Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Profitability Ratios Most Commonly Used

Customer Question
5. Profitability ratios most commonly...
5. Profitability ratios most commonly used to evaluate a company's financial performance include:
a. its gross profit margin, operating profit margin, net profit margin, return on stockholders' equity (ROE), return on invested capital (ROIC), and earnings per share (EPS).
b. its debt-to-equity ratio, current ratio, operating profit margin, inventory turnover ratio, and internal cash flow.
c. days of inventory, free cash flow, net return on total assets (ROA), and return on invested capital (ROIC).
d. its net profit margin, working capital ratio, leverage ratio, dividend payout ratio, and retained earnings ratio, and price-earnings ratio.
e. total return on assets, current ratio, long-term debt-to-capital ratio, and free cash flow.
6. In a weighted competitive strength assessment, the measures selected as indicators of competitive strength should be based on:
a. those factors that are the biggest determinants of company market shares; the importance weights assigned to each of these market share determinants should sum to 1.0.
b. those factors that are the biggest determinants of a company's revenues and sales volume, and the importance weights assigned to each of these strength measures should sum to 1.0.
c. those factors that are the biggest determinants of company profitability, and the importance weights assigned to each of these strength measures should sum to 0 (because the sum of the weights of factors that negatively affect profitability should equal the sum of the weights that positively affect profitability).
d. those factors and product attributes that buyers will find most appealing; the importance weights assigned to each of these factors/product attributes should sum to 1.0.
e. industry key success factors and other important determinants of whether industry members will be competitively successful or not so successful; the importance weights assigned to each of these strength measures should sum to 1.0
7. Which one of the following is not an indicator of how well a company's current strategy is working?
a. Whether the company's profit margins are rising or falling and how well its margins compare to the profit margins of its closest rivals
b. Whether the company's sales are growing faster, slower, or about the same pace as the industry as a whole, thus resulting in a rising, falling, or stable market share
c. Whether the company has a at least two core competencies, one distinctive competence, and a sustainable competitive advantage over its closest rivals
d. Whether the firm's image and reputation with its customers is growing stronger or weaker
e. How well the firm stacks up against rivals on technology, product innovation, customer service, product performance and quality, price, delivery time, speed in getting newly developed products to market, brand image, and other relevant factors on which buyers base their choice of which brand to purchase.
8. Which one of the following is not something that can be learned from doing a competitive strength assessment (as illustrated in Table 3.4 and explained in the accompanying discussion)?
a. The kinds of offensive actions a company might use to exploit its competitive strengths and the kinds of defensive actions it might employ to reduce its competitive vulnerabilities
b. Which of the rated competitors are employing offensive strategies and which are employing defensive strategies
c. Whether a company has a net competitive advantage or a net competitive disadvantage relative to key rivals (with the size of the advantage/disadvantage being indicated by the differences among the companies' overall competitive strength scores)
d. Which rival company is competitively weakest and the competitive areas where it is most vulnerable to attack
e. The competitively relevant factors on which a company is competitively strongest and weakest relative to key rivals
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
2/8/2012
Tutor: Steve, MBA replied 5 years ago
Steve
Steve, MBA
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Steve
Steve, MBA
Steve
Steve
Steve, MBA