GeologyTutor
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
10868375

Most active volcanoes are located on or near plate boundaires

Most active volcanoes are located on or near plate boundaires? What is an example of a volcano that is not on a plate boundary and describe a hypothesis consistent with plate tectonics that can explain it! Thank you!!
Hi there, my name isXXXXX and I would be more than happy to assist you with your homework question today!

Volcanoes that are not located on a plate boundary is called an "intraplate" volcano. This means, the volcano is located on a hot spot somewhere on a tectonic plate. In theory, tectonic plates sometimes move over hot spots which initiates the magma generation and volcano formation process. One prime example of this type of volcano would be the one located in Yellowstone National Park.

Click HERE for more information on this topic.

I hope this helps!
Homework Wiz, Tutor
Experience: 6 years tutoring
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience: Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
Hello again Steve. I see that another expert provided some added information about these specific types of volcanoes. However, the expert's information did not answer your question. Did you mean to ACCEPT my answer rather than hers?

Thanks!