Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

physics: (1) in terms of focal length, how far is the camera

physics: (1) in terms of focal length, how far is the camera from the film when very distant objects are being photographed?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

still waiting
Expert:  Donna-moderator replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

In terms of focal length, how far is the camera lens from the film when very distant objects are being photographed?

The relationship between the distance of a photographed object (p) and the focal length (f) can be expressed as follows:

(1/q) + (1/p) = (1/f)

Where 'q' is the image distance formed by the lens.

For very distant objects, 'p' becomes very large and (1/p) approaches zero, and the formula becomes:

(1/q) ≈ (1/f) or q ≈ f

The image for distant objects then forms approximately at the focal point and that is where the film is positioned. So, the distance from the film to the camera lens is approx. equal to the focal length.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hmm, ok, then for this question: if you take a photograph of you image in a plane mirror, how many meters away should you set your focus if you are 2 meters from the mirror?

I guess we could use the same formula and say that 1/f = 1/2 + 1/2 (since the image should be the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of it).

Is that correct?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you seem to be pretty good at this, here are three more questions for a $50 bonus.

(3) can you photograph your self in a mirror and focus the camera on both your image and the mirror frame? explain
(4) why do you have to put slides into a slide projector upside down
(5) maps of the moon are actually upside down. why?

If you don't want to answer them, I understand, and I'll throw them open to the group. Also, I'm out of here tonight so won't be able to respond until tomorrow.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I just saw your reply. If you would, please make a new post of these questions. Not sure if I can provide a detailed enough answer for these.

Thanks