1. The process of making a copy of a DNA molecule is: (Points: 5)
2. __________ describes how a cell makes a protein from the protein coding sequence of a gene. (Points: 5)
3. The process of translation can be broken down into three basic steps. Which of the following is NOT one of these steps? (Points: 5)
4. When only one nucleotide base is involved in a mutation, this is called: (Points: 5)
5. There are four types of chromosomal aberrations. Which of the following does NOT belong in this group? (Points: 5)
6. Fibers extending from cell pole to cell pole are called the: (Points: 5)
7. An organelle used during animal cell division is the: (Points: 5)
8. The time it takes for cells to divide: (Points: 5)
varies, but it takes sophisticated equipment to measure this small difference.
depends on the health and environment of the cell.
does not vary at all, but is controlled by an internal clock.
varies widely and unpredictably in cells of the same local area of the same organism during any specific time period.
9. __________ may cause cancer. (Points: 5)
The polymerase chain reaction
10. The separation of homologous chromosomes is called: (Points: 5)
11. Different forms of the same gene are referred to as: (Points: 5)
12. The expression of a gene is called: (Points: 5)
13. In humans, the genes for blood type A and B show lack of dominance to one another and both dominate O. Two type O people would be able to have: (Points: 5)
IO IA IB IAB type children.
only O type children.
IO IA type children.
only AB type children.
14. A case of more than one gene influencing one phenotypic characteristic is called: (Points: 5)
15. The sex of mammals is determined by: (Points: 5)
the autosomes they receive.
the type of sex chromosomes received.
the number of recessive chromosomes received.
None of these answers is or may be a factor.
16. Using __________ it is possible to show the nucleotide sequence differences among individuals since no two people have the same nucleotide sequences. (Points: 5)
polymerase chain reaction
17. The laboratory procedure for copying selected segments of DNA is: (Points: 5)
the polymerase chain reaction.
a point mutation.
18. The __________ was a 13-year effort to determine the normal or healthy human DNA sequence. (Points: 5)
Embryo Cloning Project (ECP)
Human Genome Project (HGP)
Stem Cell Research Project (SRP)
Gene Therapy Project (GTP)
19. __________ reproduces many varieties of fruit trees and other plants by making cuttings of the plant and rooting the cuttings. (Points: 5)
Somatic cell transfer
20. __________ involves inserting genes, deleting genes, or manipulating the action of genes in order to cure or lessen the effect of genetic diseases. (Points: 5)
The role of a DNA librarian
Genetic therapeutic medicine