Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. The rationale for punishment and correction comes from A.

Customer Question
the social contract theory. B...
1. The rationale for punishment and correction comes from A. the social contract theory. B. Rawls's theory. C. utilitarianism. D. egoism.
2. The two major justifications for treatment and punishment are A. incapacitation and deterrence. B. just deserts and retribution. C. retribution and prevention. D. restorative justice and prevention.
3. Which of the following statements applies to the retributive rationale for punishment? A. Justice is based on personal vengeance. B. Punishment is the only way the individual can achieve salvation. C. Punishment doesn't balance the advantage gained by a wrongdoer. D. This rationale is based solely on who the criminal is rather than on the criminal's actions.
4. The "just war" is consistent with a system of ethics that follows A. utilitarianism. C. egoism. B. ethical formalism. D. cultural relativity.
5. The federal legislation that allows agencies to spy on Americans without reasonable suspicion is the _______ Act. A. Total Information Awareness C. Patriot B. Operation TIPS D. Terrorist
6. Under which rationale is punishing a passion murderer justified? A. Retribution C. Restorative justice B. Deterrence D. Incapacitation
7. Habitual-felon laws are A. not widely debated. B. involved with only the felon's most recent crime. C. almost universally agreed upon. D. not unconstitutional.
8. Which ethical system supports the prevention justification for punishment? A. Ethical formalism C. Utilitarianism B. Relativism D. Egoism
9. Which ethical system supports the retributive view of punishment? A. Ethical formalism C. Utilitarianism B. Relativism D. Egoism
10. The ethics of care supports which of the following? A. Treatment C. Deterrence B. Retributive punishment D. Just deserts
11. Which of the following statements applies to Rawls's defense of punishment? A. It's an alternative to utilitarianism and retributivism. B. It's acceptable to treat people as a means to an end as long as you're trying to reach a desirable goal. C. Loss of rights should occur only when it's consistent with the best interests of the least advantaged. D. Punishment should continue even when the offender instead of the victim or society becomes the one with the least advantage.
12. Which of the following ethical systems can both support and condemn capital punishment? A. Ethics of care C. Ethical formalism B. Retributivism D. Utilitarianism
13. Which of the following statements applies to correctional officers? A. The correctional officers' code of ethics bears little similarity to the law enforcement code of ethics. B. The correctional officers' code of ethics emphasizes integrity, protection of individual rights, and service to the public. C. The correctional officers' subculture permits lugging drugs and weapons for inmates. D. The correctional officers' subculture is fairly consistent with their formal code of ethics.
14. A nation's incursion into the sovereignty of another nation under the auspices of a United Nations treaty is justified under A. positivist law. C. natural law. B. just war theory. D. self-defense.
15. Which of the following rationales would support capital punishment? A. Ethics of care C. Incapacitation B. Retributivism D. Religion
16. Which of the following systems of belief is concerned with making victims whole, as they were before the crime? A. Retributivism C. Restorative justice B. Deterrence D. Treatment
17. Detainees in Guantanamo have the right to challenge their detention in United States federal courts under the U.S. Supreme Court case of A. Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. C. Bin Laden v. Gonzalez. B. Clark v. Martinez. D. Rasul v. Bush.
18. Which of the following actions applies to the correctional officers' code of ethics? A. Acceptance of gifts, services, or favors B. Protection of the public's right to be safeguarded from criminal activity C. Use of discretion regarding objectivity D. Support of officer sanctions against inmates on a case-by-case basis
19. The "war on terror" has replaced the A. crime control emphasis of police. B. "war on drugs." C. "race for space." D. Cold War.
20. Which of the following applies to the subculture of probation and parole officers? A. A norm of optimism regarding clients exists. B. A norm against informing on fellow officers exists. C. A norm of maximal work output exists. D. A norm of group versus individual decisions exists.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
4/21/2011
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 6 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work