Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Question 1 ofXXXXXof asking for action carries the

Customer Question
highest level of politeness? A. A...
Question 1 ofXXXXXof asking for action carries the highest level of politeness?
A. A polite order
B. An indirect request
C. A question
D. An order

Question 2 of 20

Which of the following statements most effectively applies the you-attitude?
A. "We began processing your application today."
B. "Your application is now being processed."
C. "We will have your application processed by next Thursday."
D. "Your application will be processed by next Thursday."

Question 3 of 20

"You can't qualify for a Home Beautiful credit card until you are 18 years old." Indicate the alternative that both correctly evaluates the sentence and correctly explains the reason for the evaluation.
A. Good you-attitude because it begins with the word "you"
B. Good you-attitude because it focuses on what the reader will (or won't) receive
C. Lacks you-attitude because it does not thank the reader for shopping at Home Beautiful
D. Lacks you-attitude because it does not protect the reader's feelings

Question 4 of 20

In which of the following situations would using the word "you" typically NOT be appropriate?
A. When you must inform a subordinate that she has inadvertently made a costly error
B. When you must inform a subordinate that you have passed her idea on to your superior
C. When you want to focus on what the reader will gain from your new policy
D. When you want to congratulate your subordinate for her promotion
Reset Selection

Question 5 of 20

You are attending a professional conference and are privileged to be introduced to Caroline Peters. You know nothing about her except that she is an executive at a very successful company. You have an idea that you would like to talk over with her. How should you address this person during your conversation?
A. Madam Vice President
B. Mrs. Peters
C. Caroline
D. Ms. Peters

Question 6 of 20

"XXXXX XXXXX, star of a highly rated local talk show and Juliana Karr, an African-American model, will co-host the new travel show." This statement is racist because:
A. it is grammatically incorrect.
B. race was mentioned for only one person described and it does not seem relevant to the story.
C. it compliments only one of the two hosts.
D. it does not describe the show itself in detail.

Question 7 of 20
You are writing to alumni of a fraternity raising money for a scholarship. If you cannot personalize the letters, what would be the best salutation?
A. "Dear Brother"
B. "Dear Sir"
C. "Dear Wealthy Alumnus"
D. "Dear Alpha Kappa Psi Member"

Question 8 of 20

In which of the following situations is it MOST appropriate to deemphasize negatives?
A. When the reader must correct a dangerous practice
B. When you are denying a customer's request for credit
C. When you are fining a company for polluting the environment
D. When you are hiding the negative news so you do not appear dishonest or unethical
Question 9 of 20

Which of the following is sexist?
A. "Our team leaders are Clarke Betz, Brian Earley, and Carole Wagner."
B. "Our new sales reps are Mr. Betz, Mr. Earley, and Ms. Wagner."
C. "Our new sales reps are Mr. Betz, Mr. Earley, and Carole."
D. "Our new sales reps are Clarke, Brian, and Carole."
Question 10 of 20

The dean of students is announcing a reception for new nontraditional students. Which of the following is the BEST subject line?
A. Nontraditional Students
B. Reception to Welcome Nontraditional Students Who are Attending the University for the First Time
C. Will You Help Us Welcome Nontraditional Students?
D. Reception for New Nontraditional Students

Question 11 of 20

What is a proper organizational strategy for an informative message?
A. Background information, negative elements, main idea(s), goodwill ending, benefits
B. Benefits, negative elements, main idea(s), benefits, background information, goodwill ending
C. Main idea(s), background information, negative elements, benefits, goodwill ending
D. Goodwill ending, benefits, negative elements, background information, main idea(s)

Question 12 of 20

Informative and positive messages are not necessarily short. Instead the length of a message depends on all of the following EXCEPT:
A. your purposes.
B. the audience's needs.
C. the complexity of the situation.
D. whether a letter
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Homework
2/1/2012
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 5 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for the question.

1. C. A question

2. D. "Your application will be processed by next Thursday."

3. D. Lacks you-attitude because it does not protect the reader's feelings

4. A. When you must inform a subordinate that she has inadvertently made a costly error

5. D. Ms. Peters

6. B. race was mentioned for only one person described and it does not seem relevant to the story.

7. A. "Dear Brother"

8. B. When you are denying a customer's request for credit

9. C. "Our new sales reps are Mr. Betz, Mr. Earley, and Carole."

10. D. Reception for New Nontraditional Students

11. C. Main idea(s), background information, negative elements, benefits, goodwill ending

12. D. whether a letter

Hope this helps!

Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for the question.

