Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Article Critique, Organizational, Theory, Design, and Change

Customer Question
Will give generous...

Will give generous bonus (amount negotiable), please submit by 12 Aug 2011

Article Critique – Unit III

This assignment requires that you review an article from one of the journals listed below* that relates to a topic of interest in organizational theory. A strategy for selecting an article is to look at the table of contents in your textbook and place key words into CSU’s Online Library search engine. The article should not be more than five years old. Select an article that has sufficient content that you can write a review of two pages in length. A sample Article Critique can be found in the second section of this document below.

List of journals:

Academy of Management Review

Administrative Science Quarterly

Business Finance

Decision Sciences

Financial Management

Forbes Magazine

Harvard Business Review

Healthcare Financial Management

Industrial and Labor Relations Review

Journal of Accountancy

Journal of Applied Economics and Policy

Journal of Applied Psychology

Journal of Business Ethics

Journal of Finance

Journal of Financial Statement Analysis

Journal of Management Studies

Personnel Today

Public Administration Quarterly

Outline your article in the following manner and adhere to the APA guidelines:

A brief introduction of the article.

A statement of the problem.

A description of procedures.

Flaws in the procedural design.

Analysis of the data.

Limited and justifiable conclusions.

A sample Article Critique can be found in the second section of this document below.

APA

R

Sample Article Critique

Statement of the Research Problem

The researchers state that while there is a widespread assumption that service delivery in the private sector is superior to that in the public sector a 1991 study by Miller and Miller found "generally favorable assessments…for most local government services" (Poister and Henry, 1994, p. 157). Poister and Henry’s (1994) study was designed to examine Georgia residents’ assessment of the quality of local public and private sector services. The survey responses were reviewed to determine how the assessment of the quality of public services compared with that of private sector services. In addition, perceptions of the public were compared with those of recent consumers.

Poister and Henry (1994) provide an adequate literature review on service quality, including several studies on quality in the public sector. The scope of their study was limited to Georgia residents. They did not provide precise meanings of significant words, but this is probably not unusual in descriptive research. Their definition of this research question was adequate.

Description of the Research Procedure

The researchers provided information on their method of collecting data. It was sufficient to allow evaluation of their method and permit duplication of their study. The mention of a "computer assisted telephone interviewing system" (Poister and Henry, 1994, p. 156) was somewhat unclear. Was the system only used to select respondents and assign them sets of questions or was the interview actually conducted by the computer? Even with standardized responses the possibility of interviewer bias exists through inflection and prompts. This would not be a factor if a computer conducted the interview.

Flaws in Procedural Design

The researchers did discuss the difficulty of attempting to parallel public and private services. While agreeing that direct comparisons in many types of services were impossible, they attempted to compensate for this by soliciting ratings across broad slates of public and private services. Poister and Henry (1994) discussed the wide variation in quality ratings of both sectors. They emphasized that their findings should only be viewed in an overall context and not as a direct comparison of any one service.

Analysis of Data

As previously mentioned, the sample characteristics of the Georgia study favorably compared to the population characteristics. Results paralleling the Miller and Miller (1992) findings tend to support the reliability of the Georgia study. The findings of the ratings of recent users versus those of the public are also supported by the studies of Katz et al. (1975). A minimum of information is given on the statistical findings. The mean, standard deviation, and significance are given in an easy to read table and provide the basic necessities for evaluation.

Limited and Justifiable Conclusions

Poister and Henry (1994) posed their central question as: "How does the public’s assessment of the quality of specific public services compare with that of private sector services?" (p. 156). The specific conclusion of this study is that "Georgia residents exhibited no particular tendency to rate the quality of local public services as better or worse than other services provided by businesses in their local communities" (p. 158). This study supports only this specific conclusion.

This is a descriptive study of the perception of service delivery in the public sector compared to that in the private sector. The design of this study is not complex, and it reports fairly simple statistical data. As in most descriptive research, it does not attempt to answer the question why, but lays a foundation for future research of that question.

*Used by permission of Ms. Jolley

equires the APA format. Therefore, the APA rules for formatting, quoting, paraphrasing, citing, and listing of sources are to be followed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
Relist: I still need help.
Relist: I still need help.
Relist: I still need help.
Answered in 59 days by:
8/8/2011
Tutor: RopTeam, Bachelors Degree replied 6 years ago
RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree

Hi, I can complete this for you. Is the project to write a 2 page review of an article from one of those journal topics listed correct?

thanks,

toneemarie

I look forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Yes, thank you so much! If you just format it accoring to the example it would be great. I really appreciate it.

No problem,I will get started. thanks

Looking at this article from Academy of Management Journal

http://journals.aomonline.org/amj/images/awards/2007.pdf

tm

Works for me, thank you again!
Hello again. I see the question is now closed, should I relist or leave as is?

Hi, Here is first draft....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g0l6fy3rjz6ipe3/ja-aomonline.doc

should finish up by weds pm or sooner.

tm

Looks good so far, thanks for the update

Hi Latressa. Here is the final post.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7530kqa2ilm3mvm/ja-aomonline-001.doc

thank you,

tm

Thank you! Please lock it so no one has access to it. Let me know what type of bonus you would like so I can make additional deposit and pay you. Thank you again!

Ok Will do. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX decide is appreciated.

toneemarie

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
RopTeam
RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree