Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Hey Alex I have some work for you. I got an F by the

Customer Question
way on the last assignment...
Hey Alex I have some work for you. I got an F by the way on the last assignment but I feel like we can do it well this time around.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
10/1/2011
Tutor: Alex, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Alex
Alex, Engineer

Alex :

Hi, I can't believe that. I do this for a living, maybe we misunderstood the question. Just post your question here and I'll see if I can help. If there's any doubt I don't provide an answer just for this very reason as I expect all my answers to be top notch. Let me know, Thanks

Customer :

no problem alex

Customer :

its 9 weeks long dont worry

Customer :

I am saving and attaching the document now

Customer :

its got one decent part up at the top then one single question, then a table below it that needs to be filled out. I attached all the info from my course that you might need

Customer :

plus its not lat minute

Customer :

last

Customer :

ok I am attaching now check it out.

Attachment: 2011-10-01_033128_alex.doc

Full Size Image

Customer :

did you get that?

Customer :

if you delete all of the mumbo jumbo I copied its not that much I just wanted the question for the number two problem to be spot on

Alex :

Yes, I received it. I can't look at it tonight but when is it due?

Customer :

when you come back let me know

Alex :

I'm online for a few and probably won't be working again until Sunday night. Let me know.

Customer :

Ok well sunday actually works perfect for me...

Customer :

remember that first question piece in that atttached paper then all the junk on the next two pages?? well I finished them on my own. I wrote my own BASIC Psudocode for question 2 and the top half it was just multiple choice so I figured that out as well So I guess I just need help on the lower portion of the paper. Why dont you repy to this when you can and I will just re attach what I need from you. BUT I want to make sure we are spot on I need a awesome grrade becuase its worth 90 points.

Customer :

1. I hope you get all of this because you are off line. SO I am attaching one PDF if you browse through section 2.2 and 2.3 you will see what she wants as far as the application level requirements for the currency conversion project.

Attachment: 2011-10-01_174841_it210_week1_reading1-2.pdf

Full Size Image

Customer :

Then this is what we need filled out. its called Appendix F what the instructor told me is that everything I need is right in that PDF from page 31 to about 43. here is what she wants:

• List the application-level requirements for the Currency Conversion project.

• Use a structured programming approach to generate an Input-Process-Output chart for the application.

• Generate the hierarchy chart for the application.

Customer :

I need to pull an A on this to get my grade up that last assignment killed me, but I want you to know that it was not your fault really, I should have been more specific, and she did deduct 10 points so I tecnically should have gotten a D. But that was week one out of nine so Im not that worried.

Customer :

So drop me a line on my email when you are on, I know you cant get to it until saturday and thats fine I just want to make sure you have everything. Thanks Alex. You da MAN ;)

Customer :

I mean I know you cant get to it until SUNDAY lol and thats fine just as long as its done by 1:30 am Sunday night/ Monday morning I have to post it by 2 am

Alex :

Hi, will look through at this tomorrow evening.

Customer :

Ok Alex I am going to be online from 9:30 untill we can get it dont so let me know when you log in ok?

Alex :

Hi, so is this what we are answering?

Alex :

2. The manager of the Super Supermarket would like to be able to

compute the unit price for products sold there. To do this, the

program should input the name and price of an item and its weight

in pounds and ounces. It should then determine and display the

unit price (the price per ounce) of the item.

Customer :

hey

Customer :

sorry went to the store real quick diapers)

Customer :

no

Customer :

The graph at the botom

Customer :

here ill reattach it

Customer :

however I want attach a pdf of my reading so we can be more concise as to what she is looking for

Alex :

I've already read through 2.2 and 2.3

Customer :

Oh reall

Customer :

y

Customer :

damn man you work fast

Customer :

did you get appendix F?

Alex :

Yes, I have appendix F open. just need to know which is the currency conversion program. Yes, I had a chance to read through it earlier today.

Customer :

you mean basic or c## ?

Alex :

No, what program are we creating the hierarchy chart for?

Alex :

I see the one about the grocery store discount, is that it because later it mentions the currency conversion program in appendix F

Customer :

I mean I made one for that question 2 question...will that help?

Customer :

ok Ill copy and paste

Customer :

its BASIC

Customer :

VISUAL

Alex :

That's fine, I'm just not sure which actual question we are answering...

Alex :

Know what I mean? Which program are we creating input output chart for? Question 2?