1. C. "We hope our decision meets with your approval."

2. A. put the topic, but not your action on it, in the subject line.

3. A. Yes, because it focuses on solving the problem.

4. A. Good positive emphasis because it focuses on the action the reader should take rather than on the fact that information was omitted from the form

5. C. "It turns out the problem is bigger than we thought; the entire compressor needs to be replaced, not just the belt. We can either replace it with a new or refurbished part or you may opt just to purchase a whole new machine."

6. C. Offer to send a knowledgeable colleague in her place.

7. D. Because workers who help make a decision are more likely to accept the consequences

8. C. use only the two strong reasons.

9. B. The reason reflects poorly on the company.

10. C. When you can offer an alternative that will still enable the reader to accomplish his or her goals

11. B. Persuasive problem-solving messages

12. B. The sales pattern

13. B. What points will the audience agree with?

14. C. Make it clear that you're recommending the student for the internship and then show how well and how long you've known her.

Hope this helps!

Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Which of the following is a characteristic of communication in high-context cultures?
A. Written agreements are binding.
B. There is reliance on nonverbal signs to communicate.
C. Oral agreements are not binding.
D. There is a preference for direct communication.

Which of the following would be the MOST useful strategy for learning to communicate effectively with international employees working in your overseas divisions?
A. Devote time to learning the rules for communicating with people from each of the countries you will be interacting with.
B. Choose managers for overseas divisions who are white, middle-class males. That way you eliminate much of the problem of intercultural communication because the people you'll deal with most often will still be from your own culture.
C. Arrange to meet in person with your international employees. Then you can rely on nonverbal signals to communicate effectively.
D. Be aware that both you and your international employees are influenced by your native culture. Awareness of the values, beliefs and practices in other cultures will help you communicate more effectively.

You are in a meeting with an international executive at his office. A colleague comes in to talk to him during your appointment and he accepts two phone calls. This probably means that:
A. he thinks you are less important than the other callers.
B. he is unorganized.
C. his culture is monochronic.
D. his culture is polychronic.

Nonverbal symbols:
A. cannot be studied or learned because they are an inherent part of a person.
B. have the same meaning within a single culture.
C. may be communicated from one person to another without the sender even realizing it.
D. are easy to clear up if they are misinterpreted because people are keenly aware of them when communicating.

Which of the following is NOT a good guideline to follow when writing to international audiences?
A. Write in the reader's language if you have any knowledge of the language at all; doing so greatly increases goodwill, even if you make mistakes.
B. Be aware that the reader benefits that would motivate a U.S. audience may need to be changed for international readers.
C. Avoid slang, contractions, and sports metaphors.
D. Make requests more indirect, unless you know that your reader understands North American behavior.

If a business associate from overseas refuses to look you in the eye while you and he are speaking, you should:
A. confront him and ask why he will not look you in the eye.
B. recognize that he is not telling you the truth.
C. keep moving, until you force him to look you in the eye.
D. understand that he may have learned that constant eye contact is not appropriate in a business situation.

In response to a compliment on his excellent oral presentation, a Japanese business executive replies, "No, it wasn't very good." Which of the following is the MOST likely explanation for this response?
A. He thought the person giving the compliment was his inferior.
B. He thought the comment was meant sarcastically.
C. He was giving the response to a compliment that is considered socially correct in his culture.
D. He really was not very well prepared for his presentation and he was embarrassed because his facts might not all be correct.

The emphasis given to one or more words in a sentence is:
A. volume.
B. stress.
C. pitch.
D. tone of voice.

You are speaking to a group of 25 people for 30 minutes. You should:
A. avoid changing pitch, volume, and tone throughout the presentation in order to sound consistent.
B. vary pitch, volume, and tone throughout the presentation in order to sound alert and intelligent.
C. speak loudly enough to be heard by all and with as high a pitch as possible so that your voice will carry through the room.
D. speak as softly as possible so that the audience will be forced to concentrate on what you say.

In order to appear more authoritative in a speaking situation, you should:
A. lower the pitch of your voice.
B. raise the pitch of your voice.
C. use a sing-song pattern.
D. avoid stressing syllables.

Dot planning is:
A. a role that individuals play in the group process.
B. a type of peer pressure.
C. a decision making strategy.
D. a stage in the life of a task group.

Positive roles and actions of individuals that help the group achieve its task goals include:
A. recognizing the contributions of members.
B. disagreeing with everything that is proposed.
C. restating major points, pulling ideas together, and summarizing decisions.
D. showing group members that they have been heard and that their ideas are being taken seriously.

Unsuccessful groups are more likely than successful groups to:
A. pay close attention to how something is said.
B. rationalize criticism.
C. deal directly with conflicts that emerge.
D. make important decisions together.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work