Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

Wikipedia is a free, editable, online dictionary. Just recently,

Wikipedia is a free, editable, online dictionary. Just recently, Sergey Brin (co-founder of Google) and his wife Ann Wojcicki, donated $500,000 to Wikipedia to keep it free from advertising. Prior to that, in February, 2010, Google donated 2 million to keep Wikipedia running. Over the last decade, Wikipedia has become the fifth most popular Website in the world, with some 477 million unique visitors a month according to comScore. Founder Jimmy Wales discusses the challenges of running Wikipedia in these terms: Google has almost a million servers, Wikipedia has 679.

Answer all three questions:

1. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the Wikipedia approach to knowledge dissemination? How does Wikipedia compare with the traditional encyclopedia? Disscus the differences in 'trust' between the periods 2001 and 2011. Discuss the fact that Wikipedia is not funded by advertisements.

2. By the end of 2005, there were over 4,000 very active "Wikipedians" (those individuals who contribute 100 times or more per month) and 27,000 individuals contributing at least 5 times per month. What factors might explain the motivation and commitment of such a large group of volunteers?

3. Using the topic Computer Threats and Vunerabilities (or any other topic you may consider yourself expert in), either create a Wikipedia page or edit one. What did you think of the experience? What do you think of online communities such as Wikipedia? If you already belong to an online community (ie not Wikipedia), feel free to share those experiences with the class instead.

Answer do not have to be long or in any format. This is for discussion only.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Still needed

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.