Nancy
Nancy, Teacher
Experience:  Certified teacher with more than 20 years of experience teaching and mentoring children.
29014946

Do you think the public is ready to access this information

Customer Question

Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make heath care choices?

What steps can be put in place to ensure the public has access to such information? Consider the diverse range of the U.S. population – education levels, culture, language of preference, age, proficiency in the use of technology, etc.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Nancy replied 6 years ago.

Please provide more information about the question. Are you looking for an edit of a paper? You said, "Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make heath care choices?"

What is "this" information? Can you provide some more information about your "assignment"?

Thanks

Nancy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
talking about healthcare and the insurance.
Expert:  Nancy replied 6 years ago.

1. Is this a paper or a discussion/essay type question?

2. When is this due?

3. For what class is this assignment?

4. If this is for a paper have you started it and what about the length?

Nancy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
discussion, today by 4:30 pm 220words healthcare seminar class.
Expert:  Nancy replied 6 years ago.

Send me some of your thoughts on this topic. I will send you some bulleted points I think are important.

You don't have put your thoughts into an essay -- just send me what you might think about the topic.

Nancy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey is one of my classmate respond,

Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make health care choices?

History shows the public is not ready to access this information or use it to make health care choices. Only 30% of Americans said they had seen health care quality comparisons on health insurance plans, hospitals, or doctors in the past year (2007). (per the 2008 Update on Consumers' Views of Patient Safety and Quality Information -- Kaiser Family Foundation, 2008)

What steps can be put in place to ensure the public has access to such information?

What has not worked is the trend to have high deductible insurance plans and health savings accounts. These were initiated to have consumers make better, informed health care choices. It was thought this would decrease prices and improve quality. However, a majority of consumers are not making choices based on performance data. It appears that when quality has improved, it was based more on the fear that poor performance would threaten the reputation of the organization. (Rothberg 2008)

What will help consumers to make good decisions is publicly reported information that is accessible, understandable (this is important), and consistent. There are several groups rating hospitals, physicians, etc. The problem is they all use different standards to assess different measures ofstructure, process, and outcomes. They do not use consistent patient definitions or consistent reporting periods. (Rothberg 2008)

It is hard for consumers to make good choices when Leapfrog may rate a hospital (say for hip replacement) as doing the best job -- when HealthGrades may rate the same hospital as doing the worst job. They each have different standards. The public has a hard time interpreting the data provided.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is a web site,http://www.leapfroggroup.org
Expert:  Nancy replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.