Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

2. Define a genetic mutation and state the types of genetic

mutations. Discuss the effects of...
2. Define a genetic mutation and state the types of genetic mutations. Discuss the effects of genetic mutations.

3. Compare the natural chemistry that takes place in the environment with the chemistry that takes place due to manmade factors like pollution. Discuss the effect of pollution at the local, regional, national, and global level.
11/2/2011
asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Hello! How long do these responses need to be?

two paragraphs

A genetic mutation is a change in the nucleotide sequence of a codon. There are several types of genetic mutations that include substitution, insertion, deletion and frame shift. A substitution is when one nucleotide replaces another. Insertion and a deletion are opposites, where when one nucleotide is added to or removed, respectively, from the codon sequence. Lastly, a frame shift mutation is a possible result of an insertion or deletion, where the codon sequence is altered and these different proteins can potentially be made. Not all mutations will cause changes in the synthesis of specific proteins, because these proteins are made from multiple codon sequences. Nevertheless, mutations can cause distinct changes to the DNA coding and body functionality.

The natural chemistry that takes place in the environment is altered when pollution from man made factors are present. The chemistry of a pristine versus altered environment differs in composition and concentration on the local, regional, national, and global level. In areas that are anthropogenically impacted there are often higher levels of carbon dioxide, phosphorus and nitrogen. This is a result of vehicle and factory emissions as well as fertilizers to support agricultural output. The amount of pollution created depends on state, federal, and international environmental standards as well as how populated areas are. Thus, the impact on a local, regional, and national level is completely dependent on the state and country. On global level, pollution is greatest in developing nations and particularly in developing urban areas.
Please click the green button so I receive credit for my work.
asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student

1. You mention frameshift, substitution, insertion, and deletion mutations. Can you give an example of a genetic disease associated with each? What kinds of symptoms present for these?

2. Can you identify a genetic mutation that would occur in the human body,also how might this mutation change the human body in a negative or positive way in terms of function or change?

Hello! Is this a new question? If so, please 'accept' the previous question's answer and then I can begin the next :)
Thank you! When is your new answer due?

friday

May I give you your answer late tonight, or tomorrow morning?
Ok, no problem, thank you

1. Frameshift mutation can be the cause of Tay-sachs diseases. Symptoms of this disease are the degeneration of the body mentally and physically, which begin to appear around 6 months of age and usually result in death by age 4. Insertion and deletions essentially cause frameshifts and either the insertion or deletion mutation can cause Huntington’s disease and Fragile X Syndrome. Symptoms of Huntington’s disease are muscular degeneration and mental degernation because it causes brain cells to die off. In Fragile X syndrome, males will become mentally challenged, whereas females are less affected. Substitution, or point mutation can be the cause of sickle cell disease. Symptoms of sickle cell anemia include being prone to illness and being very weak.

2. There is a mutation that is classified as “polymorphisms in the coagulation factor VII gene”, and it has a positive benefit to humans. If people have this mutation they are less likely to have heart attacks, also known as myocardial infractions. This mutation will surely decrease a person’s risk for heart disease and other associated heart problems. Please click the green button so I receive credit for my work.

asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Hello! Did you find the above answer satisfactory?
yes, thank you!
what is a codon? what happens to the amino acids sequence when the protein synthesis shows repeting triplets? What does it codes for?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student