Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Do you think the public is ready to access this information…

Customer Question
Do you think the public...
Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make heath care choices?

What steps can be put in place to ensure the public has access to such information? Consider the diverse range of the U.S. population – education levels, culture, language of preference, age, proficiency in the use of technology, etc.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
10/1/2011
Tutor: Nancy, Teacher replied 6 years ago
Nancy
Nancy, Teacher

Please provide more information about the question. Are you looking for an edit of a paper? You said, "Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make heath care choices?"

What is "this" information? Can you provide some more information about your "assignment"?

Thanks

Nancy

talking about healthcare and the insurance.

1. Is this a paper or a discussion/essay type question?

2. When is this due?

3. For what class is this assignment?

4. If this is for a paper have you started it and what about the length?

Nancy

discussion, today by 4:30 pm 220words healthcare seminar class.

Send me some of your thoughts on this topic. I will send you some bulleted points I think are important.

You don't have put your thoughts into an essay -- just send me what you might think about the topic.

Nancy

hey is one of my classmate respond,

Do you think the public is ready to access this information and what it may reveal, and to use it to make health care choices?

History shows the public is not ready to access this information or use it to make health care choices. Only 30% of Americans said they had seen health care quality comparisons on health insurance plans, hospitals, or doctors in the past year (2007). (per the 2008 Update on Consumers' Views of Patient Safety and Quality Information -- Kaiser Family Foundation, 2008)

What steps can be put in place to ensure the public has access to such information?

What has not worked is the trend to have high deductible insurance plans and health savings accounts. These were initiated to have consumers make better, informed health care choices. It was thought this would decrease prices and improve quality. However, a majority of consumers are not making choices based on performance data. It appears that when quality has improved, it was based more on the fear that poor performance would threaten the reputation of the organization. (Rothberg 2008)

What will help consumers to make good decisions is publicly reported information that is accessible, understandable (this is important), and consistent. There are several groups rating hospitals, physicians, etc. The problem is they all use different standards to assess different measures ofstructure, process, and outcomes. They do not use consistent patient definitions or consistent reporting periods. (Rothberg 2008)

It is hard for consumers to make good choices when Leapfrog may rate a hospital (say for hip replacement) as doing the best job -- when HealthGrades may rate the same hospital as doing the worst job. They each have different standards. The public has a hard time interpreting the data provided.

this is a web site,http://www.leapfroggroup.org
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.