Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Plato believed that art was imperfect because it could not

fit his theory of ideal...
Plato believed that art was imperfect because it could not fit his theory of ideal forms, while Aristotle believed art was the expression of the human soul. Do you agree with Plato, Aristotle, or neither as these beliefs relate to painting?
Why or why not? Support your answer by referring to the influence painting may have on society and also the purpose of painting as a visual medium.
1/19/2012
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Former straight A Student - Now Mom

Jane T (LLC) :

HI, This piece is more about how you think of art and requires you to review your own thought on the subject rather than any knowledge of art or art forms. For example, to your first question, I can say that my view is that Aristotle was right. Most artists, particularly painters and performance artists, speak of thier need to create their art. Indeed, the comment by the performance artist in this article here is that she tries to convey her real experience of life. In the same way, the discussion of art here indicates how people put their cultural, religious, and educational views and beliefs in their work. These things are, ultimately, what express a person's soul - the reasons why he or she does something, like art. In the same way, society normally responds to art through its soul because people tend to find meaning or explanations for the human condition in art. People find feelings and can live through the art. For example, the article here talks about the effect one painting has had on the world and how people respond to it to illustrate why art touches the human soul as much as it is an expression of the human soul. Finally, this last article here provides a good discussion as to how it is that art expresses the soul of the artist because it is an expression of his or her most inner thoughts.

Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC)