GeologyTutor
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
10868375

Your friend Thomas wants to know why scientists cant just

Your friend Thomas wants to know why scientists can’t just take the egg cell, with its own
nucleus intact, and shock it to begin cell division. How do you answer him?
Category: Homework
Expert:  GeologyTutor replied 6 years ago.
Hello, the egg cell is a zygote and only has half of the DNA of a body cell. It needs to be fertilized by a sperm (that also has half of the DNA)in order to create body cells.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you go into a little bit more detail on that.
Yes, I am finishing something up and will get right back to you in about 20 minutes.

Hello, actually it is good that I looked at this again because I mis-spoke in my first post. The egg cell is not a zygote until it is fertilized. Each cell starts out with 23 pairs of chromosomes. For the egg cell, the chromosome pairs are copied once and the cell divides, then it goes through meiosis where the chromosomes do not replicate themselves and instead of 23 pairs of chromosomes, the 4 resulting daughter cells have 23 individual chromosomes. So, because of meiosis, if an egg cell were to replicate, it would still only be capable of producing 23 individual chromosomes instead of the 23 pairs needed for a body cell.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so based on what you just wrote, how would you summarize that? why scientists can't just take the egg cell, with its own nucleus intact, and shock it to begin cell division

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.