of Andrology, 18, 169-184. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2605.1995.tb00408.x

Paerafakul, S., Ferdinand, D.P., Champagne, C.M., Ryan, D.H. & Bray, G.A. (2003 October).

Fast-food consumption amoung US adults and children: Dietary and nutrient intake profile. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 103, 1332-1338. doi:10.1016/S0002-8223(03)01086-1

Van Der Horst, K., Paw, M.J.C.A., Twisk, J.W.R. & Van Mechelen, W. (2007 August). A Brief

Review on Correlates of Physical Activity and Sedentariness in Youth. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 39, 1241-1250. doi: 10.1249/mss.0b013e318059bf35

Customer:

Thank you very much for you work. Answers accepted

Chris12
Chris12, Teacher
You're welcome. If you need help again just let me know. Have a great weekend.
Chris12
Chris12
Chris12, Teacher