Conflict Management/Collaboration Quiz – Week 4
Questions 1. Pseudo conflict occurs when individuals agree on an issue but because of poor communication, they believe they are in disagreement. T
2. Simple conflict occurs when the goals or ideas of the parties involved are incompatible. F
3. Ego conflict occurs when individuals become defensive about their positions because they feel attacked. F
4. Both Pseudo & Simple conflicts suggest the use of active listening as a means of managing the conflict. F
5. The term gunny-sacking refers to dredging up the past to use in a current situation of conflict. F
6. According to your text, the term conflict avoidance occurs when a group seeks to reduce the conflict and reach consensus without a critical assessment of the pertinent facts. F
7. Consensus occurs when group members support and are committed to a decision that the group has made. T
8. According to your text, a value and a belief are one and the same. F
9. Inductive reasoning is the process of going from a general statement to a specific conclusion. F
10. A fallacy is a false reasoning that occurs when someone attempts to arrive at a conclusion without proof. F
11. Deductive reasoning is a method of arriving at a general conclusion through the evaluation of data. T
12. Casual reasoning is the process of relating two events and concluding that one event caused the other event. T
13. Information Triage is the process of sorting through information you have gathered from your search in order to determine what is most useful and what needs critical attention. T
MULTIPLE CHOICE Questions Letter Response
14. Wilmot & Hocker (as cited by Beebe & Masterson, 2009) define conflict as all of the following EXCEPT: b. Being between two or more people
15. According to Beebe and Masterson (2009) what are the three types of conflict? d. All of these
16. Active listening involves all of the following EXCEPT: a. Being supportive
17. The XYZ formula is a characteristic of which conflict management style? b. Collaborative
18. When evaluating information you obtain off of the internet, all of the following are important to consider EXCEPT: d. All of these are important
19. According to your text, which of the following are conflict management styles: a. Avoidance, Compromise, Collaboration
FILL IN RESPONSES
20. What does your text offer as the four types of discussion questions? icebreaker questions, observation questions, interpretation questions and follow-up questions
21. The development of “if/then” statements is a characteristic of which type of discussion question?
Response à 22. Being controversial is a characteristic of which type of discussion question?
Response à 23. What are the four kinds of evidence available for use in group discussions? a. b. c. d.
24. List four of the five key technical skills, as discussed in your text that critical thinkers such as yourselves need to develop. a. b. c. d.
25. What are four of the six “common fallacies”, as discussed in your text? Ad hominem, appeal to ignorance, argument from omniscience and appeal to faith
Bonus Question – What is a syllogism?
A syllogism, also known as a logical appeal, is an inference that is derived from two other facts or premises. The inference is known as the conclusion.