Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1.The redrawing of legislative district lines on the basis

of new population information supplied...
1.The redrawing of legislative district lines on the basis of new population information supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau is called
a.realignment.
b.rearrangement
c.reapportionment.

2.The government is explicitly allowed to __________ under the provisions of the 2001 U.S. Patriot Act.
a.detain suspicious citizens
b.wire-tap phone lines
c.declare war on a country that might have chemical weapons

3.Who was the first president to grant Communist China official recognition?
a.Jimmy Carter
b.Gerald Ford
c.LynXXXXX XXXXX

4.Since the nation's founding, __________ individuals have been elected president.
a.37
b.42
c.38

5.The strength of a president depends on how much power lies within the executive branch. With this in mind, how would you classify the presidency of XXXXX XXXXX Taft?
a.weak
b.moderate
c.excessive

6.When does the vice president vote when serving as the president of the Senate?
a.when a conference committee cannot achieve consensus
b.only to break a tie
c.never

7.The War Powers Resolution was enacted at the end of which war?
a.World War I
b.World War II
c.Korean War

8.Which of the following statements regarding jurisdiction is TRUE?
a.The jurisdiction of both state courts and federal courts is very broad.
b.The jurisdiction of both state courts and federal courts is limited.
c.Whereas the jurisdiction of state courts is limited, that of the federal courts is very broad.

9.What is commonly referred to as the "fourth branch of the government"?
a.federal bureaucracy
b.judiciary
c.media

10.What is the role of the Senate Judiciary Committee in choosing a Supreme Court Judge?

a.to hold a hearing on whether to allow a nominee to be voted on by the Senate
b.create a background file on the nominee that they present to the Senate
c.work with the Justice Department to choose a nominee for the Senate to vote on

11.Stare decisis renders law
a.unnecessary.
b.stable and predictable
c.unpredictable.

12.What is the role of the inner cabinet in relation to the President?
a.counseling
b.legal advisors
c.information gatherers

13.Many of the independent regulatory commissions were created by Congress during the 1930s to

a.free Congress from the task of legislating complex aspects of the American economy.
b.free the executive from having to deal with bureaus of minor status.
c.to implement policies emanating from judicial rulings.

14.When the Supreme Court's announcement of its decision in a particular case involves the issuance of a concurring opinion, the concurring opinion is

a.merely characterized by the signatures of all the justices who concurred with the majority opinion of the court.

b.written by a justice who concurs with the majority opinion but disagrees with the reasons advanced to support the majority opinion

c.an opinion that the Chief Justice alone has the right to issue and is used to lend his support to a majority opinion written by another judge.

15.Participation rates for Americans in the political system beyond mere voting are generally

a.below 3 percent
b.below 10 percent.
c.consistently above 75 percent.

16.The Internet had a tremendous influence on the 2000 primaries for Senator John McCain.In what way did the Internet assist McCain's campaign?

a.by permitting him to answer more questions about his candidacy in one day than others had done in one year
b.by permitting him to raise large amounts of money in a relatively short time
c.through cyberpolitics

17.The Internet also permits candidates to conduct what other traditional campaign practices electronically?

a.attract volunteers and advertise
b.fundraising and meeting voters at the polls
c.voter polling and intimate conversation

18.The realignment theory and dealignment theory suggest reasons for the

a.increase in interest groups.
b.existence of one-party dominance within the American two-party system.
c.decline in party identification and increase in the number of independent voters.

19.Which of the following does NOT explain why one-party systems exist within a two-party system?

a.a local basis for party loyalty that overrides any other factor
b.party competition itself, such that the minority party in a given area is unable to change the situation
c.the two party system is inundated with multiple parties that aid one party's dominance
6/14/2011
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for the question

a.realignment.
b.rearrangement
c.reapportionment.

a.detain suspicious citizens
b.wire-tap phone lines

a.Jimmy Carter
b.Gerald Ford
c.LynXXXXX XXXXX

a.37
b.42
c.38 (including Obama)

a.weak
b.moderate
c.excessive

b.only to break a tie
c.never

a.World War I
b.World War II
c.Korean War
It was enacted in 1973 at the end of the Vietnam War (you may want to ask your instructor about this question).

a.federal bureaucracy
b.judiciary
c.media

11.Stare decisis renders law
a.unnecessary.
b.stable and predictable
c.unpredictable.

a.counseling
b.legal advisors
c.information gatherers

13..Many of the independent regulatory commissions were created by Congress during the 1930s to

a.below 3 percent
b.below 10 percent.
c.consistently above 75 percent.

Statistics vary, check your text on this one.

c.through cyberpolitics

a.attract volunteers and advertise

a.increase in interest groups.

Hope this helps!

ya thanks that helps i have two more questions than i will except

1.Media bias is an accusation that involves the media
a.being biased in favor of conservatives.
b.reporters having a liberal bias and the ownership having a conservative
c.ownership having a conservative bias and not hiring any reporters disagreeing with ownership.

2.Why is it difficult to gauge the effect of the Internet on the American political system?
a.use of the Internet is still too new to measure its full effects
b.hackers and viruses can undermine the political process
c.the Internet's effect on the American political system has been too small to measure
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work