Customer :

hold on im looking

Customer :

I have it

Customer :

The Following can be accomplished using Psudocode, and a little programming knowhow. After reading through Chapter 2 as well as the Ebooks supplied in the University Library I have compiled the data necessary to assist the Manager of Super Super Market. Listed below is the input data, process data as well as the output data. I didn’t have exact numbers to work with so I kept it as through, but general as possible. Below is the Psudocode.

UnitPriceCalculator()
BEGIN
// Input Data
1. Prompt("Name: ");
2. name = getString(); // Get a string from screen as the name of the product
3. Prompt("Price: ");
4. price = getDouble(); // Get a double from screen as the price of the product
5. Prompt("Input weight: ");
6. Prompt("Pounds: ");
7. pounds = getInt(); // Get an integer from screen as the number of pounds of the product
8. Prompt("Ounces: ");
9. ounces = getInt(); // Get an integer from screen as the number of ounces of the product.
// Process Data
10. weight = pounds + (ounces + 0.0)/16;
// Compute the weight of the product in pounds, note that 1 pound = 16 ounces
11. unitPrice = price / weight; // Compute the unit price
// Output Data
12. Print("The unit price of the product is " + unitPrice);
END

Customer :

Whats your opinion

Customer :

Ive been studying more since I have been getting your help but I dont understand the heirarchy

Alex :

Yes, that looks good. That's the question I thought it was. Yes, I think I can help with the hierarchy and all that.

Alex :

Let's start with the requirements. Give me just a sec

Customer :

how does it look..honestly though

Customer :

I just wanted to know besides the monetary help...your giving me extra time to learn and you go above and beyond to help me understand. Thats all

Customer :

Take your time

Alex :

Personally, the pseudocode looks great. In practice it follows no specific format like an instructor will provide. What you have is concise and clear. Can't imagine she could ask for anything more.

Customer :

Requirements:

Complete the following assignment using Appendix F:

Customer :

You really think the instructor provided format (language) will help me learn other assembly languages?

Alex :

Yes, pseudocode is usually a good idea, especially starting out as it allows you to take something in plain english, break it down, and then apply it. Sometimes looking at the whole picture makes it more difficult, the text is correct in stating that everything should be broken down.

Customer :

well I got and 8 out of ten I guess I could find out what she though it didnt contain would it help? it would be attached to my submitted document

Alex :

Here's the 4 requirements I came up with:

Alex :

1. Create an application that will calculate the unit price of a particular item

3. The input data will be used to calculate the unit price of the item by converting the lbs and ounces to ounces and dividing by the price of the item.

4. Upon completion of the calculation the program should display the unit price per ounce of the item to the user.

Customer :

do you think that would be what she means by usinga structured programming approach to generate an Input-Process-Output chart for the application?

Customer :

no she wants you to list the questions based on her list at the top and preexisting chart in appendix f

Customer :

did you get apeendix F?

Alex :

Yes, that is the requirements for the first part of Appendix F

Customer :

I think she just wanted me to read those specifc pages to understand the application requirements

Alex :

Yes, I'm filling out appendix F just sending you the pieces as I go along.

Customer :

There are 5 application-level requirements

Customer :

your correct that it is the first part yes

Customer :

I get you

Customer :

I think she would want me to address the code I suspect that will ask for the items name?

Customer :

crap you said that already

Customer :

yeah I dont know that why I got you

Customer :

Im still trying to catch up

Alex :

Ok, let me send over what I have...

Alex :

Axia College Material

Appendix F

Application-Level Requirements

Application-Level Requirements List

5.

Input-Process-Output Chart

Complete the following Input-Process-Output chart for the application using a structured programming approach.

Input

Process

Output

User enters the name of the item, the price of the item, and the weight of the item in pounds and ounces

Convert the pounds and ounces to ounces by multiplying pounds by 16 and adding the remaining ounces.

Display the cost per ounce to the user

Divide the total ounces by the price of the item to get the unit cost

Hierarchy Chart

Complete a hierarchy chart for the application above by typing into the textboxes below.

Main Module

Input Product Data

Calculate Total Ounces

Compute per ounce price

Output Per Ounce Price

Alex :

Ok, that didn't paste well. Let me upload it.

Customer :

ok yeah its missing a fifth application requirement

Customer :

but the chart looks good

Alex :

Yeah, I can create a 5th if she really wants 5.

Alex :

http://www.mediafire.com/?43p0dku4p5n4hgz

Customer :

yep she will thats LILy its got to be in the reading

Alex :

Ok, she probably wants it broken down completely:

Alex :

3. The input data will be used to calculate the total ounces by converting pounds and ounces to ounces.

4. The program will compute the value of the price per ounce by dividing the price by the total ounces of the product.

5. Upon completion of the calculation the program should display the unit price per ounce of the item to the user.

Input-Process-Ou

Alex :

One other thing I found is an error in the pseudocode I'm correcting now.

Alex :

10. weight = (pounds * 16) + ounces

Alex :

If there's anything you don't understand let me know. Really all this is designed to get you to think in modules or simply finding ways to break down pieces to actually write the code. In a real world example programs usually have thousands of methods. There are many different ways to handle how that process goes from requirements to code but this is a good starting point.

Customer :

im comparing it now

Customer :

ahh

Customer :

so my math wouldnt have worked?

Customer :

or does it now follow how my psudocode should be written

Customer :

*have been

Alex :

math wouldn't have worked....

Alex :

your logic is fine, you've grasped how to break it down into pseudocode.

Customer :

ok and the Heirarchy Chart?

Alex :

Did you not get it or do you need explanation?

Customer :

do I just take the requirments?

Customer :

main module

Alex :

Oh, you're looking for an explanation. Here goes:

Customer :

on to

Customer :

on top

Customer :

then from left to right...input dat, perform calculations, output data results...

Alex :

The main module just means that everything in the program is controlled by one overall piece of code or logic which is the main module. It's the container for everything else so try and decouple that from the requirements in your mind.

Alex :

They may be similar in this case but the hierarchy is a breakdown into modules.

Alex :

So the main method simply contains the other individual methods.

Alex :

You read it top to bottom and left to right however keep in mind that that doesn't necessarily indicate order as we could have put any of the items at the bottom in any order as it's simply a way to break out the different pieces of code.

Alex :

Assume someone wrote the ounces/pounds conversion and someone else wrote the input part. They each created a module that will go into the overall main method.

Alex :

As a general rule it's easier to read top to bottom left to right and for everything you are doing I would say you are safe to assume that.

Alex :

The modules at the bottom are just small pieces that we can logically break down. Instead of saying "calculate the unit price per ounce" we break that down into 4 parts.

Customer :

ok lets assume entertain me

Customer :

of psudocode...

Customer :

4 different parts of psudocode

Customer :

3wecorrect?

Customer :

4 separate modules..if you will

Alex :

Yes, you're on the right track. Keep in mind that there's not a hard and fast rule and that can get a bit confusing.

Customer :

and then a comilier would interpret that data for you correct for the final product?

Alex :

For example, if i made the chart I would have 3 modules: Input product detail, compute price per ounce, output result

Customer :

keep in mind over the next nine weeks I have to desine and implent and then have completed that is a currency conversion soft ware

Alex :

The pseudocode would then get converted to real code in visual basic for example

Alex :

Which version of Visual Basic?

Customer :

im not sure yet I know it is on the student website I havent started yet but welll be in touch ill let you know.

Customer :

im gonna need you every week ill tip you well i really needed a tutor

Customer :

if you have the time

Customer :

and the teacher didnt have a problem with the psudocode by the way it was the math. I am bad at math. I think thats whats going to kill me in this class

Alex :

Well, the tips are certainly appreciated for the time commitment. Anything else I can help with tonight on this?

Customer :

anyways so what do you have for the other to modules for the hierarchy chart or should I just arrainge the application-level requirements on order top down, then left to right?

Alex :

I thought I sent the completed one. Let me check.

Alex :

This should have everything completed in it. Let me know: http://www.mediafire.com/?43p0dku4p5n4hgz

Alex :

Except for the requirements which I split into 5

Customer :

hold on a sec

Customer :

remeber media fire didnt work last time

Customer :

what did we use on the one from last week

Alex :

wikisend which wasn't working, let me try again.

Alex :

working now, try this: http://wikisend.com/download/245902/2011-10-03_015755_it210_appendix_f-1.doc

Customer :

do you have the saved convo?

Customer :

ok

Alex :

our chat will always be saved here.

Customer :

how do i get to our old ones?

Alex :

You can always view all your questions by clicking on my questions at the top.

Customer :

it looks good but explain why I wouldnt need to have 5 inputs, processes, and outputs?

Alex :

There are only 3 inputs: name, price, weight. You could put each on a different line but I grouped them as it's really one set of inputs.

Alex :

You just have one output: The per ounce price.

Alex :

The processes is broken down into several.

Customer :

well two in this specific case since she is refering to the original conversion program correct so just because its there doesnt necessarily mean that I have to put it there?

