Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1.Although the traditional ideology of capitalism stresses

Customer Question
the benefits of free competition...
1.Although the traditional ideology of capitalism stresses the benefits of free competition, large corporations suffered from the competitive environment. What economic factor made businesses-railroads in particular seek to minimize competition?
A. the profit motive
B.government interference
C.labor unions
D.high fixed costs
2.For ordinary workers to affect the industrial order, they had to develop their own kind of integrated system; specifically, they had to pursue
A.Socialism.
B.fraternal cooperation.
C.unionization.
D.individual stock ownership.
3.Which statement about the American Federation of Labor is true?
A.The AFL, a combination of craft unions, stressed concrete, practical economic gains.
B.The AFL's approach to labor consolidation paralleled Gustavus Swift's and Andrew Carnegie's primary technique of business consolidation.
C.The AFL attracted a majority of U.S. skilled workers into its ranks.
D.The AFL's longtime leader was Eugene V. Debs.
4.In the late 1800s, strikes
A.won the sympathies of average Americans for the workers' cause.
B.were frequently the most common form of labor protest.
C.occurred in the dangerous mining and timber industries, but not in more specialized activities like railroads or steel.
D.were usually planned and directed by labor union leaders.
5.What transformed the appearance of American cities in the late 1800s?
A.The streetcar and subway spread the city out.
B.The skyscraper stretched the city up.
C.The city spread both outward and upward, due to streetcars, subways, and skyscrapers.
D.None of these answers is correct.
6.Frances Willard led the Victorian campaign against
A.alcohol.
B.pornography.
C.poverty.
D.child labor.
7.Which of the following activities became a craze during the Victorian era, representing a mixed activity that could be enjoyed together by men and women?
A.driving autos
B.river boating
C.baseball
D.cycling
8.The Red Stockings from Cincinnati became, in 1869, the first
A.traveling religious revival show.
B.Indian rights organization.
C.professional baseball team.
D.department store chain.
9. the story of "World's Columbian Exposition" makes the point that
A.the 1890s marked a return to a more stable political and social order after the upheavals of the previous two decades.
B.a political revolution in the 1890s undermined the longstanding power of the Republican party.
C.American society and the world had been transformed by the industrial revolution.
D.by the 1890s, politicians from the South and the West were winning national office more regularly than easterners.
10.Which party tended to support a program of active federal support for economic growth, including high tariffs?
A.Democrats
B.Republicans
C.Both the Democrats and the Republicans tended to support a program of active federal support.
D.None of these answers is correct.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/22/2012
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 5 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for the question.

1. A. the profit motive

2. C. unionization.

3. A. The AFL, a combination of craft unions, stressed concrete, practical economic gains.

4. B. were frequently the most common form of labor protest.

5. C. The city spread both outward and upward, due to streetcars, subways, and skyscrapers

6. A. alcohol.

7. D. cycling

8. C. professional baseball team.

9. C. American society and the world had been transformed by the industrial revolution.

10. B. Republicans

Hope this helps!

Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

1.As a result of the depression of 1893,

A.new attitudes toward poverty and government responsibility emerged.
B.the federal government adopted a silver standard of currency.
C.the Populists expanded their following to the urban working classes.
D.the Democrats and Republicans unified around strong leaders.

2.In the 1890s, the U.S. acquired all of the following EXCEPT

A.the Philippine Islands.
B.the Hawaiian Islands.
C.the Virgin Islands.
D.Puerto Rico.

3.What is the best statement of the relationship between progressives and business?

A.Business and progressive leaders shared a commitment to progress through efficiency and modern managerial techniques.
B.Businessmen organized and funded political opposition to progressive political leaders.
C.Progressives agreed on the need to control big business by breaking up "the trusts."
D.When progressives gained political power, they eliminated the influence of the businessman and the boss.

4.Which statement about various expressions of progressivism is true?

A.Such intellectual theorists of progressivism as Edward Ross or Thorstein Veblen believed strongly that society should conform to certain abstracted and fixed natural laws of human behavior, regardless of social conditions or environmental influences.
B.The concept of "gas and water socialism" referred to the process by which reform mayors turned to public ownership of city utilities early in the twentieth century. C."Sociological jurisprudence" refused to consider the social environment, stressing that legal precedent was more important than experience.
D.The American philosophy that truth is relative and directly related to whether an individual proposal works is called empiricism.

5.The Nineteenth Amendment granting women the right to vote was embraced by many progressives because

A.a large majority of American voters now favored it.
B.it could offset growing jingoism and militarism, especially once World War I began.
C.the women agitating for it moderated the radicalism of their campaign.
D.the higher moral character of women would help clean up politics.

6.The "Square Deal" meant

A.that, standing astride a balance of big labor and big capital, big government could ensure evenhanded treatment for all.
B.negotiating labor contracts on behalf of workers, while interceding for bankers and manufacturers in foreign markets.
C.cooperating with the four key Republican senators.
D.trust-busting.

7.Taft's "dollar diplomacy" was intended to accomplish all of the following EXCEPT

A.encourage private corporations to invest abroad.
B.foster economic stability.
C.tie debt-ridden nations to the U.S. instead of Europe.
D.promote American corporate interests overseas through regular use of armed force.

8.All of the following inclined the U.S. toward entering on the side of the Allies in WWI EXCEPT

A.that although some progressives opposed war, the idealistic progressive spirit pointed toward an American campaign to end militarism and establish a peaceful world order.
B.that the U.S. had cultural, economic, and historical ties to the Allies.
C.that although a pacifist at heart, Wilson campaigned for re-election in 1916 on a hawkish platform - and won decisively.
D.that the Germans employed submarine warfare against American merchant vessels.

9.What was the fate of Wilson's fundamental premise of national self-determination, as implemented in the Treaty of Versailles?

A.It was applied to the defeated powers, but not to the new League of Nations.
B.It was applied in part, especially in eastern Europe and the former German colonies.
C.It was applied specifically to the Germans living in the area that was to become the revived nation of Poland.
D.It was sacrificed to satisfy the greed and revenge of the victorious powers.

10.The end of the war, the success of Bolshevism in Russia, and the sense of cultural crisis led to all EXCEPT

A.fear of labor militancy at home.
B.fear of organized conspiracies to overthrow the government.
C.fear of foreign terrorist or military attack.
D.anarchist bombings.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work