Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. The process of learning one's culture while growing

1. The process of learning...

1. The process of learning one's culture while growing up in that culture is called: (Points: 5)
A. Acculturation.
B. Enculturation.
C. The culture concept.
D. A cognitive process.

2. Every aspect of culture influences every other aspect of that culture. Thus, culture is: (Points: 5)
A. Functionally integrated.
B. Dynamic and flexible.
C. Adaptive and diverse.
D. Learned and shared.

3. To be considered part of a culture, a behavior or custom must be: (Points: 5)
A. Genetically inherited.
B. Acquired by trial and error.
C. Invented within the group.
D. Shared by the group.

4. What is meant by the phrase "extrasomatic context"? (Points: 5)
A. Culture is not inherited genetically.
B. Culture is inherited genetically.
C. Culture is the result of a complex combination of genetic and environmental factors.
D. None of the above

5. Most aspects of contemporary cultures have come from: (Points: 5)
A. Internal innovations.
B. Internal inventions.
C. Diffusion.
D. Adaptations.

6. Homogeneous cultures are characterized as: (Points: 5)
A. Small groups that share the same ideas, beliefs, values, knowledge, and behaviors.
B. Small groups of the same ethnicity that do not share the same values.
C. Microcultures within a subculture that share the same material culture.
D. Large cultures that contain microcultures.

7. The adoption of cellular phone technology throughout the world illustrates that culture is: (Points: 5)
A. Diverse.
B. Cumulative.
C. Learned.
D. Dynamic.

8. The field of computer technology could be used to illustrate that culture is: (Points: 5)
A. Cumulative.
B. Learned.
C. Shared.
D. Patterned.

9. Anthropologists prefer that the term "race" be replaced with the following term: (Points: 5)
A. Subspecies.
B. Folk population.
C. Ethnic group.
D. Nation.

10. When anthropologists say that human traits demonstrate plasticity, they mean that traits are: (Points: 5)
A. Influenced by the way they develop during the growth process.
B. Modified by genetic errors.
C. Determined by DNA variations.
D. Determined by nutrition.

11. Linguistics became part of anthropology because: (Points: 5)
A. It provided a fast way to learn a language.
B. A knowledge of historical linguistics improved ethnographic fieldwork.
C. A linguistics study was often necessary prior to ethnographic fieldwork.
D. It was the first aspect of other cultures studied by anthropologists in the 1860s.

12. The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis states that: (Points: 5)
A. Language is an inevitable result of every culture.
B. Language constructs our perception of reality.
C. Linguistics is only applicable to cultures with written records.
D. Culture is the result of language.

13. You are a linguistic anthropologist studying the differences between suburbs and inner-city gang languages. What area of linguistic anthropology are you studying? (Points: 5)
A. Ddescriptive linguistics
B. Historical linguistics
C. Sociolinguistics
D. Ethnolinguistics

14. Shona speakers have only three names for the colors of the rainbow. This means that: (Points: 5)
A. They visually perceive only three colors.
B. Their language groups several colors into one term.
C. They have a genetic defect for color vision.
D. They only describe colors as warm, cool, and neutral.

15. Anthropological linguists hold the view that: (Points: 5)
A. Tagalog and English are the least complex languages.
B. Chinese and Tahitian are more complex than English.
C. Arawak is the most complex language spoken.
D. All human languages are complex.

16. Chimpanzees are not considered to have language because their communication system is: (Points: 5)
A. Open but lacks creative change.
B. Open but lacks syntax.
C. Closed and lacks displacement.
D. Closed and lacks calls.

17. Chomsky argues that: (Points: 5)
A. We are born with innate abilities to acquire language.
B. We are not born with innate language abilities.
C. Enculturation is primarily responsible for language acquisition.
D. Genetics and culture combine equally for us to acquire language.

18. The analysis of cultural gestures, facial expressions, and body positions is called: (Points: 5)
A. Kinesics.
B. Displacement.
C. Signing.
D. Proxemics.

19. The study of how people perceive and use space is called: (Points: 5)
A. Descriptive linguistics.
B. Symbolic communication.
C. Kinesics.
D. Proxemics.

20. The smallest combination of sounds that carry meaning is called: (Points: 5)
A. The morpheme.
B. The phoneme.
C. Syntax.
D. The labiodental fricative.

9/18/2011
Kathy
Kathy, Teacher
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Kathy
Kathy, Teacher
Kathy
Kathy
Kathy, Teacher