Alex :

Talking about the outputs? I just see the one. The currency conversion program is different type of example that probably has more than one output.

Alex :

A program can have multiple outputs. For example, if you calculate a mortgage you can output a payment and also output an amortization table for example.

Customer :

the currence conversion project was on 2.3

Alex :

It actually outputs 4 items. Item Name, Sale Price, Tax, and Total Price. You could list it as 4 outputs but I would probably list it as 1

Customer :

on pg 36? you mean?

Alex :

You're talking about this:

Alex :

Output Results module

Write “The item is: ”, ItemName
Write “Pre-sale price was: ”, OriginalPrice

Customer :

sales tax

Customer :

yeah is that how shw wants me to write it
?

Customer :

exactly

Alex :

No, not in the input output chart. That is pseudocode. The output chart is just an explanation of the items and not necessarily pseudocode although it can sound like it.

Customer :

no I know that

Customer :

the output is what the user should read right?

Alex :

Yes, the output is what gets displayed on the screen to the user. We are just saying in the chart that this is the information we will present and isn't meant to include the literal output.

Customer :

So I guss after each semi colon, from the reading is what she wants in the output colum

Customer :

?

Customer :

then processes is what needs to be written out for each? or what should happen written literally out for each process

Customer :

Input Data—input the variables ItemName, DiscountRate, and Original-
Price.

Alex :

The processes is broken down because there are several unique steps that are undertaken. The output is really one step, just write the price per ounce. The processes are a series of processes.

Alex :

Think of the processes as the individual steps to take the outputs and get them in the format so that they can be displayed to the user in the outputs sections.

Alex :

section.

Customer :

ok so broken down per 36 could you re attach it one more time please? I understand it now thank you very much

Customer :

per psudocode

Customer :

of course

Customer :

so for an input of iItemName

Alex :

Yes, here's the final: http://wikisend.com/download/245902/2011-10-03_015755_it210_appendix_f-1.doc

Customer :

The process should be me implenting the variables in code?

Alex :

Yes, the process is the manipulation of the input variables.

Customer :

variables to get the data for the user to read what the item name is???

Customer :

called output

Customer :

uhhh without you I would be dead in the water

Customer :

let me look at this then we will take care of businiess and you

Alex :

A variable is just the name we use to store the value that is entered. For example in your pseudocode:

Alex :

Alex :

name is XXXXX XXXXX of the variable holding the input value of the item name

Alex :

You could have called it ItemName or anything else for that matter

Customer :

so she doesn't want me to write out ItemName= getString(); // for the first line in the input fireld?

Customer :

what you wrote will suffice you think?

Alex :

Yes, I absolutely think so. I wouldn't put the item name = getstring()

Alex :

I've never seen that done.

Customer :

it was in the text book

Alex :

What page? I'll be back in 10 minutes.

Customer :

i think it might just be supplental code for the sake of us non programmers lol

Customer :

page 33

Customer :

brb

Customer :

ok im back

Alex :

Yeah, that's the actual pseudocode part, I wouldn't put that in there.

Customer :

ok well I accept

Alex :

Great, let me know how the grade goes on this one.

Alex
Alex, Engineer
alex its phil whit me back so we can chat about his weeks assignments. I have a couple things this weeks plus I need to show you the instructors feedback I am still getting c-d level grades due to lack of information. Its probably due to the fact that I didnt give you the syllabus but write me I have gmail open
Wow, whoever is grading this stuff must be pretty tough. Most people I work with are nailing As and Bs all around. Let me know what you have coming up and if you can copy the syllabus here that may help. May also want to see if there are other experts on here who have experience with Axia assignments which is very possible. I can help you get it posted in the right place if that may help. Certainly want to help but if there's someone who has already done this it might be worth a shot.
No I you are spot on she just tough I have been talkting to other students. I will need your help on the 16th but for now i will post the syllabus you will notice the assignment due on the 14th about the worm Im pretty sure its just going to be length of worm multiplied by number of movements equals distance travelled. howeve I guess she wants all of us to follow the guidelines on appendix E for every assignment so I will attach it as well when we meet on the 15th I will show you her how she graded my papers so we can improve. Thanks man. No worries Im sure we can pull off a good grade we still have 6 weeks to go.

APPENDIX E:

The following information demonstrates all the items you need to develop for your programming assignments and for the final project.

Analysis

Process:

1. Get user input

2. Find room area

3. Divide room area

4. Multiply gallons

5. Prompt for ounces

6. Display total

price (real: 0-100)

squareFeetPerGal (real: 0-1000)

width (real: 0-100)

length (real: 0-100)

height (real: 0-100)

Input:

Output:

total_cost (real: > 0)

Design

Main Module

Declare price as real

Declare squareFeetPerGal as real

Declare width as real

Declare length as real

Declare height as real

Declare totalArea as real

Declare gallonsNeeded as real

Declare outputPrompt as string

Declare totalCost as real

Get user input

Find room area

Divide room area

Multiply gallons

Display total

End Main Module

Input Data Module

Write, “What is the price per gallon of paint?”

Input price

Write, “How many square feet does each gallon cover?”

Input square_feet_per_gal

Write, “What is the height of the walls?”

Input height

Write, “What is the width of the walls?”

Input width

Write, “What is the length of the walls?”

Input length

End Input Data Module

Find Room Area Module

Declare sideArea as real

Declare frontBackArea as real

Declare ceilingArea as real

sideArea = 2*(length * height)

frontBackArea = 2*(width * height)

ceilingArea = width * length

totalArea = sideArea + frontBackArea + ceilingArea

End Find Room Area Module

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syllabus for this week :

Objectives

1

1.1 Demonstrate the iteration control structure.

1.2 Design complex program algorithms using the three basic control structures.

CheckPoint

Iteration Control Structure

Design a program that models the worm’s behavior in the following scenario:

A worm is moving toward an apple. Each time it moves, the worm cuts the distance between itself and the apple by its own body length until the worm is close enough to enter the apple. The worm can enter the apple when it is within a body length of the apple.

Day 5 – 10/14/11

30

Individual

Currency Conversion Design

Complete the hierarchy chart in Appendix H and the flowcharts in Appendix I, based on the Currency Conversion requirements and Input-Process-Output table you generated in Week Two.

Develop the pseudocode for the program design.

Post the assignment as an attachment.

Day 7 – 10/16/11

90

So I am going to attempt the checkpoint but I would like to meet up on the 15th at your convienence of course, to work on the currency conversion design appendix H is another Heirarchy chart, and I will attach appendix I

Attachment: 2011-10-14_071804_it210_appendix_i.doc

Attachment: 2011-10-14_072007_it210_appendix_h.doc

There is appendix H
So I will be available around 8 PM if that is conveinient for you so we can get started on this assignment. If tonight is not then we can plan for sunday. Let me know OK?? PS my teacher is literally retared I think. I wrote her a reply stating that I believe that she is grading to harsh, and that I just told her that I have reviewed my assignment asewers with a "programmer associate" at work and he said that my modules:Input, process, output...and psudocode all look right on... and she took that as an attack so now Im like great..im greenlighted for sure SO i made sure that I attached all of the appendixes H&I and I copied and pasted the syllabus for this weeks assignment as well as appendix E which she told us to use as a base model for all of our work. NOW...when we do start if you would like this weeks reading I can post that as well its on looping structures so I am supposing that she is going to want to use that?not sure I did actually use a counter controlloed looping structure for the Worm- apple checkpoint because of the variables involved. SO let me know when your available. I want to keep you as my tutor I dont want someone else. Thanks Alex

Attachment: 2011-10-15_190201_it210_week3_reading4.pdf

Here is the reading for this week it was the only chapter posted.
hey alex you online
I want to work on that assignment tonight my money is all straight so if you have appendix H&I that I submitted along with the syllabus and appendix e that I copied and pates we should be good to go
Hi, I'm online this evening. Let me know if you get on and where we are on this.
Im here did you get everything? accept my question so we can go into chat
I can't go back to chat here. Just open a new question and we can start from there or I can start with the one you opened for another expert. If you open a new one just let me know and I can find it.

Attachment: 2011-10-17_005327_it210_appendix_h.doc

Attachment: 2011-10-17_005345_it210_appendix_i.doc

Attachment: 2011-10-17_005440_it210_appendix_e.doc

I cant start another question they want to charge my credit card again I already have 45 on their hust open that question up and check it out

Appendix H& I need to be completed I beleive Appendix I is a looping structure so I will attach my ch 4 pdf so you can keep it with our curriculum. and appendix E is how she wants all the basis for all of our currency conversion asssignments. so that doesnt need to be filled out its just a jump off

Attachment: 2011-10-17_033711_it210_week3_reading4.pdf

Individual

Currency Conversion Design

Post the assignment as an attachment.

Alex
Alex
Alex, Engineer