Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1) The message refers to which of the following A. The

1) The message refers to...
1) The message refers to which of the following?

A. The context of the communication
B. Ideas, thoughts, and feelings being communicated.
C. The medium that carries the information
D. The receiver’s response to the sender

2) In which of the following communication activities do people spend the greatest percent of their day?

A. Listening
B. Writing
C. Reading
D. Speaking

3) The term channel in communication means

A. the volume at which a message is received
B. the process of changing thoughts into symbols
C. the context of the communication
D. the medium through which a message travels from sender to receiver

4) When the receiver uses this response style, he clarifies or seeks more information.

A. Evaluating
B. Supporting
C. Paraphrasing
D. Questioning

5) This response style normally does not help unless the sender has asked for your advice.

A. Paraphrasing
B. Interpreting
C. Evaluating
D. Questioning

6) With this type of response, you analyze or teach the sender about the cause of his or her concern.

A. Evaluating
B. Paraphrasing
C. Interpreting
D. Questioning

7) Which of the following is the most reliable source of information?

A. Wikipedia®
B. A book recommended by your instructor
C. A blog
D. Britannica Online®

8) A claim is generally not considered credible if

A. it seems likely
B. the claimant is a disinterested party
C. the claimant is an interested party
D. it comes from a source assumed to be credible but who is not known to you

9) Which of the following is a category of reasonless advertising?

A. Logical ads
B. Functional ads
C. Promise ads
D. Endorsement ads

10) Stating someone has negative features and his claim is invalid is an example of which fallacy?

A. Ad hominem
B. Genetic fallacy
C. Straw man
D. False dilemma

11) Consider the following statement: “So what if the Senator accepted a little kickback money—most politicians are corrupt after all.” This is an example of which fallacy?

A. Argument from envy
B. Argument from tradition
C. Argument from common practice
D. Straw man

12) Providing only two choices when others are available defines which fallacy?

A. Ad hominem
B. Genetic fallacy
C. Straw man
D. False dilemma

13) Behavior descriptions should meet which of the following criteria?

A. Present inferences about another’s motives.
B. Describe only observable behaviors.
C. Include terms such as “never, always, or constantly.”
D. Focus on more than one behavior.

14) Measurable or observable characteristics of your audience are called

A. pseudographics
B. psychographics
C. demographics
D. statistics

15) Demographics include which of the following?

A. Ethnicity, gender, race
B. Attitudes, interests, values
C. Beliefs, feelings, likes
D. Values, morals, opinions

16) You want to discuss your performance review and possible raise with your boss. The most effective channel to do this would be

A. team meeting
B. text message
C. face-to-face
D. e-mail

17) Sound and light waves are an example of which part of the communication model?

A. Decoding
B. Channel
C. Noise
D. Encoding

18) Which communication method provides some of the benefits of face-to-face communication when all parties are not in the same location?

A. Vodcasting
B. Instant messaging
C. Teleconference
D. Videoconference

19) Which verbal support breaks down complex processes or concepts into their component parts to ensure understanding?

A. Definitions
B. Analyses
C. Descriptions
D. Comparisons

20) What type of language is used when communicating with classmates, coworkers, family, and friends?

A. Ceremonial
B. Official
C. Formal
D. Informal

21) When are nonverbal messages sent?

A. After verbal messages
B. Only when you want
C. Before verbal messages
D. Only in combination with verbal messages

22) If you try to persuade your classmates to donate canned goods for the hungry in your community, your topic is one of

A. pathos
B. policy
C. value
D. fact

23) When you use an expression like raining cats and dogs, you are using

A. contextual language
B. figurative language
C. denotative language
D. connotative language

24) The individuals you are most likely to influence with your persuasive presentation are referred to as your

A. target audience
B. peer audience
C. general audience
D. leading audience

25) When you display ethos in your persuasive presentation, you have

A. emotion
B. credibility
C. evidence
D. logic

26) When you lead, instruct, challenge, or introduce your audience to act on or accept your solution, you are at which step of Monroe’s Motivated Sequence?

A. Visualization
B. Action or approval
C. Attention
D. Solution

27) What logical fallacy can occur when a speaker focuses on similarities and ignores significant differences?

A. Hasty generalization
B. Faulty comparison
C.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2011
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work