Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Prepare a 750-1,000 word reflection essay on the rights and

Customer Question
Prepare a 750-1,000 word reflection...

Prepare a 750-1,000 word reflection essay on the rights and freedoms guaranteed to you as an American citizen in the Bill of Rights. Include the following: a) Discuss which freedom guaranteed to you in the First Amendment to the Constitution is most relevant to you personally. b) Analyze and discuss the significance of the Bill of Rights and subsequent notable amendments to U.S. democracy. c) Discuss the process for amending the Constitution. Is this a "fair" process? Explain.

I need this by Wednesday if possible so I can look it over. Thanks!

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 day by:
10/4/2011
Tutor: Dr. Wilson, Tutor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Wilson
Dr. Wilson, Tutor
I can have this for you by midnight Wednesday. If that works for you then I can write it.
I have to turn in my paper by midnight tonight (Wednesday) so if you can do it great!
OK let me get started. Since the questions specifically say "you" throughout, I will write this paper in first person.
Great! Thanks!

Just an update to let you know I have written the paper and am editing now.

Great! Thank you so much.
All done. Just trying to upload it not to 4shared. If I can't upload, I will paste it.
Ok just let me know. Thank you so much!
Have you been able to upload it? I haven't been able to see it yet. Just checking. Thanks!

Rights and Freedoms Guaranteed to All American Citizens

By: Your Name

It is uncontested throughout America that the pivotal point in American history is when the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights were written and applicable to all citizens in the country. To understand the significance of the Bill of Rights, one must understand that most Americans came from countries where the State controlled people and their property. Americans did not want England to control them anymore. Perhaps it was a disdain for servitude, or a longing for freedom, or perhaps it is the fact that Americans had to travel so far to reach America...whatever the reasons, Americans developed an "American Spirit" of sorts that understood the terrors of tyranny. Henceforth, the Bill of Rights were written to guarantee all peoples of the U.S.A. all of the enumerated freedoms in the Constitution and all freedoms that flow there from. Interestingly, and unbeknownst to most Americans, it is the Federal Government from which the first Americans were protecting themselves.

The Bill of Rights were written upon the American foundational belief that God has created all people with inalienable natural rights to life, liberty and property, and the federal government has no authority to deny these rights without due process of law. These rights include freedoms of religion, speech, a free press, free assembly, and free association, as well as the right to keep and bear arms.

The freedom most relevant to me.

The freedom most relevant and, hence, most important to me is the Freedom of Association in the First Amendment. This right covers the freedoms, for example, to belong to and attend functions for politics, religion, athletics and any other interests personal to the American citizen. To appreciate the magnitude of the impact of this freedom, one must find examples in other parts of the world where such rights does not exist; like in China, for example. In China, people may only attend state-approved churches. In recent news, a disobedient Chinese pastor began a gathering in his home for fellow believers. The Chinese told him to stop the gatherings and he did not. He was sent to a reeducation camp and sentenced to hard labor. The most telling, however, is that the government placed in his cell with him two officials who made sure he did not move his lips in prayer. When he did, he was tortured. Furthermore, attempting to associate with a party other than the state-run Chinese communist party to this day results in swift execution.

Such travesties in other countries, such as no Freedom of Association gives me pause, and causes my appreciation for my own freedoms in the U.S.A. to wax greatly.

The significance of the Bill of Rights and subsequent notable amendments to U.S. democracy.

A government run by the people, for the people and of the people is only successful if the people have inalienable rights. Even in a democracy, where people can vote for their leaders, the elected officials can end up with power never intended over the very people who elected them into office.

I believe the recipe for success of the United States of America (and, hence, U.S. Democracy) is due to two complimentary processes; 1) Citizens can elect others who can represent their interests; and 2) Citizens can remove elected officials if they fail to represent their interests.

Many think that a pure democracy, not a representative republic, would best determine the rights of American citizens. However, this is flawed reasoning. If the U.S.A. had a pure democracy where, for example, fifty people could run for president, then the result would be mob rule. A candidate could only recieve a very small percentage of the vote and still win. Hence, the candidate would only be representing a very small number on individuals. The representative process forces Americans to work together and compromise. It softens the process and is more inclusive without losing integrity or substance. The founding fathers were not careless is fashioning the way in which America should be governed. It affords freedom with responsibity which I, for one, take not for granted.

The process for amending the Constitution.

The most common method to amend the Constitution is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for a bill to be approved as an amendment. Then the amendment must be approved and ratified by three quarters of the states. There is a second but rarely used process whereby a Constitutional Convention is called by two-thirds of the state legislatures, and for that Convention to then propose one or more amendments. The amendments are sent to the states and must be ratified by three-fourths of the conventions.

*Is this process fair: Fairness has always been an essential part of the United States of America and her citizens. Perhaps when the Constitution was first implemented the question of whether the method of amending the Constitution and the fairness of the process could not be fully answered, as it was mainly just a theory. However, time has given proof to the fact that, although the process might not be perfect, it is as fair as it gets. The reason why history testifies to this is because terrible autrocities and wrongs have been made right via the amendment process. For example, slavery was abolished; women could vote; etc.

We have a representative government in America. The people elect others to represent their interests. The representatives are able to research and analyze proposals and amendments deeply and thoroughly, unlike the ordinary voter who must work, raise a family, etc. From there the representatives vote. If the representatives elected to not act in accordance to the promises they represented in order to be elected, it is the people who can remove them. Hence, having the representatives in government approve or disapprove amendments to the Contitution seems about as fair as it gets to me.

America is the greatest country in the world because she offers her people the power to determine their own destiny. This quality has made one of the youngest countries in the world (America) the most powerful, rich and generous country in the world...and nearly every person from other countries yearn to come to America, which others affectionately call, "The land of opportunity."

Reference

The United States Constitution

By: Your Name

The freedom most relevant to me.

Many think that a pure democracy, not a representative republic, would best determine the rights of American citizens. However, this is flawed reasoning. If the U.S.A. had a pure democracy where, for example, fifty people could run for president, then the result would be mob rule. A candidate could only receive a very small percentage of the vote and still win. Hence, the candidate would only be representing a very small number on individuals. The representative process forces Americans to work together and compromise. It softens the process and is more inclusive without losing integrity or substance. The founding fathers were not careless is fashioning the way in which America should be governed. It affords freedom with responsibity which I, for one, take not for granted.

*Is this process fair: Fairness has always been an essential part of the United States of America and her citizens. Perhaps when the Constitution was first implemented the question of whether the method of amending the Constitution and the fairness of the process could not be fully answered, as it was mainly just a theory. However, time has given proof to the fact that, although the process might not be perfect, it is as fair as it gets. The reason why history testifies to this is because terrible atrocities and wrongs have been made right via the amendment process. For example, slavery was abolished; women could vote; etc.

We have a representative government in America. The people elect others to represent their interests. The representatives are able to research and analyze proposals and amendments deeply and thoroughly, unlike the ordinary voter who must work, raise a family, etc. From there the representatives vote. If the representatives elected to not act in accordance to the promises they represented in order to be elected, it is the people who can remove them. Hence, having the representatives in government approve or disapprove amendments to the Constitution seems about as fair as it gets to me.

Reference

The United States Constitution

Dr. Wilson
Dr. Wilson, Tutor
I will try to post the answer on 4shared. The site is down and it is really stressing me out because that is where I post all my answers in perfect format.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Dr. Wilson
Dr. Wilson
Dr. Wilson, Tutor