Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Identify three common chemicals found in the home and discuss

their potential for toxicological poisoning...
Identify three common chemicals found in the home and discuss their potential for toxicological poisoning. Include what treatment, if any, is appropriate in these poisoning cases. Please cite a reference source for your response.
12/2/2011
Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher

Good evening,

I would vbe happy to provide your information for you. Please let me know if you require a specific length, (i.e. a paper) or rather detailed answers and explanations. Also, when is this due? Just let me know and I would be happy to help

Thank you kindly

Lisa

Saturday. 200 words detailed with explanations

This will be posted for you tomorrow evening

Thank you

Lisa

thanks
Smile
Thanks

Just wanted to let you knkow that your answers will be posted in a few hours

Thanks

Lisa

Good afternoon,

The following is the information that you need for your question:

Common Chemicals Found in the Home

In today's society, were there is an abundance of choices for all most any products a person needs to purchase, it is difficult to know the difference between products. When it comes to products commonly used in and around our homes, there is an overwhelmingly amount of choices, for everything from cleaning products to household scented products. How dangerous are these products that are so readily available in the stores? According to the National REsearch Council, "no toxic information is available for more that 80% of the chemicals in everyday used products. Less than 20% have been tested for acute effects and less than 10% have been tested for chronic, reproductive, or mutagentic effects. As if this information were not astonishing enough, the facts only get more alarming. MOre than 4.5 billion chemicals are known and more than 50,000 are commercially distributed. Also, testing is only done on single chemicals, not on chemicals that have a combination of chemical ingredients.

What are some of the most commonly used household chemicals? Air freshners are a multi-million dollar industry. The media is overloaded with commercials about this type of product. But, do not let the commercials trick you. MOst air freshners interfere with you ability to smell by disabling your nasal passages with an oil or a nerve deadening agent. Common chemicals in air freshners include formaldehyde, which is a highly toxic chemical known as carcinogen. Another harmful ingredient in most air freshners is phenol. This particular ingredient can cause hives, convulsions, circulatory problems, and in very severe cases coma or even death. Depending on the amount of contact with the harmful chemicals, for minor health issues, such as hives, benadrly is commonly used. For respiratory problems a trip to the doctor or ER is required. The usual response is medication given to asthmatics. This re-opened the air waves. For the most severe reactions, treatment is the same, but effectiveness depends upon the severeness of the reaction, and how long it takes to seek medical attention.

A second harmful household product is carpet and upholstery shampoos. These generally contain a highly toxic substance, perchlorethylene. This is a known carcinogen that damages the liver, kidneys and nervous system. Ammonium hydroxide is the other toxic chemical in these shampoos. This is a corrosive that irritates eyes, skin, and the respiratory passages. The only treatment know to be helpful to a person who experiences problems is to get to the hospital as soon as possible. For mild skin and eye cases, the area is washed and a solvent is applied. For more serious issues, the stomach may be pumped, medication administered, but, there is the risk of permanent damage.

A third harmful household product is laundry detergent. Most detergents contain sodium or calcium hypocrite. These are highly corrosive agents that can irritate the skin and eyes. Another toxic ingredient is hypochlorite bleach, which is a corrosive that can burn the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. The treatment for these toxic ingredients is the same as it is for carpet and upholstery shampoos. The key factor in any possible treatment is that if a health problem arises, to seek help as quickly as possible. Time is a key factor in attempting to ward off any type of permanent negative effects.

**Resources:

1. toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia

2. www. rense.com/general19/chemicals

3. achooallergy & air products

Thank you for allowing me to provide this for you. Please remember to click the accept button, and feel free to request me in the future.

Happy Holidays

Lisa

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher

I have a 200.00 Dollar question (paper) if you want it let me know, its inder essays I think, here is the title "select a topic in the field of fire technology of interest"

Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher